Where to go from here 5d - 7d?

sm-anderson

<p>I need your help, I jumped back into photography about 18 months ago buying a Canon XSi (450d) and a couple of len ses and a good printer. Now I’m getting ready to make the jump to a more serious system. I shoot mostly landscapes and wildlife with the occasional wedding or portrait for family & friends to cheap or poor to get a pro.<br>

My background, prior to wife, kids and trying to survive in the real world, (35 years ago) I worked as a photographer for a small news paper and did the occasional wedding or portrait on the side. I shot the same old Pentax from those days until I bought the XSi. Now the kids are gone and retirement is getting pretty close and I’m looking to get back to my old love of photography and hoping to maybe make a little money to supplement my retirement. I’m planning to put some art out on the web (probably SmugMug) and participate in some art festivals & fairs.</p>

<p>My current budget is around $3000.00 and I’m trying to decide on a new camera or possibly just new glass. After a little use I’ve concluded that both of the EF-S lenses are inadequat e. My only real concern so far with the body is high noise at ISO above 200 and that Sigma 500 and wildlife requires me to crank up the ISO quite often. For now the XSi would become my backup and at some point in the future I’ll get which ever body I don’t have to give me a high quality crop & full frame pair. I’m looking at but not set on:</p>

<ul>

<li>Canon EOS-5D Mark II Digital SLR Camera Body Kit with EF 24-105L Image Stabilized Lens - $3200.00 </li>

<li>Canon EOS-7D Digital SLR Camera Body, 18.0 Megapixels - with Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM AutoFoc us Wide Angle Telephoto Zoom Lens, bo th refurbished - $2500.00 </li>

</ul>

<p>(These are Adorama’s prices)<br>

The question is cropped frame which really takes advantage of the 500 Sigma for wild life or full frame and the resulting higher quality pixels and ISO range. The other option is not to get a new body and spend it all on glass and that starts a whole new discussion.<br>

Current equipment:</p>

<ul>

<li>Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi (450d) SLR Camera </li>

<li>Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (Kit Lens) </li>

<li>Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens </li>

<li>Sigma 50-500 F4/6.3 EX Hsm Telephoto Zoom Lens </li>

<li>Canon Speedlite 430EX </li>

<li>Tripod </li>

<li>Epson 3800 </li>

</ul>

<p>Your input would be appreciated!</p>

<p >Thanks,</p>

<p>Scott</p>

<p>I think either would be fine. I personally have an early xxD (20D) a Rebel (XTi) and a 5Dmk1. Much as I love the 24-105mm lens, I'd recommend considering the EF-S 15-85mm IS lens if you go the APS-C route. I have the older EF-S 17-85mm IS which I still use on my old 20D and Rebel.</p>

<p>The advantage of a 7D of course, would be that your existing EF-S lenses would serve while you are gradually upgrading your lenses. Both are quite decent, and not just for the money. They also are light weight and make a handy easy to handle package with the relatively large 7D. Your Sigma would work on either APS-C or 35mm sensor size, I think.<br /> I think after some adjustment, you'll find the control system on either of these cameras to be superior to that on the Rebel cameras (not the least of which is more dials, more displays).<br /> I think the idea Canon had in giving the 7D that designation was that is was sort of an APS-C 5D, and the cameras offer similar functionality. If you have a lot of pre-digital legacy lenses the 5D makes sense (e.g., my PC-Nikkor 35mm shift lens with an adapter), but otherwise I think it's pretty much a wash. Lots of telephoto shooting? That 1.6X factor is nice. Architectural shooting? More choice in TS-E for the 35mm sensor. And so on.</p>

<p>Canon T2i, Tamron 17-50mm (non VC lighter, cheaper and maybe sharper than the VC version), Canon 85mm, Metz 58 AF-1 flash. This gives you 2 bodies that have the same interface, a fast zoom in the range most used for wedding and event photography and an excellent flash that some believe is better than the Canon 580EX II plus a good, fast portrait length lens. About $2100 or so. The T2i has image quality equivalent to the 7D. If/when you are making money with this outfit you may be able to prioritize a 5D II with the 24-105mm or 24-70mm workhorse zoom. Good luck with retirement or doing different things.</p>

<p>I moved up to the 5D Mark II about a year ago and I have no complaints. The full-frame models definitely have less noise and better high-ISO performance. The 5D2 is usable up to ISO 3200 for many purposes, though for landscapes I prefer to keep the ISO as low as possible.</p>

<p>The 7D would certainly be an improvement over the XSi, and for wildlife possibly preferable to the 5D2 (because of its newer AF system and the 1.6x crop factor), but for landscapes the 5D2 is the clear winner.</p>

<p>As to the option of keeping the XSi and just buying new lenses, yes, that is definitely something to consider. Any lens that you can put on the 5D2 or 7D you can also use on the XSi. You will notice a huge improvement in basic image quality switching from your inexpensive EF-S lenses to a high-quality zoom such as the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM. If you buy full-frame lenses and later decide to upgrade to a full-frame body such as the 5D2, you won't have to replace the lenses as well.</p>

<p>It looks like you have all the equipment you need already for what you've described. Remember it's not the equipment, but the photographer. Save that 3000 bucks to use for traveling. If you really feel you need some higher-end equipment, then a 5D Mark I which would allow you to squeeze in a couple of fast 'L' series zoom lenses which might fit into your budget , but I think you are doing OK with the equipment you have. </p>

<p>If wildlife is one of your major interests, then go with the 7D for its 1.6 crop sensor, 8-fps burst rate and superior AF system. For everything else that you list, the 5D2 is better, but only slightly. I own both.</p>

<p>With the money you save on the body, replace your 55-250 with the EF 70-200mm f/4L IS. This stunning lens will show what L-series is all about.</p>

<p>I'd recommend 7D + 17-55mm f/2.8 + 70-200 f/4 IS + 1.4 converter for extra reach (if you need it that long). You could replace 17-55 with 16-35 f/2.8 II + a 50mm prime just because 17-55 is what i call a "vacuum cleaner" and it will suck up all the dust in the 10 mile radius LOL. That should cover you for most situations. I'd also recommend checking out eBay. I just saw brand new 7D from 100% positive feedback seller for $1519 plus you can still get Bing 8% cash back so you will end up paying only $1397 for the body. It's slightly more than your budget but you will not be disappointed.</p>

<p>Great information everybody, Thanks!<br>

I have considered several combo options, it's nice to hear your ideas.<br>

Harry, at present work keeps me pretty close to home so I tend to take long weekends instead of real vacations, but that's OK because I'm in Wyoming and that still puts alot of amazing photography in easy reach. So the plan is to get the right equipment, work flow, etc and learn it inside out so when I can actually retire (+/- 3 years) I'm ready.</p>

<p>I have both and this is a tough choice. I shoot sports and wildlife with the 7D (or a 1DIIN) and most other things with the 5DII. In terms of lenses the 24-105 will work well on the 5DII (I personally use the 24-70) but I am not so sure about the 7D. I find that the the lenses I use most on the 7D (excluding big teles) are the 16-35 F2.8 II and the 70-200 F2.8 or 70-200 f4 IS. If you go with the 7D you may want to consider the 17-40 f4 (the 16-35 is very expensive) or the EF-S 17-55 F2.8 which gets good reviews (I have never used this lens). You may want to look at your photos and see what focal lengths you use on your rebel as these will probably be the lengths you use on a 7D. You may also want to consider a wider option for the 7D (e.g 10-22 or similar) if you shoot a lot of landscapes. Wide angle and low ISO are the 5D advantages. I also find the image quality slightly higher but at 100-400 ISO there is little to choose betwen them. Based on my experience I think you will be unhappy with your current EF-S lenses on the 7D as it is fairly tough on lens quality.</p>

<p>Well the 7D is better for Macros also, it has the advantage on focus(moving people) noise 5DII, wide groups 5DII, for about $700 savings get the 7D and spend the rest on glass, the Tamron 17-50 is a very good lens, the 24-70L actually is an excellent lens on the 7D. You would need something wider than you have now, especially tight places.</p>

<p>Manuel I have no issue with the 24-70 on my 7D in terms of quality - I just find that i do not use it very often and that I find my 16-35 much more useful on APS-C. For Macro while the 7D has the DOF advantage and AF works well I actually prefer my 5DII with the 100 f2.8 LIS on a tripod and focusing rail.</p>

<p>I'm with David Stephens: 7D + 70-200 F4 IS will make you happy. However, I'd also make sure you have the right workflow software (Lightroom/Aperture or PS CS5) and a good tripod with head (another 600 bucks at least). Jealous of the time you are going to have. Enjoy.</p>

<p>Keep it simple and affordable. Pickup a 2nd hand Canon 5d Mark 1 for around 1200.00 or refurbished for 1500.00. Then checkout KEH.com see if they have a 100-400 f4.5-5.5 F4l lens around 1000.00 then a 1.4 telaconvertor for 200.00. Also you can get 2nd hand a canon 70-200f4l for around 500.00. That will get you in the prce range and a full frame Sensor camera + 2 good L lenses in the process. The teleconvertor will give you even more range with the 400 mm range.</p>

<p >I got to fondle both the 7D & 5DII this weekend – WOW I’m going for the 7D, 17-55mm f/2.8 & 50mm f/1.4. I forgot how nice a prime is to work with until I played with it this week end. I’ll add the 70-200 f/4 IS and a ultra wide when photo budget allows or I find the right deal. The 5D and a better long lens will come when I start making a little money! Thanks everybody for all your comments, your insight helped me see options I hadn't thought of!</p>

<p>(the most important thing I have to say is the last block of text)</p>

<p>I was trying to make this decision myself recently, and decided on the 5dii, here's the kicker, I totally think you are making the best choice (based off of what you said) in picking the 7d. You seem to want to shoot all types of shots. <br>

That being said, your choice of lenses seem to imply you will be doing more landscape and full bodied portrait work.<br>

If you want to do wildlife, maybe stick to one lens in the lower range and get that 70-200 f/4 IS. There is a used one posted up on Fred Miranda Each day (not because they are bad, but people on that site have an issue with keeping their gear for more than a day!)<br>

Don't get the 50mm f1/.4 You are already covering that focal range with the 17-55, and you'll get good bokeh with the zoom still.</p>