Best lens to rent for MLB game

chauncey_huffman

<p>I realize that there are questions similar to this on the forum, but I couldn't find one that truly answered my question.<br>

I have a D90 w/grip and I am going to an MLB game in a month. I want to get some good "close up" shots. What I mean is, I want to be able to get sharp shots of the batters hitting the ball, and maybe some sliding plays at second base, action shots etc. My seats will be right behind the dugout (2nd row) for the first game, and the first row of right field for the next game. I am going to rent a lens to get the job done, and I'm pretty sure that I'm limited to the size that they will allow in the park, so lenses like the 300 2.8 are out. The one's that are at the top of my list are; Nikon 70-200, Nikon 80-400 (although I've heard bad things about it's slow AF), Sigma 100-300, and the Nikon 70-300VR. I don't have much experience with sports, and I'm just doing this for fun, not for $, but I would still like to get the best shots possible. Thanks!<br>

P.S. I'm a wedding and portrait photographer, so any sports shooting tips would be appreciated as well!</p>

<p>That brings up another question Rob. I've already sent an email to the officials of the team asking them that very question. I've seen people with similar equipment in the stands before, and they looked like regular fans to me, that's what makes me think that it's even possible.</p>

<p>Well certainly every stadium is different and day-of, the guards working the gates will likely apply the rules differently too. You should contact the stadium to see what they do and do not allow. Maybe you'll be able to take a telephoto after all.</p>

<p>Shooting baseball, especially if you pre-focus on where the action is going to be, doesn't require fast AF all the time. If it's a day game, like this one was, A D90 with a slow 200mm looks like this from RIGHT behind the dugout (2nd row) at a minor league game. I think you might get by with the 70-300 VR if you must.</p><div>00WlpQ-255617584.jpg.a7cbb51656a74c25796116ac8782c50d.jpg</div>

<p>Consider the 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII plus a <a href="http://www.borrowlenses.com/product/nikon_tele/Nikon_TC_20EIII">TC-20e III Teleconverter</a>. If you can get in with the 70-200, the teleconverter (which you'd just keep in your bag until you got in) is a relatively unobtrusive way to get a very long reach with that lens. On a D90, the 70-200 is already equal to a 105-300 mm lens on full-frame, so the teleconverter gets you to 600mm equivalent. You'll lose 2 stops of light with the teleconverter, but you can get mite-on-a-nose-hair resolving power with that combination, without calling too much attention to yourself. </p>

<p>Ditto with the 70-200 and the teleconverter! You'll be fine with those two... I wouldn't pair the teleconverter with the 70-300 though... I also would stay away from the 80-400 - it's good, better than people give it credit for, but slow.</p>

<p>Also, see if you can rent the new Nikkor 200-400. It's only a little bigger than the 70-200 and does offer amazing quality (according to tests - unfortunately, not mine...)</p>

<p>Aside from the lens issue, I would shoot in RAW or RAW plus jpeg. Thw white balance might have to be adjusted especially if any of the artificial lights are on. If the game is at night, do not assume that the lights (and white balance) are the same for each part of the field. I know they are not at the ballpark in Houston, TX, according to the sports photographers who shoot there. Joe Smith</p>

<p>I hate to be a negative Nancy, but as someone who shot baseball among other sports for my college paper, most any location in the stands is not going to give you the angles you want for good baseball photography. My opinion is to just leave the camera at home and enjoy the game, and find some little league / high school / college game to shoot.</p>

<p>I just checked with the Houston Astros that play at Minute Maid Park. They told me that MLB has a rule that limits all lenses in ballparks to 4.5 inches unless you have a commercial pass. I am willing to bet that this rule is not well enforced at ballparks. Joe smith</p>

<p>Thanks Joe. I sent that email to the park a few days ago and I haven't gotten a response yet. I searched on their website a bit and found this: http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/kc/ballpark/kc_ballpark_security.jsp. In the screened box under Ballpark Security is says that "Camera with 12" or more lenses" will not be allowed. If that's true, then the 70-200 should be okay, and I could just stow the TC. It's kind of worrying me though. I don't want to spend the $ to rent the lens and be turned away. I guess I'll call and print that page off to show evidence at the gate, and just hope for the best!</p>

<p>I've gone to several Oakland A's games and they've had no problem with my 300mm f/4 lens. They even allow monopods to help hold it up for long periods of time (no tripods though). Took a printed email from the ballclub with me though to show security that its ok to have longer lenses and a monopod. Just be considerate of the people around you when using them. You can get great pictures from the first 10-15 rows, depending, of course, where you are in the stadium, how big the foul areas are, and how good the lighting is. I got pictures sharp enough with this setup to see the stitches on the ball as it was delivered to the plate. A 1.4 TC also helps, and as someone pointed out, can hide in your pocket entering the stadium. Ushers will also usually let you walk down to the front of the aisle right next to the field for a few minutes for pictures. That's usually the best perspective, too. Good luck!</p>