Nikon Wednesday Pic 2010: #25

Matt Laur

<blockquote>

<p><strong><em>Important:</em></strong> please keep your image under 700 pixels wide for in-line viewing, and <strong><em>please keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb</em></strong>. Note that <strong>this includes photos hosted off-site</strong> (at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc).<br /><br />Are you <strong>new to this thread?</strong> The <strong>general guidelines</strong> for these Wednesday threads <strong><a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00W7km">are right here</a></strong>. Remember: only one image each week!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>A good Wednesday to you all, Nikonistas. I am writing this note under duress, and am being forced to take cat photographs in order to regain my freedom. I have been well fed and reasonably well treated, but fear for my sanity. Only the knowledge that dozens of other Nikon shooters are out there, choosing their <em>own</em> subject matter, can give me hope. Please share a non-cat image, and give me something to cling to until next week.<br /><br />Note: I jest. Cats are great. A good friend just adopted a young male kitten, and asked if I would attempt a couple of portraits while the critter is still young and cute (for a cat). What the heck, I thought, I'll do it ... and I'm even thick-skinned enough to post it here on the single most important weekly photography thread in the known universe. Please share anything you've been up to with your Nikon gear - even if it <em>does</em> involve a cat.</p><div>00Wj5v-253755684.jpg.1794599cbef3ae67637cc54d2cd8e562.jpg</div>

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<p>Not even close to Wednesday yet where I live - but nonetheless. Forgot to post last week. Got lucky this week finding a family of Great Horned Owls in a Eucalyptus grove close to where I live. Not at all easy to spot, mostly hiding in the underbrush or other dark places. Caught two owlets out in the open for a few seconds.</p><div>00Wj5y-253755784.jpg.c4605a9e117a740ff93c08af2b759b42.jpg</div>

<p>Happy Wednesday everyone. It's actually still Tuesday here. I'm not usually up late enough to get on the thread this early.</p>

<p>I haven't captured much lately worth posting, so I'll upload one from a recent attempt at night shooting. This was actually a shot that I happened across by accident while moving from one position to another. I happened to look up and thought that this might make a decent picture. So I plopped the tripod down and fired away. I didn't even change any of the settings from the previous shot. Not too bad, I would say, for something completely unplanned. The only editing I did was to clone out a couple of ghosts from the lamps. Although, if I had it all to do over again, I think I'd move my truck out of the background.</p>

<p>Hope everyone has a great day.</p><div>00Wj6C-253757884.jpg.0a0538c2e6c4c3c0df1f00b8b56dfae1.jpg</div>

<p>Up early today. Last week I had the pleasure of going on a trip to the Saltee Islands, off the coast of Co. Wexford, Ireland. There is a magnificent Gannet colony there - a bird watchers and photographers paradise. (Swooping behind the Gannet in this picture is a Razorbill). </p><div>00Wj6G-253759684.jpg.2a2b06351e813666da973d1fa202164c.jpg</div>

<p>Good evening from Seattle. First, thank you to Wayne, Arthur, Jose, Kris, Doug, Martin and Paul for you generous comments and contributions. This thread is always inspirational.</p>

<p>Matt...Yes, cat shots are as common as I don't know...bird shots? But, you know, that is one heckuva fine kitty cat shot. Both you and his pet human should be delighted.</p>

<p>Dieter...Your owls are beautiful. What good fortune to see them in the wild. I hear that it is a good omen.</p>

<p>My contribution is from the annual Fremont Solstice Parade in Seattle. I am in the midst of going through hundreds of photos. I am putting together a folder in my PN portfolio. Please stop by for more glimpses of one of the coolest summer celebrations in the world. In addition to an unprecedented number of naked bicyclists, the show stopper for me was the Yellow Submarine float. This is one of the apple bonkers (I actually got bonked 3 times...I even have a small wound on my nose as a reward trying to get "the shot")</p><div>00Wj6H-253759584.jpg.a5ca7af0e0f5b84002ec571d761b6e66.jpg</div>

<p>Greetings to all, great photos! My today's contribution is a photo of wildlife -- or, at least, what passes for wildlife in my photography: a Roosevelt elk, grazing in a ditch off a dirt road in the Prairie Creek Redwood State Park, CA. I leave my minivan between him and myself (just in case, it's wildlife, after all), get my Nikon D 90 with the often maligned 18-200 mm lens (no time to get the 17-200 mm instead), and take several shots before the elk gets tired of this and wanders off. </p><div>00Wj6Q-253761584.jpg.ca74ae57e72d661eda0d8e979157fce6.jpg</div>

<p>Here is my Eleanor, my Bean. She is 8 and great. I am going to do some 'momma bragging' now~ Bean just received 2 awards from her school~ the Academic Achievement Award and the Mathematics Achievement Award. We are very proud of her~ she is smart, sensitive, athletic, sweet, eager and humble, the total kid package. Momma loves you, Bean :o)</p><div>00Wj6n-253767584.jpg.0bdce56e96944d18ec706cf03e55270e.jpg</div>

<p ><strong >WedNEsDAy PiC #25</strong></p>

<p ><strong > </strong></p>

<p >Another Sherrin about to go into orbit … I hope everyone enjoyed a great weekend … these Wednesdays seem to come around quicker than I can blink! … And as usual a variety of great shots – thanks to all.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Dieter ... great owls ... hard just to get one! ... but two ... go buy yourself a lottery ticket!</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Camera: Nikon D300</p>

<p >Lens: AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-200 mm f/2.8G IF-ED<br>

Settings: 200 mm, 1/400 sec, f/2.8 and ISO 800 (AP, hand held, spot metering)</p><div>00Wj78-253771684.thumb.jpg.73bf0f0c4508e62ab008eb96dea2ae9d.jpg</div>

<p>Happy Wednesday all.<br>

A walk in the old city of Elsinore,DK, This one is the oldest half-timbered house in the city, from 1677, Still in use! Not extremely interesting I know, but it was the first time this year the temperature exceeded 20 degrees C. so the white house and the blue skies also shows summer.<br>

Great owls Dieter. Jennifer, nice catch from a proud mother.</p><div>00Wj7V-253777584.jpg.ec38e2a9fe441fdf961b3e8ea9ecf3ec.jpg</div>

<p>Hi,<br>

in early today as am looking for an early escape and head home to watch the World Cup (come on England!). Here are a couple of our finest from an earlier day - the East Essex regiment (44th Foot), a re-enactment society of the Napoleonic Wars, captured recently at Grantchester. D700, 24-70. CS3.</p><div>00Wj7y-253783684.jpg.d0a39ca80bdd6fe56ff7bb8757a4f0fc.jpg</div>