iPad for showing portfolios: two questions

<p>Hi all,</p>

<p>1. What image size do you upload to an ipad? at first I thought 1024x768, native; but then I noticed that everyone uses their fingers to try and enlarge my portfolio photos to see more detail. So how large should I upload? 2048 longest size?</p>

<p>2. Using what app? iTunes is useless. Cannot sort, cannot delete, etc. Is there a better one? Please? :-)</p>

<p>Michael<br>

<p><b>Signature URL removed, not allowed per photo.net guidelines.</b></p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'm not sure about what resolution (since iTunes "optimizes" all photos you sync), but as far as your second question:</p>

<p>Set up a folder on your computer desktop labeled "Portfolio". Fill it with the photos you wish to present, and you can sort them by renaming them in sequence such as 01.jpg, 02.jpg, ect. In iTunes, you can tell your iPad to sync photos from a specific folder - choose your portfolio folder.</p>

<p>You can also nest folders within your Portfolio folder if you wish to differentiate between your different styles of photography. They'll show up in your photos app as different sets.</p>

<p>Ben,<br>

But that's the problem. I can't do it on my Mac if my Mac isn't with me. It is ridiculous that we have to go backl to the Mac to do this. My Mac is in Oakville, Ontario; my iPad is where I am - 100 miles away or next week for instance, in Vegas.</p>

<ul>

<li>Renaming. So I am a photog for a living. Meaning I have thousands of images. Hundreds on the iPad. So I need to rename them all the time? Not very practical.</li>

<li>Synch with my MacBook? Then I cannot sync with the iMac that has everything. And also, then I need to carry both a Macbook and an iPad, which defeats the object. Not very practical.</li>

</ul>

<p>Surely Apple intends this to be a useful tool... is there no app that will allow me to rearrange, even to delete pic, without having to drive home first from wherever I am?<br>

The sig was there to show the kind of work I do. Forbidden, eh? :-)<br>

Michael<br>

___<br>

Michael Willems, Photographer</p>

<p> </p>

<p>iPad is not a computer. The contents is governed by iTunes. Apple wants to know what you keep on your iPad.</p>

<p>Follow iTunes operations on your main computer, and synchronize with iPad. You can delete from iTunes on your computer, and after resynchronization with iPad, it will also be deleted from iPad.</p>

<p>When your pictures are imported from computer to iPad by iTunes, you have no freedom to tell what sizes of destination pictures you prefer to keep in iPad, because iPad is not a computer.</p>

<p>1_i have a ipad to show my portfolio</p>

<p>2_my image are crop to the ipad format to make full use of the screen, will check the resolution later, but its not big as i dont mind having smaller picture with me.. its like havign a portable web site without a internet connection ; )</p>

<p>People can double tap them and get a bigger image, even pinch them a bit to see closer detail..but its like zooming at 200% in Photoshop.. dont see the point.</p>

<p>3_I then after use Iphoto to sort my images, then i use Itune (no choice) to exchange data, after this, i use the picture icon on my Ipad to acces my images.</p>

<p>The Ipad is not a computer, its kind of a digital wallet.. for now, you cant add / delete image without itune.</p>

<p>When you understand what is and what is not a Ipad you will see that it is a amzing tool! I have a macbook pro that i didtn use for the past 3 weeks... the Ipad is really practical for me to manage my agenda, telephone, acces the web, show my portfolio, email, to give my conference (image are save as jpeg, folder is create in Iphoto, then uplaod via Itune to a folder on my ipad) connect to a projector...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>C'est vraie, c'est un outil très convenient. Except for the way I have to go back to iTunes.</p>

<p>For instance next week I am in Vegas. But my iMac will be in Canada. So if I want to show some of the pictures I take during he trip, I cannot do it? Or when I shoot a wedding, the same?</p>

<p>Surely someone will write an app to make it even better? I miss three things in particular:</p>

<ul>

<li>Ability to add/arrange photos without adding/renaming in iTunes</li>

<li>Ability to use html email signatures</li>

<li>Ability to update my blog and to upload images to facebook (Safari will not work well with Wordpress or Facebook)</li>

</ul>

<p>When someone comes up with better ways for those three, great!</p>

<p> </p>

Just create a folder from the Finder. Name it something like "iPad Photos."

I use a Lightroom Collection to manage my portfolio pix; for arranging, etc. Export that Collection at the resampled size you want (I use the iPad's native size) to the folder you just created in the first step ("iPad Photos").

Plug in your iPad, and then from within iTunes, select that folder for import, and then sync.

Easy, no iPhoto necessary. Anytime you want to update your iPad portfolio, just export the updated Collection to that folder and resync your iPad. One of these days wireless syncing will be available making it even easier.

I have created several portfolios of subject matter using that method. Each is an individual gallery on my iPad.

Works great...

www.citysnaps.net

<p>As Patrick has said, get the camera adapter.</p>

<p>You can either use the SD card adapter, or the USB adapter to add photos to your iPad without the use of your mac or itunes.</p>

<p>I use a sandisk CF card adapter connected to the USB adapter to upload and delete photos taken with my D300. I dont resize them or convert them in any way from the NEF file that I shoot in.</p>

<p>You can choose which photos to upload, or simply select all.</p>

<p>They display in full screen without having to enlarge them at all. Since the iPad is not a 3:2 ratio screen you will get black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. A double tap to the screen will zoom in on the photo as well.</p>

<p>There are <a href="http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/11/verizon-confirms-its-working-on-a-tablet-with-google/">Android tablets coming</a> with USB connections plus a lot more that will make them more like computers, but then again you're tied to Android apps.</p>

<p>Some tablets <a href="http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/pioneer-computers-dreambook-epad-a10-windows-7-tablet-28-06-2010/">will run full Windows 7 for complete versatility</a>, but I understand they're not as 'slick' as an iPad even though <a href="http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/tablet-pc">Win 7 is fully multi-touch enabled</a>.</p>

<p>Maybe Apple will release a more robust iPad.</p>

I'm not getting it.  You want to create portfolios for your iPad. But don't want to involve a computer?

How do you process your photos? Yes, there are some pretty good iPad photo editing apps - I've tried a few. But as of yet no Lightroom or PS.

If you're talking about processed photos (via LR or PS via another computer), why not just export them to a folder and sync them up. It really is easy. No need to use memory cards, iPhoto etc. Just create a LR export preset to name, size and output sharpen appropriately from a collection to a folder. Lightroom makes iPad portfolio management so easy.

Also, if you really really need access to your home computer (not zippy enough for photo processing/editing, IMO), you can use one of two very good iPad remote access programs (iTeleport and LogMeIn) to control your computer.

www.citysnaps.net

• 7 months later...
<p>hey use this sort shots app.It will solve all your problems.you can easily organize the pics.it includes the feature of tagging the pics & Tagging options include personalized keywords, ratings, favourites, or type of media – photo or video. Tapping on a tag provides instant results so that we can further refine our search with additional tags and keywords.</p>