Changing the mount on a Nikon to Leica R?

<p>Hi,<br>

I have a Summilux-R 50 (e55) 3-cam lens that I would like to put on a Nikon F3, but do not want to alter the the lens itself. <br>

Is it possible to just change the mount on the Nikon F3? It's just lying around lately since I've been getting rid of my Nikon equipment in favor or the R-system...<br>

All the searches keep leading to leitax - converting the lens... but I want to convert/replace the mount on the Nikon.<br>

Thanks,<br>

David.</p>

<p>You could probably have somebody completely screw up the Nikon body by replacing the mount, remachining the camera body to adjust for the lens diameter and reduced flange distance, and of course you would not have auto diaphragm capabilities, and be out a lot of money to have this all done. Or you could pay a small sum to do the Leitax conversion (which is reversable). Seems like a no brainer to me.</p>

<p>Joël,<br>

The very reason I didn't want to modify the lens itself is because my primary body is an R8, I just wanted a second body to have the 50 'lux on it, while I keep the 80-200 f/4 on the R8 (for balancing, and since it's a ROM lens).<br>

Stephen, <br>

That's what I was asking... does anyone know of any places/people that can change the mount on the Nikon? Is it that expensive? Should I just look into getting an R4 or something?<br>

Tõnu,<br>

Yes I've seen that. 'Cept it doesn't really say whom I can turn to to have the mount changed.</p>

<p>Thanks for all your responses.</p>

<p>Get an R3 or something. They are cheap enough.</p>

<p>If you hate Nikons so much that you must take them apart, not minding the cost of full-aperture metering (some recent models don't even have stopped-down metering), etc, see this (which Stephen already mentioned): <a href="http://www.leitax.com/leica-lens-for-nikon-cameras.html">http://www.leitax.com/leica-lens-for-nikon-cameras.html</a></p>

<p>Thanks everyone. <br>

No, of course I do not hate the Nikon (well, considering that I'm selling it all off and mutilating the bodies, it might seem like it).<br>

I guess getting an R3-R7 is the easier choice...</p>

<p>If you really want to pursue this try calling Ken Ruth at Photography on Bald Mountain at 831-423-4465. He does all sorts of things for movie producers, professionals and amateurs. Not cheap, but often quite inventive. Yes, I used him one time for an unusual request - which worked out fine.</p>