Choosing a Digtal Projector

<p>I would be very grateful for any advice regarding my planned purchase.<br />I need a digital projector to present photographic lectures to camera clubs with an attendance of up to 50 people per night. The room will be dark. I can determine the projector's distance from the screen, which will be 7 feet square maximum. I believe lots of lumens are important . I've heard that multimedia projectors are too contrasty, better to go for a home theatre projector. It needs to be portable (size and weight is an issue). It needs to be switchable to UK power supply, 240v and 50 hertz. I believe high resolution is a real benefit. I've also had Canon recommended. I can spend up to US$900.00. Any recommendations?<br>

Adrian</p>

<p>" lots of lumens are important " - will require high power lamps, and that makes switching power supply much more expensive for your requirement that "It needs to be switchable ". </p>

<p>Prices also vary, sometimes to the point of purchasing 2 projectors, one for 240 and one for 110 VAC, instead of one very expensive.</p>

<p>Apprently you did not like the one already found: </p>

<p><a href="http://www.photo.net/filters-bags-tripods-accessories-forum/00WTWR">http://www.photo.net/filters-bags-tripods-accessories-forum/00WTWR</a></p>

<p>Due to the need for high power lamp, switchable projectors are not popular, but keep looking...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Adrian, I thought I knew which projector I would buy, but after renting a few, I found they were way under powered for the room I was using. So there are two things I might suggest: rent or borrow projectors to test them, and make sure you factor in an additional backup bulb (they are very expensive).</p>

<p>I would suggest you check out the various discussion threads on AVSFORUM.COM for highly detailed comments and reviews of various projector brands/models. For the most part, Epson and Sanyo (which OEMs many of the Canon models) are very popular. If room lighting can be controlled a 1000-2000 lumen model should be sufficient for the screen size you're planning to use.<br>

This current thread on their site may be what you're looking for:<br>

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1249910</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Thanks everyone for your advice. It's great to be able to benefit from expert knowledge so easily. I've followed Charles' link and looked at detail at their recommendations and product reviews. As it stands I think I'll go for the Optoma HD20, unless anyone feels I should reconsider. Many thanks, Adrian</p>