Nikon S2 rangefinder. is it suitable for...?

<blockquote>Are they suitable for street photography?</blockquote>

<p>Most definitely, especially if you like 50mm. The finder is large, bright, and offers 1:1 magnification, the handling is quick, and (with internal-mount lenses, at least) it can even be focussed one-handed. Not to mention that the lenses available offer good-to-stunning image quality.

<br>

$1K seems a lot to spend on one, though. I would suggest that you look for a tidy chrome-dial version - it's relatively common and not too costly.

</p>

<br/>

<blockquote>What about the hyperfocal?</blockquote>

<p>Please elaborate.</p>

<br/>

<blockquote>The viewfinder is small, but will it benefit people who wears glasses?</blockquote>

<p>It's more than large enough to be used comfortably while wearing specs. I found it to be at least as good, if not better, that the average consumer-grade dSLR.<br>

Personally I thoroughly enjoyed my time with an S2. I'd still have one now were it not for the fact that I had to choose between it and a Leica M3.</p>

<br/>

<p>Look at <a href="http://www.collectiblecameras.com/">Collectible Cameras</a> for a nice example - they're great people with whom to deal and they stock a wide range of classic cameras.</p>

<p>I've had mine for two years. I paid $600 with 50mm f1.4 it produces stunning pictures. Cons: shutter is louder than Leica, affixing lenses of other focal lengths is fiddly, one must insure lens is on infinity otherwise attaching lens to mount is difficult, a separate or multifinder needed for each focal length other than 50mm. It's a wonderful photographic instrument but frankly I prefer my Leica M3 and my Leica M1 for the above mentioned comments. I use my Leica M1 with 35mm and wider focal, my M3 for 50o, 90 and 135mm lenses.</p>

<p>There are two kinds of people in the world<br>

"Bottom feeders" who are people who like to load film from the bottom of the camera. Although that 'feature' has been eliminated in later Leicas, it still sums up the marque, for some of us anyway<br>

And then there are the people who shoot with Contax family cameras. If you like Leicas, usually you're not so hot about Contax family cameras, but if you find a Contax to be to your taste, then the supposedly difficult bayonet mount is much preferred to LTM.<br>

Other than the real thing, there are two other marques that are really Contaxes in all but name plate -- the Kievs (made on the original equipment but in Ukraine) and the superb Nikon rangefinders.</p>

<p>Nikon took a great design and achieved a kind of apotheosis with it.</p>

<p>So, Yes, it's terrific for street photography or any other kind of photography where a RF is good.</p>

<p>Do check prices, though. A check of eBay shows that asked prices much over $700 are <em><strong>NOT</strong></em> selling. Chrome models in good shape with a lens are selling generally for $500 to 700 right now.</p>

<blockquote>Hyperfocal as in focusing in infinity so when I shoot it in small aperture like f/11 the image will be sharper. Plus focusing for street photography is inevitable sometimes. Hyperfocal have to be used most of the time for my work.</blockquote>

<p>The necessary distance and depth-of-field marks are present on the lens or body, depending on whether it's an internal- or external-mount lens.</p>

<p>OT: bottom-feeding (loading) is still alive and kicking in the current film Leicas.</p>

<p>Get a Japanese Voigtlander Bessa (available in Leica M, Nikon and Contax mounts) if you are a user more than a collector.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>Sure, the S2 is a fine camera for street photography; the finder is more than ok for eye-glass wearers as well. Contax/Kiev RFs are a cheaper alternative. All of the rangefinders, yes, incl. the Leica M9, are somewhat for masochists, though. Surprisingly, in the real world, there is nothing wrong with using a (e.g. cheap) (D)SLR, which also works just fine....so does a plethora of other camera types. If it has to be a 35mm RF, the S2 is lovely though, almost as good as an SP, and e.g. much easier to load with film than those overpriced dang vintage Leicas...:)</p>