Move over 580 EX II ?

hjoseph7

<p>Hey Faysal, I wouldn't worry so much. I have owned a 580 EX II since introduction and have had nothing but great results. No shut downs, a good consistency between shots, and good ETTL metering. My only complaint is I can't manually shoot a pic every 1/5th second. Only 1/30th.</p>

<p>I'm still experimenting with it like crazy, I have like 3 sets of rechargeable batteries for all the fun I'm having. Honestly, I paid $430 for mine, and I still think it was a great bargain. I'm amazed by its ability to throw light so well honestly. I would, however, like to hear from someone who has experience with that nissin flash Harry posted. I could always use two flashes with on in slave mode. I guess if its worth trying out, when I get back stateside I might consider playing around with it in a store. I'm really not familiar with this brand, would this be something easily found at an average size photo store?</p>

<p>I obtained a Di866 to examine for my book on flash. It's an interesting product, and has some unusual and cleverly implemented features, but it's not as complete as the 580EX or 580EX II in my opinion. Feature-wise it's kind of like a smaller 550EX, with slightly higher power output.<br>

It has some interesting features, like an optional front-mounted secondary tube and a rotation-sensitive colour LCD for the menu. However I didn't find those particular functions to be overwhelmingly useful. The LCD, for example, is one of those low-quality colour screens of the kind used by early colour mobile phones like the Sony Ericsson T-610. It's reasonably easy to read, though, since it mostly uses large type. Controls for the front-mounted flash tube are buried in the menu structure, and the front tube only has manual control. One truly annoying feature is that its flash ready LED is too bright and shines uncomfortably into one's eye.<br>

In short, it's not a bad flash for the money, and it's vastly better than the other Nissin flash products, but it doesn't really compete fully with the 580EX II.</p>

<p>does anyone know how it would compare to the Sigma flashes (ef530 super) ? I have used these for quite a while but with the more rigorous use I have been putting them through lately, they ( the sigmas) are falling apart. for example, I managed to drop both a 420ex and a sigma 500 super. The canon was fine and the sigma broke into pieces.</p>

<p>I am lookin g for a cheaper alternative than 430ex and 580ex but I am concerned about durability.</p>

<p>I do have to say, I think the 580EX II functions better at full battery power. As in, a belt pack. The 580EX II does continue to work well after a few hours shooting with AA batteries, but I do notice some differences in exposure in the photos. I rented, (yes it's on the list to buy) a belt pack and got more consistent pics. The exposure difference isn't so much that I could not easily correct in PS, but if I can avoid PS, I do.</p>