Which type 35mm Summicron do I have?

<p>Hi Robert,<br>

I am no expert on the history of lenses, but I thought that the first lenses were made in Germany, followed by made in Canada.<br>

As in the case of other rare lenses, I will pretend that it is one of those ellusive screwmount lenses that were converted! The glass is very clean, but the lens has been well used, as you can see from the faded numbers on the aperture and distance ring.</p>

<p>Thanks for this great tip!</p>

<p>Raid</p>

<p>If it were a screwmount version, you would have a <strong>2'2" minimum distance</strong> (26") vs. your 28" indicated. Plus, the <strong>small set screw</strong> would be at the exactly 6 O'Clock position. (See Provided Picture)</p>

<p>Besides Raid, <em>you don't need no stinken ring...</em></p><div>00WNPv-241029884.JPG.65c70cadefecfa5d17ca1d439962029b.JPG</div>

<p>If I ever come across a stinking ring, I'll let you know, Raid. However, you might think about using a flat black paint stick from <a href="https://www.micro-tools.com/store/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=15102-F">Micro-Tools</a> to blacken that bright chrome retaining ring. <a href="http://www.micro-tools.de/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=Eng&Product_Code=15102-F&Category_Code=PAI">Micro-Tools in Europe</a>.</p>

<p>Now I see it: With all due respect, Gus, don't you mistake a M3-gogles-type for a real LTM?</p>

<p>Raid happily owns a regular M2-type Summicron, which focuses down to 0.7m, only the M3-type went down to 0.65m. Correct me if I stand wrong!<br>

<br /> Best wishes and good light!</p>

<p>One more thing, Raid: If you really want to see the quality of this lens, take this ol' filthry off and put a shade on, many are comparted with the old 50mm Summicron. And like Robert said, matte blackening the chrome face will help, too! (could be a fine shaped thin black cardboard ring for not to damage the lens!)<br /> <br /> Best,<br /> Knut</p>

<p>Hi Knut !<br /> No, it's definitely a "real" screw mount lens that fits & focuses on a LTM camera when the "googles are removed.</p>

<p>Just keep in mind the caveat: The infinity is accurate <strong>either way</strong>, but as you get closer <strong>without</strong> the "googles", the error progressively becomes greater.<br>

<em>i.e. A 10ft subject distance focuses at 8ft in the rangefinder, etc.</em></p><div>00WOlE-241865684.JPG.a1367d20a51bca256a0b66fd25cc0bda.JPG</div>

<p>Thanks for the comments. I am happy with the "non rare" M2 type Summicron, and I will blacken the chrome front, with the hope that one day I will find a front ring. I have many Leica lens hoods that fit this lens, and I always use a lens hood with my lenses.</p>

<p><However, you might think about using a flat black paint stick from <a rel="nofollow" href="https://www.micro-tools.com/store/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=15102-F">Micro-Tools</a> to blacken that bright chrome retaining ring. <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.micro-tools.de/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=Eng&Product_Code=15102-F&Category_Code=PAI" target="_blank">Micro-Tools in Europe</a>.></p>

<p>+1</p>

<p>I have used these sticks and they are great for improving the look of old lenses or touching up the paint on cameras, even an M. I used mine to repair when some silver insulating tape pulled off some paint when I removed it. I still cover up sometimes but now use cut paper over any painted areas and then tape over that.<br>

They supply the touch up sticks in different colours too so you can get a yellow and a red for those lens which need that.<br>

The sticks are quite easy to apply and you just gently wipe off excess to leave the grooved numbers or script refilled and looking so much nicer.</p>