Canon 5D Mark II - any rebate soon?

gunjankv

<p>Hi<br>

Wondering would it be any rebate from Canon on 5D M II anytime in next 3-4 months?<br>

Or may be any new FF model come out to match with 7D, which would in turn make 5DM2 prices lower?<br>

I am planning to move from XTi to something.. not sure would it be 7D or 5DM2. I mostly would go for 5DM2</p>

<p>I talked to quite a few folks I bumped into on the street who had both 7d and 5dmk2 and uniformly they all recommended the 5d over the 7d.</p>

<p>Couple of cavets: The sample is small (3 or 4). Most of them were wedding photographers or doing portraits of couples around town (but not weddings). (For background; I live in Boston and it is not unusual to see semi-pro photographers in areas like Beacon Hill; public gardens; and similar artistic locations<br>

Conversely most action photographers seem to prefer the 7d (bird in flight and sports).<br>

-</p>

<p>As others mentioned there is currently a rebate till July 10. Kind of sucky amount (4%). But if you use Bing (which goes till July 30) you can get a bit more.</p>

<p>I own both the 5D MkII and the 7D. I'd recommend the 7D for sports and wildlife and the 5D2 for everything else, particularly scenics, travel, portraits and things using shorter lenses and not requiring handling speed.</p>

<p>Adorama has a refurbished 5d2 for $100 less than the current lower new price. AllensCamera in PA sells it for $2300 new I believe.<br>

If you want to wait it out and see, sooner or later there will be something. But first that $100 rebate will disappear in about 12 days, and then next time....... could be just $100 off again. In September, late September.<br>

7d and 5d2 are quite different. Hope you make a right choice. I would visit a rental place and do a hands on test, maybe bring a memory card of your own, try it in both of the cameras [i think 7D takes CF compact flash too right?]..... and then maybe try it again in a store that has it on display, try same lens and how it acts differently on the different bodies.<br>

Some people prefer 7d for its longer "reach", or 5d2 for it's full-frame and wideangle abilities.</p>