quality versus weight?

harveysteeves

<p>at the end of July, I hope to head off on a photo tour of the Palouse country in eastern Washington. Ordinarily, I would just travel with the kitchen sink but in this case, I am having a hip replaced in a week so I will be traveling on about 3 weeks recovery time. It has been suggested to me I simply put this off till next year - could be dead then. I figure with good insurance and good behavior, I will be fine. My problem is - do I go with the big dogs ( the Fx cameras) or the little dogs ( the Dx cameras)? I will assume my carrying capabilities will be limited but on the other hand, there are missed opportunities. I hate the one that got away. I can rationalize either choice - the D700 is only a little bigger than the D90 but the glass gets significantly larger and heavier. ( of course, if I found a driver for the beater motorhome, I could still take it all).<br>

could also skip the surgery, wait till winter, fall on the ice, solve the problem ....</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Sounds like weight will be a big deal but why not wait until after the surgery and then decide what you're comfortable carrying, since it sounds like you've already got the equipment. I wouldn't worry about it too much - the D700 is better than the D90, but the D90 is still excellent assuming you've got good lenses for it and it doesn't seem worth hurting yourself just to carry a bigger camera.</p>

<p>thank-you Andrew, a lot of zooms are my choices and I mortgaged my future to get a D3x which I will only be able to look at for awhile but that thing ain't light. Still, mainly zooms with it too. As far as comfort, a nice little Fuji FS 10 might fit the bill - I thought maybe I could find someone willing to carry and set up the camera for me ... catch them in a sympathy moment until they walk away with the camera and I can't catch them ...</p>

<p>Consider the little Olympus micro 4/3 guy. It's AMAZING.</p>

<p>I'd go with a D90 or some such to travel. Especially if it's not a pure "photo" trip (i.e., the family is along).</p>

<p>Funny, I have the opposite problem. I can only really afford something like a D90, but crave the bigness of the big boys I can't afford. I'll probably get a grip at some point.</p>

<p>I look forward to the day when I can get D3x quality from a camera the size of my little P6000. I know that day is coming, because the P6000 can take pictures the quality of the D1x right now. It's only a matter of time. Hopefully we haven't reached the top of the curve yet...</p>

<p>If you are set on going after only 3 weeks of recoup then go as light as possible. Be easy on yourself when healing otherwise you may get more than you bargain for with another health problem. I have lighten up my load when hiking and it really makes a difference. The only thing I did not lighten was the D700 as it is the only body I have. Now I am wondering if a Mamiya 6 with a 50mm would be enough when hiking, probably a bad idea.</p>

<p> It sounds like your health is the real issue. Listen to your Doctor for one thing. A total hip replacement is not a small thing and it takes physical therapy to get you going again. I believe you have serious precautions from a total hip replacement for about 8 weeks. So what I suggest is put your trip off. </p>

<p>My advice for what to bring on a trip only 3 weeks after a total hip replacement... a golf cart. You might think I'm kidding, and I am... kind of. I've done several rotations at orthopedic clinics as a part of my x-ray training and have seen numerous patients come in for their one month checkups after a total hip. Some of them can get around o.k., some can barely walk. All of them say that they can't walk any great distances without considerable pain. Maybe you'll be one to heal quickly, maybe not. I would definitely discuss this with your surgeon and get his take on it. Whatever you decide to do after your surgery, follow your rehab schedule. The physical therapists generally know what they are talking about and can get you up and moving around in pretty short order.</p>

<p>As for what photographic equipment to bring should you decide to make the trip, zooms would be my choice because they would require less "foot zooming." If you are not planning to do a lot of low-light shots, maybe a couple of the smaller, variable aperture models rather than the big, heavy 2.8 jobs would be a good idea.</p>

<p>It seems to me your biggest problems will be getting in and out of your vehicle and walking. I don't think you will be going very far at all, so it does not matter how much your camera weighs. Take the D3X and a couple of zooms. Why let it sit gathering dust? Maybe get a monopod to help bear the weight and use it as a walking stick. As others have mentioned have a discussion with your doctor. </p>

<p>I used to work in rehab as an occupational therapist and am familiar with hip and knee replacements. You would be better off waiting until late August to see how you're doing. No sense in risking screwing it up. I also think you'll be a lot more comfortable.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>Take the D90. it's an excellent camera and as you already know will give you great pictures. As far as lenses, I'd take a wide angle (35mm) or if you have it a zoom in the 10-24mm range. You'll also want something in the 55-200 or 70-300mm range for compressed image shots of the rolling hills. I lived in Spokane, WA for over 20 years and am familiar with the Palouse area. The 70-300 would also come in handy for wildlife photos and there are all types of wildlife in the area. There are a number of game preserves around the Spokane area if you like wildlife photography.</p>

<p>I have bad back problems and the D90 is a godsend when it's giving me problems. I always get great pictures if I do my part! Enjoy the trip, the Palouse should be great this time of the year and not too hot yet.</p>

<p>Again - take the D90, 16-85, 10-24 and 70-300 VR. Add a macro if you shoot much of that. On my last trip to Hawaii I took only the D90 with 16-85 and 60/2.8 Micro, almost never felt I was missing anything. Traveling light is one reason I prefer DX (also love 1.5x factor for my obsessive macro habit). Never hesitate taking a trip when you can get away, good luck and have fun.</p>

<p>Harvey, when life hands you lemons, look for a way to make lemonade. How about doing portraits? When gout for months gave me considerable pain walking, got into the studio and now that Im fine, its hard to get me out, unless its a location near enough to the truck to roll my light gear. How about macro, products at home? You dont have time for the dirt nap just yet, you already have too much to shoot and too little time. Hang in there. Getting older sucks, but it beats the alternative. Sounds like we carry the same sink. Nadine on the wedding site turned me onto a 3 step ladder, great to get higher pov, that has wheels and is a hand truck for rolling that 30 lb bag, or in my case, 120 lbs of sand bags, 18 lb battery pack, 4 studio lights. I also use a rolling hardshell golf case to roll light stands, modifiers etc , but it could be used for other things as well. </p>

<p>Harvey, I understand your situation. As a doctor I would strongly advise against your risking your recovery/health by going through your planned trip. No matter if it's the "light" D90 or the heavier FF camera, the stress placed on your prosthesis and the surrounding tissues will complicate your recovery. Even as a healthy individual, I have had to struggle bringing along the D3s, SB600, normal zoom/wideangle zoom, let alone someone recovering from hip replacement.</p>