Help on how to get B&W prints

<p>Hi to all from a site newbie in England.<br>

Can anyone please tell me how to go about getting prints from 120 roll film negatives. I have lately added a Zeiss Icon Nettar 517/16 to my old camera collection. It is in mint condition so I want to get it working again. I have sourced the film, next day delivery great! I did use to process my own in my own darkroom when i was a lot younger so I understand the process. If i get the film processed by a lab, apart from getting a new enlarger and printing equipment, can I scan and reverse the negs somehow and then print them with my photo printer? I do have a 35mm neg and slide scanner so it must be possible. Any advice on equipment and the like would be much appreciated, Thanks Richard. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>can I scan and reverse the negs somehow and then print them with my photo printer?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Sure. Scanners for medium format film, both dedicated film scanners (best) and good quality flat-beds, are possible solutions. Many labs will scan your film for you if send out your processing work. Pigment inkjet printers make beautiful B&W prints on a variety of archival papers.</p>

<p>I'm sure you will get more detailed answers in the Digital Darkroom, Medium Format or Beginner Forum. A search of Photo.net archives should bear fruit as well.</p>

<p>Welcome to Photo.net, Richard! The Classic Camera forum is a great spot to talk about your old cameras and share photos of them and from them. Showing off that mint Zeiss Icon and a few pics from it would be a great post here as well as any questions about it's history, operation or even repair issues. In this forum, there are some very knowledgeable people who are always willing to help and it's generally an easy going, fun group. <br>

<br /></p>

<p>Hi Richard:</p>

<p>I don't know if this will be the best solution for you, especially since you already have a 35mm film scanner, but I use an Epson flatbed (an older Photo 3200) and have been happy with it. It came with film holders for 35mm, 120 and 4x5 film, and can handle other sizes if you rig up something to hold the film flat. Since it also functions as a normal document scanner, I got rid of my old paper-only flatbed and replaced it with the Epson. I got mine used on eBay to save money, which always entails a bit of risk but it's been fine.</p>

I did what Richard did and got an even cheaper older version.... Many scanners offer 35mm possibilities. the more you know the better off you are. The Epson series often supported MF, but are the negative carriers available, or is the overhead light an accessory or is it built-in to the lid? Essentially depending on how big the "transparency" foot print on the scanner is. you might be able to fabricate a negative holder. I've seen some scanner that have a light in the lid, but it was conceived that only a single strip of 35mm film would be used or is nominally wide enough to take a 2 x 2 slide frame. Another model might take two strips of 35mm film that could "theoretically " provide a wide enough of a footprint to scan 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 (6x6 cm).

Most scanners have their own interface program that is compatible with any'/all picture editing software. This interface program is often referred to as a driver, but the real name is a Twain Interface driver. Either the Twain interface or the software of the picture editing program can do the negative reversal either simultaneously with the scan or defacto after the scan.

<p>Software for scanners that handle film usually has B&W Negative mode. The least expensive thing for your needs would be an Epson V500 (or 4490 or V600 - same thing, different generations) which is fine unless you want large prints. Then there are higher model Epsons, Nikons, Imacons - as expensive as you want to pay for, better quality at each step.</p>

<p>Richard, Epson have made a series of flatbed scanners which do a good job of scanning 120 film. I've had an Epson Perfection 2450 for a number of years - it also does 5x4. The light source in the lid is wide enough.35mm scanners whether flatbed or film won't be up to it.<br>

Another way of doing it is with a digital camera, you can just lay the film on a light box and photograph it. you need a camera with a close enough macro facility, ideally a DSLR with a macro lens.<br>

To convert to positive you really need an image editor, Photoshop / Elements or similar as to get reasonable results you will also need to be able to adjust levels, sharpen,remove dirt and crop etc.</p>

<p>Obviously that is a good idea to get a flatbed scanner for 6x6, but if someone is looking for actual dark room optical print process. Where is one can get that in USA? I asked in the local specialized store which has studio attached and they said that they do not have dark room anymore. Where one can rent it for a day?</p>

<p>A lot of cities have rental darkrooms. (For example, in Boston I'm familiar with Lapete lab.) There are also pro labs that will do optical prints for you. Richard Photo Lab is one example. Of course, this is expensive - you're paying for a time-consuming process done by an experienced staff member.</p>