Which camera to go?

robert_thommes1

<p>I know that some of you do NOT like these questions; commenting that the only person qualified to answer them is me(the asker). But I'm really stumped. I currently have a Canon A650IS, Canon SX20 IS, and Canon XS DSLR with 18-55IS, 50 1.8, 28-135IS and 70-300IS USM lenses. I've been toying with the idea of selling off the SX20. It's a mighty convenient camera, tavels light, good long range, and reasonable IQ. But it can't do anything that the DSLR can't do(well, video which I hardly ever use); while the DSLR can do a few things that the SX20 can not. The A650 would is a good take anywhere camera; especially where more gear(DSLR) is not appropriate.<br>

So...would most agree to part with the SX20, then? OR...might you see that keeping all 3, but reducing a couple lenses might be best?<br>

Please, no snide comments. I'd rather you didn't answer. I need to work this out so as not to make a mistake, AND to quit anguishing over this. Thank you.</p>

<p>Recently realized eBay prices for the SX20 run about US$250 to $350. The Canon A650 IS has gone for from $50 to $300. However, even the 650 is a fair amount of camera to pocket, although it has the advantage that it will cost you nothing more to keep it. If you were starting from scratch, I'd suggest a thinner smaller camera that would cause no bulge (Are you happy to see me or is that a 650 in your pocket?).</p>

<p>The XS is already a fairly compact camera for a dSLR. So there's no doubt that you are over-covered here in the ordinary day-to-day shooting range. The XS and its kit lens or the 50mm is a dandy small shooter. Throw the other lenses in a bag, maybe with the exception of the 28-135, and you've got a nice over all package. Maybe sell both of the all-in-one cameras and get something like a nice used XTi for one of the other lenses.</p>

<p>But it <em><strong>is</strong></em> pretty hard to give any other answer than "the only person qualified to answer ... is you". You've already got the cameras and know what you like or dislike about them.</p>

<p>I have a somewhat similar outfit that you have, with an XSi and 7 lenses, an SX10 IS, and a small pocket Pentax Optio Z10. I do use them all, but the SX10 IS (predecessor to your SX20 IS) gets used the most. I carry it along with me (in the car) most of the time in a small bag, and can do almost as much as I want to with this camera. With my Canon 430EX flash on the SX10, I shoot photos of our 1 year old grandson all the time, its long range zoom is more convenient than having to change lenses on the DSLR. And it's silent shutter is a benefit most times.</p>

<p>The XSi DSLR is used for more "serious" photography, while the small Pentax goes with me when I cannot carry either of the larger ones. It has an internal 7X optical zoom, so is useful.</p>

<p>The only way I'd sell either of them would be to upgrade to another model.</p>

<p>To further explain another option...... 3 of 4 of my DSLR lenses actually do have specific purposes to me; which makes deciding on which to take, an easy decision. 18-55IS for wide angle usage, 50 1.8 light in weight, smallish, and lower light, 70-300IS for my field nature/wildlife, grandkids sporting events, and DOF allowing for blurring of cage bars and fences at zoos and the like. The 28-135IS could be expendable if I were to label the SX20IS as my walkaround(in daylight) lens. The SX offers good macro, too. The A650(though a bit too large) would still act as my pocket camera, or for events where anything larger in size would be inappropriate. In this case, nothing would go except the 28-135IS lens...maybe. (I'm kind of just thinking out loud here.)</p>

<p>I wouldn't unload any lenses. It is nice to have a smaller compact camera for light travel or family outings. Sell whichever P&S you use least or are least comfortable using and use the $$$ to invest in the DSLR system. Maybe get a good external flash or a nice tripod or another lens; either of these things will open up more possibilities. I will say that I never realized how important a good tripod was until I got one. It definitely saved me money on Ibuprofen from the headaches the Wal-Mart tripods cause.</p>

<p>[[AND to quit anguishing over this.]]</p>

<p>Coming from someone who doesn't even know why he purchased the SX20 IS in the first place? I highly doubt that. You've had the SX20 for, what, a month? </p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00WXx1</p>

<p>[[i want to eliminate having to make decisions as to which camera to grab for.]]</p>

<p>Your obsession over making the "perfect" decision is bizarre at best. Photography is always, always, a series of compromises and trade-offs.</p>

<p>Your question was already answered when you asked it the first time.</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/casual-conversations-forum/00Wal9</p>

<p> Rob B.,<br>

You seem to be one of the more frequent responders here. Yet somewhat of a photo.net policeman, too. If you'll do your research and review my somewhat (similar) recent post, you'll have to admit that there were not many real answers to my question then. Hence, this reask. Bob B. seems to make the most sense to me at the moment, though. By the way, I've had the SX20IS for several months now. I would like nothing more than to use my Sx20 a lot more. Unfortunately, it's shortcomings limit that desire. To me, less equipment would be better. I can see that I'm pretty much alone on that score, though. <br>

To answer another concern, I probably shoot about once per week. </p>

<p>I completely understand wanting to have a DSLR with a lens collection tailored to one's needs. I have a 7D, three IS zooms (17-55/2.8, 24-105/4L, 70-200/2.8L), 50/1.4, 420EX flash, and a collection of camera bags (every time I get a new piece of gear, it seems I outgrow my previous bags) and camera supports (monopod, tripod, Gorillapod, and tiny little travel tripod), and you can't beat the quality and flexibility of such a kit.</p>

<p>Given the size and weight of even a small subset of that kit (e.g. the body, flash, and two smallest zooms in my third-smallest bag, which is my "small" travel kit), I also completely understand wanting something more compact. I've thought a number of times about adding a small P&S so that I can have a camera with me without having to drag even the "small" kit around. (I eventually settled on just using the crappy camera in my BlackBerry, since I have it with me anyway.)</p>

<p>I'm not familiar with your two non-SLR cameras, so I have no idea what their strengths and weaknesses are. Let me suggest a test which may enable you to do what you think is a cop-out (i.e. telling you that only you know what you need and use): set aside the one that you're thinking of selling, and promise yourself that you won't use it for some reasonable period of time. During that time, use only the other one or the DSLR, as appropriate for each shooting situation you're in. At the end of the time, ask yourself if living without that camera is a problem. If it is, then you should keep it. If it isn't, then ditch it and use the proceeds for something that will be more useful to you (whether that's flowers for the wife, steaks and beer for you, or a present for your camera kit).</p>

<p>Hope that helps!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>At the end of the time, ask yourself if living without that camera is a problem. If it is, then you should keep it. If it isn't, then ditch it and use the proceeds for something that will be more useful to you (whether that's flowers for the wife, steaks and beer for you, or a present for your camera kit).</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Very good advice.</p>

<p>Happy shooting,<br>

Yakim.</p>

<p>Well, you could always get rid of the sx20 IS, all three lenses, and buy an Tamron 18-270 VC for the XS. I have one that (despite the 'full stable' of primes and 2.8 zooms) I consistently throw on the old XTi or 50d when I'm going to the zoo, or a family outing or something where I need to be able to hold a kid & take a wide range of pictures (aka flexible & light). I paid ~$325 for it... it was a great deal on a optically...compromising... (but VERY functional) lens</p>

<p>like somebody else said, photography is a compromise, and a 70-200/2.8 IS is useless if you're taking a group shot on your XS...</p>