Will EOS 1v be the last film SLR?

number95

<p >Will Canon ever replace its legendary -and the only current film SLR- 1v or is this the last film camera from Canon?<br>

I also wonder how its AF competes with latest 1Ds and 1D models like 1d mark IV. Even if it has 45 AF points, it has been 10 years and the processing power and focus algorithms should have stepped up with recent digital 1 series models. Can anyone using both 1v and current 1d series comment on AF comparisons?</p>

<p >Any feedback or views related are welcome, thank you.</p>

<p>I apologize in advance, and I am not trying to troll here, but</p>

<p>This strikes me a little like hearing the obituary of someone you had assumed had been dead for years.</p>

<p>I do understand that Franco is still dead.</p>

<p> </p>

The last firm camera was the Elan 7N/E. The 1v was the last 1 series film camera. Although I have both the 1v and the 7NE, I have never used them to shoot sports. I think the processing power is mostly for the image processing, not for AF, on today's digital cameras. But I could be wrong.

Nobody's going to keep making film cameras for the simple love of it...except apparently Leica and Lomo. Canon and Nikon (Olympus, Pentax, etc) simply won't do it. They are huge corporations, of the type that will lay off your Father at age 60 because he makes too much money for his position, or your Mother at age 55 because she makes too many suggestions. They are no more inclined to attempt a reintroduction of 35mm film cameras than Ford is to reintroduce the Model T. You'll never see another new 35mm SLR, so buy them now while you can and make sure you have spares. All the same, I wish Nikon would roll out an F200.

<p>With digital you don't have people using the same body for 10 years. Most photographers will upgrade digital bodies at least every couple of years. That means more DSLR's sold, more money. Better business model. Why would Canon or Nikon put resources into a less profitable venture?</p>

<p>Martin your point is very well taken. Just thinking assuming still lot of photographers using film as a back up etc, in terms of a statement product defining the latest level of a company's refinement would also fit to your statement. I mean a film SLR with the latest AF algorithms and precision should also help Canon to prove a market leader in photography and support the sales of DSLRS even if they dont sell film SLR anymore. I know so many people buying Canon enty level DSLR just by looking at the pro Canon models for instance. Canon already has 1D series AF systems so fitting the recent one to 1v will not cause extra cost. I do however agree that instead dealing with it simply discontinuing the film line would be the better idea for Canon.</p>

<p>i picked up a like new 1vhs a couple years ago on ebay for a fraction of new. I occasionally will run tri-x throught it at sports, you can go throug a roll in like... 4 seconds! I use for snapshooting too in single shot mode, love the ergonomics, as well as my 1d digital. Sounds like you're thinking of picking one up.</p>

<p>I agree with Craig's analysis of the market for the big corporations. I believe that Canon hasn't made a film camera body for a while and are just selling off their stockpile, however I have no proof of that. B&H only has the 1V as a new Canon camera. Nikon however does seem to have more choices. And their film cameras do appear on their website last I looked.</p>

<p>I'd think that someone would have the idea that a fully manual EF lens accepting camera would draw in more students that are still required to have a fully manual camera. And that would create more of a customer base. Maybe times are just changing more than I can see though.</p>

<p ><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=706696">W T</a> <a href="../member-status-icons"></a>, Apr 23, 2010; 01:38 p.m.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>i picked up a like new 1vhs a couple years ago on ebay for a fraction of new. I occasionally will run tri-x throught it at sports, you can go throug a roll in like... 4 seconds! I use for snapshooting too in single shot mode, love the ergonomics, as well as my 1d digital. Sounds like you're thinking of picking one up.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes you are rite! Thinking of getting one, just for fun. I have a 5dmkII and a 40D btw :-)</p>

<p>Maybe the whole film industry will go to China. Kodak and Fuji will sell their film production department (cheap, I guess) to China. They will continue to make film and film cameras. I doubt that they can ever make such a good film camera like EOS-1v or Nikon F5, but they likely can apply new algorithms, new technology to metering and AF. I guess that will happen in a not very far future</p>

<p>So, go buy 1v, 3, F5, F100, F4 now when you still can buy them at a low price. Soon, people wont sell them anymore, not for a cheap price</p>

<p>I can't really comment as far as Canon goes, but the Nikon F6 is still in demand. Regardless of the doom and gloom nay-sayers who wrongly purport that film is deador on life support, it remains as <em>very viable </em>a photography resource. Film photography is <em>true photography </em>in my opinion, though your mileage may vary.</p>

<p>WT, do you also have EOS link software and the cable the connect 1v to the computer? I see that it is hard to find the cable in the second hand, even I checked ebay. It should be nice to attach exif even to film shots.</p>

<p>Scott, I agree to some extend with your opinion. Even in digital, we say FF or FX or medium format to express the sensor sizes, so even digital sensors have the same size and ratios of film, which means film virtually will not die! Some might argue the only reason for the same size sensors are due to lenses from film cameras to use with digital. Well, this also supports the argument that digital follows the film days to have its own standards. Having said, digital has its own merits to me, it is not only convinience or flexibilities but providing enormous opportunities which one can benefit. To me, these are both formats serving to photography in their own ways. I wish/hope there will always be film, film cameras, photographers who take film shots. </p>

<p>In answer to the AF performance question I find the 1V very close to the 1DIIN (The latest 1 series I have) but the 1DII has difinately been improved as it seems to be able to focus faster on low contrast subjects (like a white wall). The 1DIIN also has slightly more cross sensors I think (I could read the manual's but can't be bothered). </p>