<p>An HP technician told me recently that Windows 7 automatically calibrates my monitor every time the computer starts up and there is no need for additional calibration software like Spyder or Color Munki. Is this an accurate statement?</p>

<p>The HP Tech was only checking to ensure YOU were awake when he told you this fable.<br>

That's one of the best laughs I have ever had (but only since this morning when I read about someone ultra concerned about their paid photo shoots yet eschews the Raw format).</p>

<p>Windows 7? Oh, sure it does! It uses nano-cameras, genetically created from scraps of metal from within your computer, compiled using hidden Microsoft Borg-like code. These cameras measure colour reflected from your eyes, automatically taking into account micro variations in external light conditions, and create a DNA-based colour profile of your monitor which is only valid for YOUR eyes (as it's based on DNA coding). As you get older and part of your DNA starts degenerating, the nano-cameras compensate automatically and always produce a true output.</p>

<p>(oh, sorry, I thought we were trying to come up with the biggest obviously-false technology!)</p>

<p>hahahaha...;-))))</p>

• 5 weeks later...
<p>Ok so it's extremely clear that I need to buy monitor calibration software. I have the Hp 6214y tower and the HP 2009f monitor. Is there monitor-specific software I should be looking for or will something like Spyder3 Pro work no matter what?</p>