Can I use any kind of vinyl for backdrop?

anne_paula

<p>Hi there!</p>

<p>I've been photographing for 1 year only, did couple of courses, and now I'm starting to work as photographer.<br>

I'm building my studio, and I've been looking for backdrops these days, and as I live in Albania, I can't find this kind of equipment here.<br>

I'd like to use the paper backdrop, but it would be very difficult for me, so I decided to get black velvet, and white vinyl to start.<br>

I found white vinyl in a shop, I think people use this kind of vinyl for tables, curtains, etc. But I don't know if it would be the same as the vinyl backdrops that you buy in the photography shops.</p>

<p>Does anybody know anything about it? <br>

I probably can get it sent here from somewhere else, but it is quit heavy, and consequently it would be expensive. I'd rather get the one that is available here of course. </p>

<p>Thank you very much for helping!</p>

<p>=D</p>

<p>Most backdgrop material is either paper or muslin, which I believe would be quite a bit lighter than vinyl. Not to say you 'couldn't' use vinyl, it would probably work, but will probably be more reflective than muslin or paper. Do you have a way to hang it? You can also find folding backdrops that have a steel hoop inside, and can be leaned against a wall or hung from a light stand. Lots of options if you look at online retailers, though not sure about shipping to your area.</p>

<p>Thank you Nathan!<br>

I already have the stands for the backdrop, I've been researching about the backdrops for a while, and didn't read very good reviews about the muslin for white backdrop... So, if I can't use the paper one, I'd like to use the vinyl, since it had very good reviews, specially for high key effect.<br>

Ill keep looking online, I've been looking in the UK because I use to live there, but I'll try somewhere near by, maybe Italy or Greece, it would be cheaper to send it here I guess.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>=D</p>

<p>Fabric is probably easier to use than vinyl, but you can use just about any material you like. They keys are that it be far enough behind the subject to be out of focus in order to minimize wrinkles and imperfections, and that you control the way the light hits it, such as avoiding glare off a shiny surface like vinyl. Light also controls the brightness and color of a background -- white can be anything from pure white to nearly black, and you can color it with gels on your background lights if you want. Lots of photographers go the extreme of black or white backgrounds when they are starting off, and so did I. But other colors are much easier to work with and more traditional for portraits, if that's what you're shooting. Various shades of gray and blue are popular, also earth tones like variations on brown. Don't worry about getting fabric to lay perfectly flat or be wrinkle free. You can even drape it with arches and curves in the fabric to make it more interesting.</p>

<p>Hi Devon<br>

I tried to shoot with white sheet and I didn't like the results. But I had my subject a meter away from the background. I've been researching after that experience, and my conclusion is that I should have positioned the subject further away from the background. <br>

Paper backdrops... I wish I could use it, but it would be very expensive to ship it here. And it gets dirty, crumpled... So I'd have to replace it every once in a while...<br>

Thanks Devon!</p>

<p>=)</p>

<p>You're welcome! I kind of thought the shipping on paper rolls might be expensive. Having your subject farther away from the backdrop can help alot. Also, if by chance you're finding that a white sheet is too thin and showing any shadows or light from behind, you can always sandwich two together.</p>