Windows 7 on more than one computer

<p>Other things to consider, is all your hardware even supported by Windows 7? Is it fast enough and have enough memory to run Windows 7? Will all your existing software run properly under Windows 7? Most name brand machines, esp notebooks have hardware components and functions that are not fully supported by retail box versions of OS upgrades. If the computer manufacturer makes an OS upgrade available, then it might be worth considering.</p>

<p>Why do you want to upgrade the OS in the first place, other that to send more money to Microsoft for what is usually an unnecessary upgrade?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Most name brand machines, esp notebooks have hardware components and functions that are not fully supported by retail box versions of OS upgrades.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I had never heard of that. Drivers enable features, and mfrs. release new drivers all the time. Most basic features and some advanced ones are available for virtually all hardware without even installing drivers.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Why do you want to upgrade the OS in the first place, other that to send more money to Microsoft for what is usually an unnecessary upgrade?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Win 7 is a major upgrade from XP in many ways including stability, usability, security, performance, etc.</p>

<p>I'd guess you haven't been supporting hardware and software for windows based platform's for almost 20 years. :( Yes the backwards support has gotten somewhat better, but almost no hardware manufacturers writes new drivers for obsolete or discontinued items, it's in their best interests to not support discontinued hardware, you have to buy new. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>To be legal you need to purchase a license for each machine. The cheapest method I found was to purchase the license at the same time you purchase a system. I went back to my place of purchase once to purchase an additional license, to get all systems in our house legal, and they sold me the kosher Microsoft install disk/license, plus a small packet of hard drive securing screws. The pack of screws bumped the price by $1.00, and comprised my "system".</p>

<blockquote>

<p>For the risk involved in buying from unknown marketplace sellers, you might as well buy 3 OEM licenses from NewEgg for the same amount of money.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>One thing to note about OEM Licenses that I have been burned on before. If your motherboard need to be replaced (even if everything else stays the same) you have to buy a new windows install. The OEM versions are linked to the motherboards. The nice thing about the retail versions, is that you can transfer them to any new computer whenever you upgrade and/or trash your old one.</p>

<p>It is true that an OEM's activation is linked to your hardware, but when upgrading something like a motherboard all that's required is a call to Microsoft where they'll ask you if you're trying to run it on two PC's. Then they reset your activation. I've done it; it works.</p>

<p>Also I think incompatibilities are overblown, or the upgrader didn't know what s/he was doing, and/or isn't experienced in Win 7 upgrades. I've done three on a newish PC, a six-year-old HTPC, and a nine-year-old Dell laptop, all without issue.</p>