Recent KEH Experiences

<p>After decades of positives with KEH, my last experience, last year with them was poor. I ordered a mint flash unit and it never arrived but I was charged the sales price plus shipping. After weeks of waiting, numerous emails and some calls, their response was a refund minus the shipping for a unit never shipped as it turned out. Their web site really is substandard, imho. If I order now (not likely), it is strictly by phone and human interaction.</p>

<p>i've purchased from them 2 or 3 times in the last six months. I am pleased with their service and surprised with the quality of the items they sold me in BGN condition. One of those BGN items was my OM-4T. Great condition and works beautifully.</p>

<p>I'd much prefer buying from KEH than ebay when it comes to buying a body like the OM4. Peace of mind:)</p>

<p>Mr. Jakoel et. al., </p>

<p>Could KEH have changed hands or management recently? Or, perhaps it has passed through to the next generation of family ownership/management? Both sale and generational change has deteriorated and/or ruined so many other businesses. </p>

<p>A. T. Burke</p>

<blockquote>

<p ><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=3846568">paul f</a> <a href="../member-status-icons"></a>, Jun 11, 2010; 03:10 p.m.</p>

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p>Perhaps the insane pricing on Ebay and Craig's List have damaged the purchasing end of KEH's business model</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Please explain what you mean by "insane" (did you mean too high or too low? or randomly inconsistent?) and how they damege KEH (you mean KEH has been purchasing from ebay and CL ?)</p>

<p>Over the years I have ordered quite a lot of gear from KEH and never had even the slightest issue with their products. Typically I have always bought the EX or above rated items, and they have been just that.<br>

Today I received shipment of a power winder from KEH. The one I ordered was in EX condition, and was listed as such on the invoice. The wrapper on the item I actually received was clearly marked BGN, and visually it was obvious the winder would never work as it was seriously bent.<br>

I called KEH and they apologized for the packing mistake from their warehouse, and immediately issued an order to send me the correct item, and sent an email with a FedEx free return shipping label to return the part I received. When I explained it would take a couple days for me to get the part shipped to them, the agent advised to just toss it, and again apologized for the inconvenience the mistake cost me. <br>

Sure I'm out a few days while the correct item ships, but I am ultimately very satisfied at the way KEH immediately ponied up to the error and made it right. I'll keep shopping KEH as long as they respect the customer this way.</p>

<p>I guess the lesson learned here is that "bargain grade" is unknown territory. I don't buy from anybody if it's less than excellent grade, and the problems are almost nil.<br>

Question for KEH customers or KEH themselves: Do they buy only working cameras, or do they buy and repair as needed? </p>

<p>I've always had excellent service from KEH and I'll definitely buy more from them in the future. No testing can be perfect, as has already been pointed out. The KEH guy who bought things 'from the street" will certainly take the stuff for thorough checking at their place and then he may also discover bad things. I made 2 or 3 purchases where problems have arisen and these were quickly solved and always to my advantage. It is just impossible to test everything on high techs like cameras (they are no wheelbarrows) and we should keep it in mind every time and accept the fact.</p>

<p>I've always had excellent service from KEH and I'll definitely buy more from them in the future. No testing can be perfect, as has already been pointed out. The KEH guy who bought things 'from the street" will certainly take the stuff for thorough checking at their place and then he may also discover bad things. I made 2 or 3 purchases where problems have arisen and these were quickly solved and always to my advantage. It is just impossible to test everything on high techs like cameras (they are no wheelbarrows) and we should keep it in mind every time and accept the fact.</p>

• 5 months later...

<p>I just received a Fuji GA545zi as a BGN grade item. All looks cosmetically good except the LCD screen hardly works and it is very important for this camera! It is impossible to use without it!<br>

I live in Australia and have sent them an email asking them what to do. Fingers crossed. <br>

This was my first KEH purchase and I am really upset.</p>