About to purchase new Nikon gear, looking for feedback/opinions...

photojen

<p>Luca, I suggest you re-read what I wrote earlier, on May 29, 1:24pm. Even though you are buying a D700 anyway, you are still better off getting it a little later when it is no longer the current model. Once a replacement is announced, the value for the D700, new or used, will likely drop. However, if you still want a new one, you probably need to act fast because there might not be very many new D700 remaining. If you want to buy used, there should be plenty of them as some people upgrade. More supply, price drops; it is very simple.</p>

<p>Waiting does not mean that you have to buy the newer, more expensive model.</p>

<blockquote>

<p ><a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=24372">Shun Cheung</a> May 29, 2010; 01:24 p.m.</p>

<p>The D700 has to be quite late in its production cycle. I have no insider info (or I wouldn't be posting here), but I expect that it'll be replaced in the next few months. If nothing else, its value will likely drop quickly. If you want a D700 anyway, you should be able to get it cheaper if you can wait. If you cannot wait, the D700 is still a fine camera now.

</p>

</blockquote>

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Shun,<br>

What you say is true, but there is of course always the fact that most people want (or need) to buy at a given point. And there is a difference between "I wait because I want feature X which the current model does not have" and "I wait because I want to pay 300 euros less". The first one is was I was commenting on before. The second is of course true as well, but there is the usual dilemma: 300 euros less, but three more months without a significantly superior camera (thinking about the OP's D80). Even if you can wait (I could wait forever for example, I have a perfectly functional D200 and I'm an amateur), at a certain point the saving is not worth the waiting. For me, that point came in February. I'm, in fact curious of how much the D700 price can go down still. I might be wrong, But I don't think it will ever go much lower than 1900 euros new, also because as you say the remaining stock will likely be completely exhausted in a short time. So one might end up waiting 3 months to save 100 euros.</p>

<p>In a sense, it is the same philosophy I was describing before. I don't buy a camera because it is the latest and greatest or when it is the best deal it will ever be. I decide what I want in the new camera, I decide what price I'm ready to pay. When the camera I want reaches the price I want, I buy. Once I do, I don't look back. In Italy we have a say which translates more or less as "the better is the enemy of the good".</p>

<p>Ciao</p>

<p>L.</p>