AGFA 8 as concentrate?

<p>Greetings,<br>

Can AGFA 8 be mixed as a concentrated solution and then diluted for use? I have a batch of glycin that I would like to get into solution.<br>

Formula for 1 liter stock:<br>

Sod. Sulf. 12.5 g<br>

Glycin 2g<br>

Pot. Carb 25g<br>

My best,<br>

Ken</p>

<p>You can surely prepare a more concentrated solution since those amounts seem quite below saturation concentrations, at least for sulfite and carbonate. Other issue is how long it will keep, you will have to run some tests but I wouldn't expect a long shelf life. That stock solution will be very basic, you'll need an apropiated bottle. May be it would keep better preparing one solution wth the carbonate and another wth sulfite+glycine like you do with beutler developer.</p>

<p>Ken,</p>

<p>Glycin is only sparingly soluble in water, but readily soluble in alkali solution. You should be able to make a 10X concentration of Agfa 8 without too much trouble, though you'd be pushing the solubility of the sulfite. You could cut the sulfite back to 100g/Liter without significantly altering the characteristics of the developer, and it would be easier to get it all into solution. </p>

<p>I'm planning to make some changes to my glycin formula (<a href="http://gsd-10.blogspot.com/">GSD-10</a>) to facilitate a more concentrated stock solution. It might end up as:</p>

<p>distilled water: 60ml<br>

sodium sulfite: 10g<br>

glycin: 10g<br>

potassium carbonate: 75g<br>

distilled water to 100ml</p>

<p>Dilute 1:100- 1:200 for stand development, 1:50 for intermittent or rotary development</p>

<p><strong><br /></strong></p>

<p>Yes, I once mixed Agfa 8 to a four (or five) times stronger concentrate. The chemicals involved are perfect for making a stronger concentrate.</p>

<p>I've seen old recipes where the glycin developers were mixed to a milky slurry that would be kept in small air tight bottles. It kept much longer that way.</p>

<p>Maybe I should start mixing Agfa 8 again. It's an excellent developer, that reminds me of Rodinal but with perhaps better midtones.</p>

<p>Thank you for the replies....just what I was hoping for, particularly the 10x concentration. <br>

I have tried a bunch of other glycin developers, Hubl paste included, but find Agfa 8 has the best tones for what I do (my usual developer is Rodinal...go figure). Since there is going to be some glycin left over, I am intending on giving GSD-10 a go.<br>

My best,<br>

Ken<br>

<a href="http://www.kjbruno.com">www.kjbruno.com</a></p>