Second Body

<p>Hello everybody,</p>

<p>I have a question for you all, especially the current users of 1Ds MK II (not III) and 5D MK II.<br>

If you buy the 1Ds MK IV when it comes out- which one of the above would you choose as the second body and

why ?<br>

Considering you shoot Landscape/Macro/Portraits and occassional wildlife and you have a decent collection of L

series lenses- please give me your feedback.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance</p>��������������������

��������������������������������

<p>I have the 1DIIN, 5DII and 7D. If I bought a 1DIV (which I will not) then I would probably keep the 1DIIN as it is the same controls and crop. For sports use either the 1DIIN or 7D would make the best back up for the 1DIV. If I got the 1DIV (again I am unlikely to) then obviosly the choice would be the 5DII for landscape, portrait etc... Since the question you ask is about the 1DsIV then the 5DII is the obvious choice. Ask yourself this question - which is your main body for landscape and portrait - in my case I always reach for the 5DII before the 1DIIN.</p>

<p>I would do neither. I currently own a 5D mkII. I will probably buy the 40 meg Pentax MF 645D. Anyone considering their next move should consider the option of picking up used Pentax 645 lenses while they are still reasonable on the used market as the 645D is likely to not cost much more than the 1Ds mkIV when it becomes reality. Personally, I'm not thrilled with the thought of 30-40 megs crammed on a 35mm size sensor and I know several photographers who own 5D2s and Nikon D3s, who shoot landscapes and have similar misgivings.</p>

<p>For landscape work, the Pentax 645D may well offer the opportunity to get into medium format digital with a substantial leap in IQ over present FF 35mm sensor bodies. The wise move will be to wait and see how the next generation of Canon and Nikon FF bodies stack up against the Pentax 645D, with the caution that Pentax promotes first and foremost the 645D as a field/landscape camera aimed at existing 645n owners.</p>

<p>Thanks everybody.</p>

<p>Charles/Peter,</p>

<p>Thank you for the suggestion.</p>

<p>I literally drool when I thought of a MF considering the resolution I would get, especialy when my interest is mainly portrait and landscape. In fact, I have posted questions about a "one body, one lens" MF set up for studio use in the past, even though I have not bought any. Almost decided on a Pentax 6 X7 though!</p>

<p>Realistically, MF is out because of my L series lens collection. I can not afford to start from scratch to build up an MF system! So, I have to stick to the 35 mm.</p>

<p>Yakim,</p>

<p>I value your opinion. Do you think that the 5D MK II is superior to 1Ds MKII afa IQ is concerned ? Are there documentations of it ? If so, I can use the 5D MKII as the 2nd body and the new Ds (if I can afford) as the primary one! One issue could be the built quality of the 5d compared to 1Ds- weatherproofing etc ! IQ is the deciding factor for me.</p>

<p>BTW, does anyone know when is the 1Ds MK IV coming out ? Any rumor ?</p>

<p>Thanks again</p>

<p>I use the 1DS MKIII and 1D MKIII bodies. For me it's a killer pair. For my action shots the 1D3 works great and the 1.3 crop gets me slightly closer to the action. The 1DS3 can't be beat for image quality (weddings, portraits). It would be hard to get <strong>significantly</strong> better image quality with a 1DS4 in my opinion. More features like movies - sure. The image quality of the 1D3 is also amazing considering the 10mp sensor. Plus the controls and menus of both bodies are identical, and batteries and chargers are interchangeable too which makes daily shooting very practical. </p>

<p>The 1ds Mark II, has weather sealing, that is lacking on the 5D MK ii, is still anyones opinnion which is better. The 1Ds Mark ii, is 16 MP and takes great shots and has many features and is really good for landscapes. I just seen photos that were not as sharp of the 5d that were not as sharp as the 1Ds Mark ii. </p>