So, how about those Circles?

ricardojmendez

So, here's my offer.

I can set up a site that will allow people to log in and have different forums, which we can use for the circles. People would then post URLs to their Photo.net critique requests there, and others on the circle would follow them and comment. I think I can even enable e-mail alerts for people on the circle for when there is a new post, though I'm not sure.

After a while, we just shuffle circle membership.

This will of course require some work, and as Marc points out the best approach would be to keep EVERYTHING inside Photo.net. I had offered as a volunteer back in October (I think it was either late September or early October) but never got a response. The offer still stands: even if I now have less spare time to spend developing, I can always manage a circle; and I'm sure any of those who keep posting here would also jump at the opportunity to hhelp there.

What I mean, in a roundabout way, is that if Photo.net is going to implement the circles as something more dynamic and user-administrated, great. If not, I'd love it if somebody from Photo.net posted on this thread so that I knew where we stand.

Cheers,

Ricardo, while that's a very generous offer, I don't see the purpose of hosting the forums off-site. The only benefit may be that the discussion thread is limited to the members of the circle, but since the photos are still on photonet where anyone could comment it may be a bit distracting having to go back & forth to follow a discussion. If members need to discuss something privately they can always email each other.

I'm of the mind that the tools to hold the circle already exist completely on this site, either through a hot links interface, or a link in an existing circles page as Carl has suggested.

If we want the staff to consider ressurecting the circles then I think our efforts to implement & maintain one need to be visible completely on site.

That's my thinking....