Camera bags - how many do you own / do you own way to many

tdigi

<p>I have never found a camera bag I truly like. I like the way Domke bags are built but they refuse to acknowledge that photograhers leave zoom lenses attached to their camera bodies. They are stuck in the 1970's with their internal design. Lowe Pro and Tamrac bags are laid out nicely but they go for style more than functionality. Mrock bags are well thought out but they suffer from some irritating quality short comings. Their zipper pulls come off and the bags tend to be overly heavy.</p>

<p>I like domke now too, but its annoying they have so few zippered pockets. Thinktank is my other fav but most of their bags feel like luggage. The lowepro just feel kinda cheap to me. I think I have tried about 10 bags in the past year. I do like the Domke F-5xc for my small set up but again the lack of zippered pockets is annoying, I lost my extra batteries last time I used it.</p>

<p>I've got 3 aluminum cases ('blad, Minolta 35mm, empty), one leather pro-bag (Super Graphic), one medium-sized cloth bag (wife's Minolta 35mm), one medium-sized leather bag (Olympus DSLR), one very small cloth bag (2 LF lenses on Super boards), one small vinyl bag (5 LF lenses on Super boards), one very large cloth gym-bag with zipper opening and home-made plywood dividers (Cambo monorail & accessories), two medium metal trunks (floods, stands, etc.), one Graflex case (strobes), and another Graflex case (Super Graphic when I need to carry more holders, etc., than will fit in pro-bag), and a fat leather briefcase (empty). That makes 14...and most of 'em full! :-) Darned good thing I don't like camera bags, ain't it?</p>

<p>Having been a working pro and now working for a company that creates these products, I get a unique exposure to this phenomena. Here are some perspectives I've noted:<br>

We each have fairly unique requirement and desires, so "perfect" has myriad appearances. What one photographer considers "perfect" might seem ridiculous to another.<br>

As creative individuals, many of us think we have a better solution. I can't tell you how many long conversations I've had at trade shows discussing "better" ideas. Most of these ideas are the perfect solution for one or a few individuals; not usually the masses of users percieved by these folks.<br>

Often, people want to combine all the features that they consider most useful into one carrying solution. Sometimes this leads to a case that compromises is several ways though it delivers what was requested. I find, more often than not, that several specific carrying solutions tailored to one or a couple of scenarios each, works better than seeking a single bag or pack to suit every situation.<br>

Those of us in the business of designing and selling these products are challenged to come up with solutions that meet the most popular needs while having a stylish appearance, meeting a target cost, and maintaining quality.<br>

Fortunately for all concerned, the cost of these different carrying solutions is usually resonable enough to allow us to try different ones and even update occasionally just for the sake of style.</p>

<p>Once upon a time I wanted a cargo case to carry my entire location kit. I ordered a 42" Lightware case from Calumet. Sure enough, it swallowed up my Gitzo tripod, 4 stands, two DynaLite 1000 power packs, four flash heads, and miscellaneous clips and cords. When I tried to pick it up I had a rude awakening. Only the assistance of a hand truck made it manageable. </p>

<p>Like everyone else here way too many. The one getting the most use is a Mountainsmith Traverse AT, which looks like its no longer made, although Amazon is still showing them. Holds an RB w/ lens and 7 II w/ the lenses off, filters, film, light meter and other miscellaneous photo toys. Handles a tripod well. Nice balance when strapped in. Sturdy top handle. Water bottle pockets are a tad small. Best feature is the solid flat rubber bottom. Tough & ready for New Mexico terrain. This has been my carry on air travel bag for the past year. I haven't found the end of its capacity yet.</p>

<p>Guilty as charged, and still looking. I have a small pile in the closet and play room, though I do use several regularly. Each has a specific purpose.</p>

<p>There's no such thing as the "perfect" camera bag. They are in the same category as shoes, which I have many, also.</p>

<p>I actually only have 2 that I actually use these days. Some years back, I got bursitis in my shoulders and could no longer carry shoulder bags, which began a search for viable waist bags. I still have 3 or 4 in a box in a closet, along with the photo backpack. Since getting the 2 Domkes (F3, F4AF) I've kind of lost interest in any other bags, they're that good.</p>

<p>I'm not counting bags for lighting equipment though.</p>

<p>HTML clipboard

<p >Tamrac rolling backpack 697 to carry as much equipment locally.</p>

<p >Tamrac backpack 787 to carry less equipment on back.</p>

<p >Think Tank Acceleration v2 since it fits on 737 sized jet.</p>

<p >Think Tank Antedote v2 since it fits on CRJ sized jet.</p>

<p >Lowepro Street & Field when I need a shoulder bag.</p>

<p >Each bag meets a different requirement depending on what I want to carry and where I want to go.</p>

<p > </p>

</p>

<p>After having gone thru close to a dozen bags, I'm trying to create the one bag that will serve all my needs. Somewhat in the spirit of <a href="http://www.onebag.com">OneBag.com</a>, I want to be able to travel as light as possible as my needs change over the course of a trip.</p>

<p>What I've come up with so far:</p>

<p>- <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/531360-REG/Lowepro_LP35193_PEU_Fastpack_200_Backpack_Red_Black_.html">LowePro FastPack 200</a>. Not LowePro's smallest FastPack, but one up from there. Big enough for a 5D with grip, three lenses, 10" netbook, and miscellaneous batteries, cards, etc. Easy side access unlike my Tenba Shootout backpack. This pack doesn't have a waist belt, so I've added...<br>

- A <a href="http://www.kgear.com/store/index.php/b/belts/b106.html">Kinesis modular belt</a>. This belt will accept either Kinesis or ThinkTank add-ons. To secure the belt to the bag but still have it be removable, I had a shoe repair place sew two lengths of 1-1/2" velcro to the bottom of the bag, then sew part of two lengths of matching velcro to the lower back of the bag, leaving enough free to engage the velcro on the bottom of the bag. The free velcro slides thru two attachment slots on the belt, then sticks to the velcro on the bottom of the bag.<br>

- I also had the shoe repair place sew some <a href="http://www.strapworks.com/product_p/p4way.htm">anchor points</a> onto the bag that let me use <a href="http://www.strapworks.com/product_p/vow.htm">Velcro One Wrap</a> to strap a tripod or other items to the bag. I didn't have them sew the anchors directly to the bag, but instead I had them sew each anchor to a short length of 2" nylon webbing, then sew just the ends of the webbing to the bag. This leaves a slot that will also accept the Kinesis or ThinkTank add-ons.</p>

<p>With this setup, I can carry just the bag, the bag plus the belt, the bag & belt plus items added to the bag and/or belt, or I can go really light and just take the belt with a couple of add-ons. </p>

<p>So far, I really, really like this approach. It's flexible enough to meet my needs now, plus, if I buy a monster lens that won't fit in the bag I can pretty much guarantee that Kinesis or Think Tank will have a modular case for it.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Guilty as charged...I lost track of how many I have at the moment. This is partially due to my ever increasing camera gear so what once used to hold what I needed no longer does. Also, most of my photography activities take place outdoors, not necessarily on easily walked trails. I used a variety of belt bags for a while, moved on to a backpack because I got tired of the beltpack hitting my thighs while hiking up hill and pulling on my lower back if I moved it to my back. While I liked the ease of lugging my gear in a backpack I missed the ease of access I had enjoyed with the belt packs and I didn't really think I'd like the vests. So, you guessed it...along came another review of what was available. My timing seemed to have been good for me at least because LowePro came out with the sling back bags which, to me, is the best of both worlds. I can carry it on my back with the hip/waist belt distributing the ever growing weight of my gear but it easily swings to the front to provide access to everything when I need it. I started with the Slingshot 200 AW and exchanged it to the 300 AW a couple of weeks later. I've had this bag since it first became available & am very happy with it. So far it accommodates my ever growing collection of camera gear, water & other personal items; it has travelled across the US , Europe & Mexico & looks brand new. I see that LowePro has added additional models...might have to take a look at them. On top of all that LowPro's customer service is absolutely great. I broke one of the buckles by closing the car door on it, asked how I could purchase a new one & a replacement showed up in the mail 2 days later, no charge to me.</p>

<p>Just wanted to put my two cents in...<br>

Kelly Moore actually just can out with a great new bag! Its a sling style thats mainly used for shoot purposes (not storage). Your lenses slide into pockets and are easily accessible for switching. Lots of other organization too, so go check it out!<br>

Also, check out the LOVE AFFAIR BLOG and enter to win a Kelly Moore Bag & a seat to their upcoming workshop in Dallas!! www.loveaffairworkshop.com</p>

<p>I'm surprised nobody here mentioned the Billinghams!</p>

<p>I too am one of those people who must have tried more than 20 bags in search of "the one!" Still haven't found what I'm looking for! I echo the sentiments of everyone here regarding most of the bags on the market today. Personally, after huge expense and massive trial-and-error, I think I may have gravitated to two bags - a Billingham for my everyday use and for all those trips where I do not expect to get involved in physical or athletic activities and a Tamrac backpack for all the others. I have configured both exactly as I want and simply move the camera and lenses accordingly.</p>

<p>I don't think you will EVER find a single bag to cover ALL cases. I read about a photographer who actually designs his own bags - that may be an idea. I did research the concept about a year ago and, for a bit, it seemed like THE solution - until I came to the subject of cost. It would cost almost twice as much as the most expensive bag out there and YOU would be responsible for any flaws... willing to take that risk?</p>

<p>Good luck with your search...;-)</p>