which developer I should use for HP5+, Tmax100 with CPP2?

<p>I tried to develop by myself with home made developer using CPP2 machine. I read some threads and decided to use PCTEA since I found it was not toxic and had long shelf life. It works very well for FP4+ 125 (120) and GP3 100 (120) and I used 1:50 diluted solution and developing time were 10.5 min and 11.5 min. But it did not work well for Tmax100 (4X5) and HP5+400(135), even I used 1:25 diluted solution with 20 min developing time, zone V density only reached to 0.3 (HP5+), 0.45(Tmax100) and zone VIII between 0.65(Tmax100) and 1.10(HP5+). My question is if I should change to other developers. If yes, which kind of developer I should use?</p>

<p>If your home made PC-TEA developer was working well with FP4+ and GP3 100, then I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work at least decently with TMax 100 and HP5+. This makes me want to think that something else is wrong here, and I couldn't even begin to guess what. Maybe the developer has gone bad. Maybe you did something else differently. I have no idea. If you like the idea of a highly concentrated liquid developer, then try some Kodak HC-110 or the Ilford equivalent LC-29. These work well, and have long shelf lives.</p>

<p>David, since you already have TEA, ascorbic acid, and phenidone; I recommend you add pyrogallol to your chemical stock and make up some 510-Pyro. 510-Pyro works very well with the films you use, and is perfectly suited to rotary processing. Use 510-Pyro 1:100, 70F, and develop 7:30 as a starting point. I think you'll be very pleased with your results.</p>

<p>I used the same diluted solution (1:50) for all films:FP4+, GP3, HP5+ and Tmax, the only difference is the tank. I use following formular of PCTEA<br>

100 ml TEA<br>

9 g ascorbic acid (erytorbic acid, AKA isoascorbic acid works as well)<br>

.225 g phenidone<br>

and I used follwoing fixer (diluted to 1:3) TF-3 neutral:<br>

--------------------------------------------------------<br>

ammonium thiofulfate (60% solution) 200ml<br>

sodium sulfite 15 g<br>

sodium metabisulfite 5 g<br>

water to make 1 liter<br>

----------------------------------------------<br>

The process is:<br>

1, water soak for 5 min<br>

2, develop for 10 - 20 min<br>

3, water wash for 1 min<br>

4, fix for 4 min<br>

5, water wash for 20 min<br>

I read some people added more phinidone, not sure if this will help me to solve my problem.</p>

<p>Did not anyone notice that David is using ammonium thiosufate in a developer recipe? I'm not surprised that you're getting lousy results. Ammonium thiosulfate is <strong>fixer</strong>, and a powerful silver halide solvent when mixed with water. Fixer has no place in a general purpose developer. I've seen recipes for its use in a monobath developer where the developer and fixer are combined in a single bath. These are not very popular, probably because they don't work very well. Here's the recipe for PC-TEA from an old thread on apug.org:</p>

<p><em>100 ml triethanolamine (TEA)</em><br>

<em>9 g ascorbic or erythorbic acid (AKA isoascorbic acid)</em><br>

<em>0.2 g phenidone</em><br>

<em>Heat to 200 F til dissolved. TEA will darken.</em><br>

<em>dilute 1+50 with water and develop HP5+ 8 or 9 minutes at 70 F</em></p>

<p>Find the thread here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/8263-formula-pc-tea-developer.html</p>

<p>100 ml TEA<br /> 9 g ascorbic acid (erytorbic acid, AKA isoascorbic acid works as well)<br /> .225 g phenidone<br /> and I used follwoing fixer (diluted to 1:3) TF-3 neutral:<br /> --------------------------------------------------------<br /> ammonium thiofulfate (60% solution) 200ml<br /> sodium sulfite 15 g<br /> sodium metabisulfite 5 g<br /> water to make 1 liter<br>

Looks to me like the ammonium thiofulfate (60% solution) 200ml is part of the fixer solution. May not be clear due to the line spacing and where he inserted the ----------------------</p>