<p>Perhaps this is the reason why the 100-400 has reduced in price.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That thread doesn't explain anything about anything.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>there must be 100k+ of white lenses around the pitch.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>So that's about 12 lenses then?</p>

<p><em>So that's about 12 lenses then?</em></p>

<p>Yes, that would be about it. Damn, must be more like $1m+ per stadium, with all the bodies and extras. I saw a fan in the stands with a 70-200 and camera mounted mic.</p>

<p>Anyone else notice all the cameras on mini tripods behind the net with remotes?</p>

<p>CPS have 37 pallets of gear there, that is just loaners and support equipment, not the gear the photographers have taken themselves. 10 venues with, conservatively, 20 Canon using pros per site. Average gear value for a sports pro, $20,000, that takes you to $4,000,000 before counting Canon's contribution which I would estimate to be $1,500,000-$2,000,000 (again on the low side).</p>

<p>These are very high profile events and get huge factory support, if you have accreditation you can turn up to CPS without a camera (or a Nikon :-) ) and walk into the press pit with 1D MkIV's and 600 and 200 teles, for free.</p>

<p>I watched England vs USA last night, and in one small pit area (and there are several such pits at each ground) I counted about twenty big Canons - 300mm f/2.8s, 400mm f/2.8s, 500mm f/4s, 600mm f/4s and a few 800mm f/5.6s.</p>

<p>Assuming an average price of $6k (and in fact the average price will have been higher than that because a lot of the 'togs will be European, and we always pay a lot more for our kit), that's $120k <em>in that one pit</em>.</p>

<p>And that's just <em>what I could see</em> - there'd be gear out of sight on the ground too.</p>