how to make it better?

ray_rg

<p>Hello Pnetters,</p>

<p>I was trying to take pictures of a "wrist watch" as a product photography using Nikon D90, Tamron 90mm and third party on-camera TTL flash. I was using black foam on the bottom and reflective plexi glas to get some reflection of the watch. On side I had white foam and one more black foam as back-ground. Flash was pointing it backwards so just kind of fill flash and the room was as dark as possible. But still I was getting some reflection of reflection... can someone please help me to avoid reflection of reflection?</p>

<p>Exposure Time = 1/60"<br />F Number = F10<br />Exposure Program = Aperture priority<br />ISO Speed Ratings = 400<br>

I am attaching picture for better understanding.</p>

<p>Looking forward for the help.</p>

<p>Ray</p><div>00WkWE-254679684.jpg.0c7282d75d21bf7ea4f2fb721a09a31b.jpg</div>

<p>Your double reflection is because you used clear plex. You have a first surface reflection from the top and a 2nd reflection from the bottom. Next time to avoid the double reflection issue, use solid black plex.</p>

<p>You won't get good results using on-camera flash for stuff like this. You need off camera lighting, even incandescent, so you can control the angles at which the light hits the object, and consequently, the reflections you see in the watch surfaces.</p>

<p>You need to avoid "uncontrolled" reflections such as the brown stripes, which seem to be reflections of your table or desk. Search here on jewelry and watch photography to see the advice Matt Laur and I have given others about how to shoot these difficult subjects.</p>

<p>Buy, read, and practice the setups in "Light - Science & Magic" to learn how light works and how to control reflection and shadow.</p>

<p>Oh, you can see some objects shot on black plex in my Still Life folder here. http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=805757</p>

<p><Chas></p>

<p>BG,<br>

In spite of Photoshop, I still see a double reflection. The bigger problem for me is that the light is clearly coming from above--the top of the watch has a bright reflection, and the upper right quadrant of the face (from 4-6 o'clock) is underexposed because of it. Also, the watch shouldn't be lying on its side. I feel like I need to turn my head to get a good look at it.<br>

Scott</p>

<p>@ Charles: Thank You! for detailed reply. After taking few pictures, I realized clutter on the watch (brown stripe) but then my main concern was double reflection so tried to fix that. To avoid double reflection (I thought I can avoid it) I used the black foam sheet as a base and then clear plexi glass was placed on it.</p>

<p>btw, the picture posted is out of the camera (resized for posting).</p>

<p>Does any one know from where to buy black plexi glass? Would prefer something from the local store.</p>

<p>Thanks again for all the responses.</p>

<p>I am in north east (new england area) of USA... I have tried Home Depot, Walmart, Target, Lowes... no luck. Would like buy something local (after checking that sheet) but if I can same from reputed place and cheaper (around $30-$50) that would be nice.</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Ray</p>

<p>Ray,<br /> The 2 common positions for the hands on a watch are 10:12 and/or 3:37. Either makes a pleasing composition and usually does not hide any logos, etc.<br /> Also, the camera angle is a bit high as you can see the OOF back of the band.<br /> Keep working...</p>

<p>Thanks Terry for the valuable comment. I guess each and every "small" details has it's importance while taking the picture. btw, I think I have found a black-cloth which I can use it and keep the clear plexi glass on top of it. I am planning to try again in couple of days and see how it turns out.</p>

<p>Again, Thanks everyone for the response.<br>

Ray</p>

<p>Ray, you're still going to get double reflections using clear plex, regardless of what you put under it.<br>

If you can't find plex, look for polished black granite, anodized black aluminum, etc. But to eliminate the double reflection, it has to be an opaque material.</p>

<p><Chas></p>