Purple cast on Ilford Gold Fibre Silk prints but not on Ilford Classic Pearl

<p>Hi folks, <br>

I am an amateur on printing so go easy on me !<br>

I am using PSCS, and a Canon Pixma 560, and when I print a B&W photo (converted in many different ways, including desat, gradient map, channel mixture, changing to BW mode by discarding colour information, etc.....) on the Ilford Classic Pearl paper, I get a nice B&W photo.<br>

However, if I print the same photo on the Ilford Gold Fibre Silk (baryta paper), I get a purple cast !(All else are kept the same as when I print on the Ilford Classic Pearl paper). <br>

What am I doing wrong and how can I get a B&W print from the Ilford Gold Fibre Slk paper ? <br>

Thanks, Wee-Ming</p>

<p>I print on Epson, so I can't share any experience directly on Canon. However, the GFS paper is really very good at doing black and white - in fact, it is one of the major advantages of this wonderful paper.</p>

<p>This is not a camera AWB balance problem since you are getting good BW images from the printer using a different paper. It is also not likely a "use only Canon paper" issue since you are getting good results on another Ilford paper. This also likely rules out a color management setting issue in software. The most likely explanation, I would think, has something to do with the profile you are using not being quite right for your paper/printer combination.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>IF the paper has a lot of OBAs* and you view it under Fluorescent, a magenta cast isn’t out of the question. <br>

Do you see the cast in daylight? </p>

<p>*http://www.ppmag.com/reviews/200702_rodneycm.pdf</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)