Rugged Point and Shoot?

ellery

<p>Hey everyone, Happy Friday!!</p>

<p>Quick question, hopefully this is an ok forum to post:</p>

<p>I am looking perhaps to buy a "rugged" point and shoot for the beach, boating, canoeing, hiking, etc....I currently use a little cannon point and shoot that suits me fine, but I had tried an olympus 8000 a few years back on my honeymoon - it had a problem with it - some leak I believe or something - returned it - but while it worked, it was alot of fun to use and got some cool shots out in the water - under the water - had tons of flexibility and was care free - of course I had to return it but I think it was a defect or something weird...<br>

Anyway - there are a few models I am looking at now and cannot decide:<br>

Panasonic TS1 - 12mp - seems to be a really decent choice - havent got to hold in or see it in real life<br>

Panasonic TS2 - 14mp - seems to be the same as above but tack on 100 more bucks (330 or for TS2)<br>

Olym Stylus 8000 - seems pretty decent although I had my own problems with it - a bit anxious to try again....but it really was pretty rock solid I think.<br>

Fujifilm XP10 - I can get it at my workplace for 150 bucks flat - its construction subjectively to me does not look as impressive as the others - and one of the access panels seemed rather cheap...not sure if it is even worth the 150 bucks?? But the price was tempting....</p>

<p>Of course - I wish I could just take my D90 simming around in the pool, but I wont try that :)</p>

<p>wow - 270 for the Optio W90 - thats pretty impressive price really compared to some of the others - I like the look of it too...the Lumix TS1 is essentially the same camera though as far as I can tell for like 220 - I would like to get a closer look at both of these cameras for comparison - hard to find them in an actual store though ....sigh..</p>

<p>got the Pentax Optio WP90 after further review - I had 50 bucks in best buy reward points that were going to expire - got this camera for about 240 - the macro mode can focus to 1cm - that sounds like fun too!! Ill tell you all how it goes when I try it out.<br>

<a href="http://www.pentaximaging.com/digital-camera/Optio_W90_Pistachio_Green/">http://www.pentaximaging.com/digital-camera/Optio_W90_Pistachio_Green/</a></p>

<p>Take Care.</p>

<p>I have an old "underwater" 7 MP drop proof Olympus, and the newer Panasonic TS1 - 12MP.<br>

Panasonic is much better, hesitating much less and taking pictures faster, but there is perhaps 3 years technology difference between these two.</p>

<p>The Panasonic TS1 shoots AVCHD Lite video, but perhaps all of the newest models will do this, soon.</p>

<p>I have an old "underwater" 7 MP drop proof Olympus, and the newer Panasonic TS1 - 12MP.<br>

Panasonic is much better, hesitating much less and taking pictures faster, but there is perhaps 3 years technology difference between these two.</p>

<p>The Panasonic TS1 shoots AVCHD Lite video, but perhaps all of the newest models will do this, soon.</p>

<p>Yeah, the TS1 or TS2 I would likely have bought if they had been selling it at best buy - I had 50 bucks in savings through BB so I went with the Pentax - I have read less about this new Optio W90, but apparently they have been making these cameras now for a long time - longer than the other brands as I understand, so hopefully my gamble pays off - if I dont like the optio - I will look to the Panasonic later on......</p>