Vivitar 285 / 285hv Flash

doggiej

<p>Does anyone know what adapter cable works with the Vivitar 285/285HV flash. Ebay has many for the 283 flash but no one is sure if it works with 285. If anyone knows what the model is and perhaps wher I can purchase.</p>

<p>Thanks Frank</p>

<p>Both of these flashes can be set manually or with Auto functions but no TTL so you can use slaves (radio, flash & infrared) to trip them but are no TTL functions so they will not use any of the auto functions of the camera. The other thing to beware of is that if these are older flashes the voltage maybe to high for digital cameras if you use the hotshoe.</p>

<p>If you want to get it off camera as in on a light stand, probably better off just getting an enexpensive ebay trigger that uses the hotshoe mount (Cactus triggers I believe are popular). If you just need to get it on a bracket, then a cable is more along your line. I use mine off-camera on stands but went with cybersyncs.</p>

<p>To help in identifying the right cable, a SC-3; in raised printing on the back of the sensor socket it says "Vari sensor adapter for model 285". There are 5 pins around the circumference plus a center pin.</p>

<p>They do show up on ebay, the hard part is making sure its the right one, cause most sellers don't take good photos.<br>

320526868948 can't tell from the photo :( , the SC-2 is for the 283, it won't work either.</p>

<p>Nathan, the cable moves the sensor for the thyristor circuit off the flash and onto the camera, giving you more accurate auto flash exposures. It really helps when you put the flash shooting back into an umbrella and have the sensor on the camera or with a macro lens. Totally different than a sync cable, although it does include the wires for that as well.</p>

<p>Right, but was more talking about how to simply trigger the flash off-camera since I didn't see the OP ask to maintain auto functions. Plus not sure how far he is wanting to place his flash off-camera. I use Manual modes only on mine, so don't need the sensor cable, plus I much prefer working wireless than with cables. Just pointing out there are other options, but if he needs auto functions, then maybe he can find the SC cord on ebay or elsewhere.</p>

<p>The SC-3 will let you place the sensor in the camera hot shoe so it will face the subject no matter what you're doing with the flash (bouncing off the ceiling, putting it into an umbrella or softbox, etc) and it will also trigger the flash. But the cord is only about 5-6 feet long so it's only good for up to arm's length at best. Ok for mounting on a flash bracket or handholding the flash but not really long enough for putting the flash on a light stand unless you've got the camera on a tripod right next to it. If you only need to trigger the flash, a PC cable is the simplest solution. They are available in any length you want and make it easier to put the flash on a light stand that the SC-3. You can still use the flash on auto if it's facing the subject or you can use it on manual. Radio triggers give you even more flexibility but the good ones are expensive and the cheap ones have had mixed reviews on reliability.</p>