Black Leica M4+35mm

<p>Quick question: Is it a bad time to sell Leica? I have a black chrome M4 and Summicron 35 F2 (4th gen) that is

not being used. Its beaten up, but the leatherette is wholesale and it works/looks great. Would appreciate you guys

(and gals) giving me any advice - where is the best place to sell and is now a good time?</p>

<p>In addition to the RFF, you might try the Leica User Forum http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/. They have a special B/S area. Mostly European users, but a pretty good following from Asia & USA as well. Lastly, I've always had success with the big auction site (Ebay), but it does require some due diligence to ensure everything goes well....needless to say, this would represent your widest range of potential buyers.</p>

<p>Give both the lens and the camera a very good rub, then take perfect close up photos on a bright white background with the aid of a softbox or a ceiling bounced flash (see the sample photo below). For the maximum profit, list them separately on ebay, putting the highest buy it now price that you have studied from ended listings, and make them available worldwide with free trackable shipping (no best offers, though). Allow buyers to pay via Paypal, Western Union or bank transfer. Give the item a thorough definition, and make your return policies clear. Include high-res sample photos taken by the items, too.</p>

<p>You can get the highest price much easier if you list the lens and the camera separately. Now there is an over enthusiastic and not so cash-stricken M9 owner crowd, and your Summicron v4 is appreciating in value (regardless of its cosmetic state). I've sold my second copy for £550 on the same day of listing, which was a mistake (I could have asked for more). M4 will always attract a buyer by itself, don't be romantic - don't bundle them. Study the finalised ebay listings carefully and choose the highest sold price. You can do this because you will provide the best photos of the item and sample photos too!</p>

<p>Be flexible, but also vigilant about payment. I don't see any security difference in using ebay or other forums when payment is done via Paypal. Like in bank transfers or cheques, add 3-4 days funds clearance time for Paypal, too. I was bitten once by a reversed payment. It was a stolen credit card and got reversed only 36hrs later. Yes I was a very considerate seller and had sent the item the next morning. Since I used a very good courier with tracking details, Paypal refunded me within a few weeks. Oh, and your ebay feedback counts, too. Maybe I was luckier since I had over 900+. :-)))</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>K.</p><div>00WbJ6-249143584.jpg.281cbfff10db469eec7e9fb4ae1d7ff8.jpg</div>

<p>I really appreciate the help. Thankyou. I will check out the forum and I will also think long and hard about selling before I commit. I have been back and forth on this for a year or two now and to be honest I feel like I'm holding on to them just for sentimental reasons now. With two young boys and no time to myself, my commitment to traditional photography is waning in favor of digital. Sacrilege I know.... I cut my teeth as a photographer shooting black and white film and I love the Leica look in my pictures, but the reality is I simply cannot do it justice. However....it is still in my camera bag after all these years....</p>

<p>You may someday want photos of your children on film, to last beyond their generation. I have many rolls of negatives and slides of my two sons from their infant years to their teen years. A Leica and 35mm Summicron with 400 speed film is unmatched for pictures like a son's first shave, or the nervousness of a new date. Keep the M4 and 35mm.</p>

<p>It seems to me that the prices of s/hand leica lenses are going through the roof. 35s especially. I bought a brand new 50 lux (not ASPH, i.e. old stock) recently and inside a month second hand ones out of warranty were exchanging on a forum here in Hong Kong for US$100 more than I paid brand new.</p>

<p>I'd keep it, especially for sentimental reasons, it will wait for you. Just buy a roll of BW400CN occasionally and have it processed in a lab.</p>

<p>I thought about it over the weekend and I decided to do exactly what Paul suggested. I hate to admit it, but I do feel an attachment to this M4. For years I used cameras as tools, never cared about any of them, but this one... it's different.<br>

So I'm buying some film right now, and thank you for everyone who helped sway me. I'm sure I would have regretted selling it.</p>