signing work

<p>I am new to the forum and seeking advice. I am a fine artist - my background is in sculpture and mixed-media 2D work. In an upcoming art show, I am planning on showing some framed photos that I took recently. I am curious as to whether there is an "accepted practice" regarding the artist's signature on finished prints. I would always sign them on the back, in the unprinted margin area, but do collectors expect to see a visible signature? I prefer to mat my prints with no border, so signing on the blank margin of the paper is an option but of course that would be hidden by the mat. Is this one of those variable issues that is relative to the photographer and the collector? Any feedback would be appreciated, and thanks!</p>

<p>Paul,<br>

All of my portraits 11x14 and larger are hand signed. They are signed before I texture and spray them. I use a Windsor-Newton # 1 brush with Windsor-Newton Designer Guache water color. Just put a dab in a dish, let it dry, and dilute with a couple of drops of distilled water. Water color is great because it gives a bit of density on the print and if you screw up the signature, just let it dry, put distilled water on a cotton swab and lightly erase. I wait until the paper dries before attempting again. As with any technique, practice, practice, practice and then practice more. A lot of my clients like the fact their portrait has been signed by the artist. Happy signing.<br>

Warmest regards,<br>

David R. Lewis </p>