Pentax reviewed by... Time magazine.

shaloot

<p>The latest edition of Time magazine that I received has a review of 4 outdoor point and shoots. The Olympus, Panasonic, Casio and Pentax. The reviewer actually chose the Pentax in the end, especially liking the neat little carabiner that comes with it!<br>

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1989132,00.html</p>

<p>I wonder if Ned knows this!</p>

<p>Also, last year, Time chose the K-x as a camera for "Best Travel Gadget of 2009"<br>

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1933520_1933522_1933477,00.html</p>

<p>My local camera shop has a red one for sale with lens for $400...</p>

<p>Are most Pentax users feeling so unsecured and need to dig every favorable reviews for reassurance? Ads and reviews lure people buying into something, but only solid products can keep them staying. Pentax DCs are weak since day one. Do something Pentax! Do something!!</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"Are most Pentax users feeling so unsecured and need to dig every favorable reviews for reassurance?"</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>We're so used to getting trampled (partially by statements like <em>"weak since day one"</em> that when repeated often enough become internet gospel) that many of us do enjoy seeing our favorite underdog praised once in a while. And you're right that many of Pentax's compacts have not been stand-outs...but they usually still perform competently and are usually cheaper. And unlike another better-known company with a line of some rather mediocre compacts, Pentax doesn't have the budget to flood television with flashy TV commercials starring celebrities. </p>

<p>I was somewhat surprised to see a TV commercial yesterday for Olympus Pen; another smaller company I'm not accustomed to seeing lots of ads & commercials for.</p>

<p>Anyway, Pentax has been working on their rugged W-series optio for many years now and even if the camera inside doesn't match an S90 or LX3 they have carved out a bit of a niche with the crowd that appreciates that the camera survives over perhaps the very last bit of high performance. What is kind of funny is that until they had some competitors, the niche didn't receive as much attention as it has for the last year or two as other companies are starting to release ruggedized digicams.</p>

<p>I also think it would be nice if Pentax would produce an outstanding compact designed for photographers--though I'm not holding my breath. Pentax has only had a very small number of compacts that could be reasonably described as 'upmarket'.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Alan Chan wrote:<br>

Are most Pentax users feeling so unsecured and need to dig every favorable reviews for reassurance? Ads and reviews lure people buying into something, but only solid products can keep them staying. Pentax DCs are weak since day one. Do something Pentax! Do something!!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Alan. To be honest, this is a stupid comment. Just letting you know.</p>

<p>Do not bash Pentax, they make great cameras. My 3rd camera was a Pentax 6x7.</p>

<p>However, Time Magazine would not be my first authority for review.<br />After all they did select a camera, as per the discussion in the link:<br /><a href="../alternative-cameras-forum/00WPnQ">http://www.photo.net/alternative-cameras-forum/00WPnQ</a></p>

<p>With selection of camera like that, you can rest assured that they know something about photography subject.</p>

<p>ok but the writers are not herb keppler or jason scheider or norman rothchild ( modern's trio)<br>

But when Consumer Union tested cameras in 1960, they liked the Yashica Pentamatic over the Miranda D.<br>

OK so Miranda was an older design. and had an external diaphragm. but I have 3 lenses for it and others will fit.<br>

BUT Yashica NEVER made another compatible lens for the Pentamatic. and changed lens mounts two more times.</p>

<p>It is the same way they tested cars a "here and now test" Not considering that a car or appliance may be used for 10-12 years not 2 weeks.<br>

they Liked the Fiat's but thay all rusted away in about 5 years.</p>

<p>Actually, Pentax is a very small company, with very little marketing budget and even less actual marketing, and generally overlooked by the mainstream media.</p>

<p>It's not insecurity so much as advertising and main stream press. The only way a company like Pentax does really well and grows (and despite us all liking the underdog, growth means survival) is when it builds a product that generates buzz. For pentax that is the sub $1500 DSLR, the sub $10,000 medium format, and the rugged digital compacts. Unfortunately, none of those items are in super sexy product categories (ok the 645D is, but it's a limited distribution for now).</p>

<p>Let me put this into another example. In the US you aren't going to get a lot of attention for building awesome compact cars, but people start noticing you when you build full size luxury cars and SUVs. Pentax makes kick ass compact cars, Canon and Nikon make SUVs. I'd say the 645D is definitely an SUV, but it still needs a world wide release. Right now it's the Subaru WRX sitting in Japan for a decade before North America could touch the thing.</p>

<p>However, I do agree, Pentax DCs (I assume we mean digital compacts) are not spectacular. This is evidenced by how many of us own Canon or Panasonic DCs.</p>

<p>I really want the W90 for many reasons, I think it would be sufficient for what I'd use it for, but even for what I want it for I feel like it's just a little lacking in terms of IQ.</p>

<p>Nevertheless, any positive reviews and advertising a small company like Pentax can get is a good thing, and I appreciate the link! Thanks Somanna</p>

<p>Alan -- "Word of Mouth" is how Pentax gets most of its sales. It can keep its prices down and give the most bang-for-the-buck as well. I think misappropriating "Word of Mouth" marketing as otherwise is a bit insulting. But we Pentax users are used to it.<br>

Beyond that, I let my photos do the talking.</p>

<p>I actually was just surprised at a) it featured on the writer's list of products for him to test, so that shows at least he's getting the news about the product and b) he actually chose the Pentax. Too often when magazines like these, or really magazines that aren't gear related, chose cameras (or other electronics) for "testing", they go with the big names and the result is usually predictable. In fact, the NY Times tech guy just did an outdoor point and shoot test and he only chose 2 models to test... Panasonic and Sony. It was quite the terrible read...</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>i must be one of the silent majority, who love Pentax. When i went to California,on a long trip, i took my Leicas and my beloved Pentax's. The Pentax were for use, the Leicas, in case i need cash...The Pentax were used for photojournalism, documentary, weddings and events. Snapped the famous and the unknown. Never a problem in 4 years. The Takumars and Pentax more than equal to the Leica lenses. The only item missing in the Pentax performance was a terrible lack of flare. The famous Leica glow.</p>