concert photography

craveprints

<p>So I have been doing some work for a new local enterainment type guide to city night life here in Philadelphia. Its actually a perfect type of situation since I am very new to all of this stuff so I do it for free and I get to retain the rights to the photos for my own personal portfolios, I get to see my name in a magazine, and have something for my resume. That being said they asked me to shoot a fundraiser concert for the Ameican Cancer Society. I have never in my life shot a concert, other then point and shoots of shows my and I friends go to. Things I am afraid of: changing lighting in the stage area, as well as the fact that I only have 3 lenses to my name and I already know one is entirely useless. So I own a 28-135mm lens and a 50mm prime (both are canon and have a fast shutter speed), and I have an EOS 40D camera. So I am looking for ways to compensate for the changing light and the fact that my focal range is slightly limted (one of the things I read said a 70-200 zoom is a must, and I honestly can't afford to buy a new lens at the moment) An suggesions? ~chEERS!</p>

<p>Amanda, what type of concert is it? Lighting tends to be constant with classical and jazz concerts. If it's a rock concert with extensive lighting, just beware of overexposure under high contrast situations - use shutter priority (the lowest you can comfortably hand-hold without blur) and metering the brightest spot usually works as often musicians are reasonably well lit. </p>

<p>As for lens-reach, your existing zoom may be adequate if you have unrestricted access. High zoom isn't necessarily a "must" unless access is limited as it offers more flexibility in composition and framing. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Amanda, as Michael noted, your 28-135 zoom should be adequate as long as you're not trying to shoot all the shots from your seat in the balcony; present yourself to the concert organizers well prior to the concert and establish that you are shooting for "X" Magazine (have documentation, a press-ID or a letter from the publisher on magazine letterhead introducing you) and tell them that you will be moving around, up and down the isles, across the front, backstage, etc. The point is to get as unlimited access as possible so that you can shoot from wherever you need to. Also, as mentioned, know what the slowest shutter speed you can use hand-held is and stick to that...a monopod can help a lot, too. You might want to shoot some with a fairly strong off-camera strobe, either hot-shoe mounted or, preferably, mounted on a grip off to the left and above the camera, but if you do this, make sure you're familiar with shooting with the strobe...don't let the concert be your first try with a new strobe!</p>

<p>Good luck and have fun!</p>

<p>What's the lighting, where are you shooting from, what restrictions are they on you? These really impact what you need and how you shoot. Nobody can know whether your kit is right without more information.</p>

<p>BTW, most venues can hook you up with the lighting person who can give you some idea of what you will encounter. Also, if you have access everywhere, going a day or two in advance can give you some idea of what you require.</p>

<p>Seems to me Like you will probably have anything you need on Hand - I shoot concerts with poor lighting for fun every week and I've found that my 50mm prime is more than sufficient IF I can get close - otherwise take a TON of shots with the zoom and hope for a few that aren't blurry.<br>

Just don't be afraid to get up close and get those shots at 1.4 or 1.8 aperture. If it's rock-concert style gel lighting the lights look great in Bokeh - and you can really get some cool angles.</p>

<p>I shot a big rock concert for the first time a few months ago. I was able to shoot from in front of the stage, between the crowd and the band. I tried to make some shots with my 18-200mm which I immediately realised was useless (and probably should have earlier), but from this spot my 50mm 1.4 did the trick very nicely, went right down to the 1.4 and got a whole bunch of nice shots. I would have been lost without it actually. </p>

<p>I've shot a number of concerts and have often found that a combination of high ISO, a fast zoom lens (I have the 70-200 f/2.8) and correct light metering has always been sufficient and produced amazing images (you can check them on my site, under Other Photography).</p>

<p>Set your camera to spot-meter using the center of the sensor, set the same narrow focus point, and raise your ISO until you're getting anything over 125 in speed. Most of the time, artists are lit very well (even when they're lit only by a single spotlight on their face or instrument) and focusing and metering off them will give you good results!</p>