Anyone Recommend Capture NX?

michael_krouskop

<p>Michael, I have NX2 installed on my iMac and it runs fine. I would have to assume that something went wrong with your install, as can happen to any install. I would not count NX2 out, just because you have a bad install. I would try re-install and see if it will work for you. If it doesn't, then, uninstall and then re-install. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Seems like a positive consensus for NX..and I will add my vote.</p>

<p>To the many who feel NX is slow, this is simply not true.<br>

One needs to allocate system resources to NX via "tweaking" the system; not NX.<br>

NX still has a architecture problem as already mentioned as it refuses to (release) memory, forcing the user to re-boot the software after a few hours of hard use. 15 seconds and you're good to go.</p>

<p>Something no one has mentioned, or perhaps I simply missed it, is <strong>META-DATA </strong>ingestion & application.</p>

<p>NX is still woefully weak in this area; specifically;</p>

<p>1) S-L-O-W-W-W in batch writing user defined meta-data.<br>

2) Problem gets worse with many images.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I worry about speed when editing. Most of my shoots (weddings) have roughly 2500 images.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>NX will probably crash if you (apply) (IPTC) meta-data to 2,500 images.</p>

<p>I'd suggest another program for Meta-Data ingestion unless captioning & meta-data input are not important in your workflow. I can't do without it. I use PhotoMechanic, although there are a few others.</p>

<p>Other than that, I am in 100% agreement with a previous poster, I use NX for more than 90% of<br>

image adjustments. Although I have CS4, I rarely use it anymore as IMO it is like using a sledge hammer to kill a fly.</p>

<p>Wait, went back and read OP's second post. The OP already uses Lightroom. That kills the discussion right there - there is no compelling reason to use NX2 if you're already in Lightroom, and NX2 can't export a DNG file as the OP was asking about, only a TIFF or JPG.</p>

<p>As they say, 'horses for courses'.<br>

I use NX2 all the time on my NEFs and recognise that it's strictly a photo 'manipulator' and does that very well, but doesn't have some of the general abilities found in other software such as PSP (e.g. adding text etc).<br>

I just tried out the trial version of CS5 and found it TERRIBLE ! However I know that's only because it has a completely different workflow to NX2, and I can't be bothered with the relearning curve..<br>

Check again to make sure you use the right version of NX2 for your PC - I run Windows 7 64 bit.. and that certainly wasn't available 2 years ago so maybe you do have version problems.</p>

<p>I use the Nikon Suite (VNX, TFX and CNX2) every since it was released.<br />Capture NX is the best RAW converter for any NEF file. Although it has its quirks, sometimes slow or looping, the results are remarkable.<br />Basic and some advanced editing can be performed with it and since the functions are straight forward, it is a pleasant experience to use it.<br />For more advanced or very advanced editing and manipulations I resort to CS4 (CS5).</p>

<p>I've used NX2 daily for about 18 months on an XPpro 32 bit PC in combination with ViewNX. I also use PS for final pp (ie functions that aren't available in NX2 such as cloning). The quality of the results from NX2 are excellent. The interface is simply abominable - there are so many stupidly counter-intuitive attributes that I won't even attempt to list them. The interface is like nothing else - in a Bad Way - although it has some excellent features. The program is also horribly buggy, disgracefully buggy - in a class of its own. Some of the bugs are hilarious; try checking to see if there's an update for the application from within the program. There never is. However if you check the website at the same time, there sometimes is. How hard is it to get this right? <br /> I got my copy "free" with a D700. I tolerate the awfulness of the program's design because I haven't found anything better for processing NEFs. But the authors of the program should be ashamed of releasing something this bad. I always hope that the occasional update will improve the bugs at least, but it never does.</p>