Fashion photography startup

<p>Hello everyone! <br>

I have been a professional photographer since 2007 and had a storefront studio since 2007. This past November I closed up my storefront business and moved to Nashville, TN to go to school. Since November I have not done much photography and the absence of photography from my life is starting to annoy me. I'm thinking about getting back into the business, under a new name and a fresh start with new style. With my last studio I photographed weddings, families, seniors, and some fashion type work. My favorite part was the fashion aspect of it. So my question is, does anyone have any tips for getting started in a fashion photography business in a new city? I already know my technical stuff.. just how would you go about starting up? <br>

Thanks for any input! <br>

Josh</p>

<p>Get up in the morning and do it. There is no set way to start up. There has to be trial and error. You have to have 100% passion and not just the word, the actual feeling of passion.You have to make mistakes. The more mistakes you make, the better you get. Be prepared for anything. Don't ever quit again. When you get knocked down, get up. Take criticism of your work, get hurt from it, use those emotions to get better.<br>

To be a successful Fashion Photographer you have to set the trend. Be on the cutting edge. Be prepared. Do quality work.<br>

You could befriend some photographers and take on their throw away work to start. The possibilities are endless and it all starts with passion. Which I think you probably have but it never hurts to be reminded.<br>

This little pep talk may or may not have helped you but it helped me.<br>

PS: Getting established is the tough part of photography.</p>

<p>If you google "fashion show nashville" you get some good places to start. In particular, maybe you can hook up with the Nashville Fashion Group, since they seem to be on top of local events. Pep talks are way overused and they aren't going to help you find what you need to find. Just hook up with the local scene, do the search and contact everyone you can find. </p>

<p>Josh,</p>

<p>Starting any business in any city takes some work on your part; more importantly..goal setting should be your priority now.</p>

<p>Since you have the technical aspect squared away, focus on what you need to; the business.</p>

<p>Start here:</p>

<p>1) Set some short term goals. (i.e) "Today I will call 3 prospects" "By weeks end I will have 50 new frames shot & processed" etc..etc...<br>

Make the short term goals REALISTIC. "I'm going to shoot the top 20 models in this city" is NOT a realistic goal.</p>

<p>Your short term goals should lead to mid-term goals and finally long term.</p>

<p>Each day, it should not matter what you do; but what you do should be (forward) progress.</p>

<p>I may be stretching here, but if you are anything like me, just getting organized is a challenge each day.</p>

<p>Because you've already operated a business, one of your challenges will be to re-establish sound business habits. I once read habits require about 20-30 days to form.</p>

<p>After 30-60 days; re-evaluate your position.<br>

Have you met your short term goals?<br>

If no; why not?</p>

<p>Lastly; keep some fun in your business. When the business becomes drudgery, it's time to get out.</p>

<p>I think you know what to do. Any of us who shoot professionally know (what) to do. It's (doing) it that requires the greatest effort.</p>

<p>Practial advice<br>

Sign up to MM, find models to do high fashion and make yourself a killer folio. MM is <a href="http://www.modelmayhem.com">www.modelmayhem.com</a><br>

Then find an agent and get them to sell your work. Yes there are agents for this, maybe check your local fashion school to photograph their graduating collections as a starter. A creative art marketing person might be able to help you get on the right path as well. Good luck!</p>

<p>Hi Josh, What you need to do is find another studio/space to shoot and give yourself more credibility. Next you need to start calling up the modeling agencies in the area and start building a relationship with them. Ask them if they will let their new faces (talent) test with you and set up some test shots. I know these aren't paid but it gets your foot in the door and your name in front of people that will get you to the places you need to be. Next find some local fashion designers and show them your work. They may hire you to start shooting for their look books or catalogs/brochures. Those are the first two things you need to work on. good luck and God speed mate!</p>