D700 AF and Lens Question...

wmc718

I'm thinking of purchasing a D700. One thing I insist on is excellent AF auto. face detection, as I don't usually like

the results of recomposing - especially hand held. Is there a way to set the camera so it will automatically detect

faces in a scene? Also, what do you recommend for a good, fast lens to encompass both portraits (head shots to

full lengths) and landscapes? Thanks for your suggestions!

<p>Nikon's Multi-CAM 3500 AF module actually has some crude face-detection capability. I have tested that a bit and it kind of works, but I would imagine that most users of that class of cameras (D3, D700, D300 family) would not use such feature.</p>

<P>

Face detection is availabe under the Auto Area AF mode and the lens must be a D type AF lens, including all AF-S lenses and G lenses.

</P>

<p>Shun is right, page 74 of the manual. Personally I have never noticed my focus system working in that manner whereas the g10 picks up faces right away, even in posters that may be in the viewfinder. I would not rely on the d700 if you are looking for this feature.</p>

<p>I think it's a bit short to say 'face detection' and 'pro camera' do not mix. OP wants excellent AF. Well, admittedly, currently, AF of the D700 is still one of the best in the industry. Yeah, it will not specifically focus on faces, but you could also just use one of the off-centre AF points, to avoid having to recompose. It does have those 51 points for a reason, focus-and-recompose should not be necessary all that often.<br>

That's how I at least solve that with my D300 :-)</p>

<p>For the lens question, depending on budget I'd say 85 f/1.8 or 85 f/1.4. For full length and landscapes, 24-70 f/2.8 will do all that quite nicely.<br>

If the 24-70 does not fit the budget, then I think you're spending too much to get a FX body and too little on lenses, and you should really consider going DX and spending more in lenses.<br>

(but OK, for completeness sake: one could replace the 24-70 with a 24mm and 35mm prime, I guess)</p>

<p>Wouter, the disconnect is at a more basic level. We know that the camera is capable of adjustment of the focus points, what we do not know is whether the user chooses to use this capability or prefers the greater simplicity of a point and shoot that does it automatically. Not everyone wants to use the capability of a complex camera system. Look at all the people who use high end DSLR's as glorified point and shoots. I have nothing against people who own a D700 and shoot jpg's with the camera set to program and never adjust any of the settings. They are simply not using the camera's capability. Most of us use only a small fraction of our brain's capacity as well.<br>

Eric</p>

<p>Mark C -- I just upgraded from a D90 to a D300s due to the AF system, HOWEVER I did it for <em><strong>FASTER</strong></em> AF for sports. The D300s and D700 share the same AF system.</p>

<p>That being said, I don't think you need an "excellent" AF system for either portraits or landscapes...after all, they're just sitting there...not moving. AF is so important for landscapes and portraits that you will find more photographers<em><strong> manually focusing</strong></em> when shooting these types of subjects than any other type of photography.</p>

<p>If you want Face Detection, you need a point and shoot. When you focus for portraits, you don't focus on the face, you focus on the EYES due to DOF issues when focusing on different parts of the face. One of the issues with "FACE DETECTION" software is that the imaging sensor in a DSLR doesn't actually "see" the scene until you press the shutter release...or use Live View. On a P&S, the imaging sensor is always "seeing" the scene.</p>

<p>Look at a Canon G10 or G11 for a good quality P&S with decent AF and face detection.</p>

<p>If your heart is set on a DSLR then go get a D90 and use "Portrait" and "Landscape" modes until you are comfortable with the way the AF systems work in DSLRs. Work with the kit lens and when you feel that it is holding you back move up to a 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DX for landscapes and either a 50mm f/1.4 or 85mm f/1.4 for portraits. Only when you are comfortable with the A,S,P, and M modes on the D90 and feel that the body is the only thing that is holding you back should you move up to a "pro-sumer" DSLR like the D300s or D700.</p>

<p>Hope this helps<br>

RS</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>what we do not know is whether the user chooses to use this capability or prefers the greater simplicity of a point and shoot that does it automatically</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>This was my point exactly - we do not know, so the assumption "go back to P&S land" was what I reacted upon. I do not disagree with you, and personally I'll never recommend D300 and D700 as starter DSLRs. However, according to his profile, OP has some experience with decent camera systems, so I won't make too much assumptions about the experience. Maybe it was just unfortunately phrased.</p>

<p><em>P.S. - In line of what you say, not so much high end DSLRs being used as P&S with some mediocre 13x zoom lens, but the "must have full frame" also gives me shivers.... but people should do with their money what they want, and I'll do the same with mine :-)</em></p>

Thank you all for your input. Gary Woodward, get your nose out of the air! Why do you assume I’m a P&S photographer? That’s just bit condescending! I’ve been shooting for 25 years and during the film days owned and operated my own studio.

I’ve already owned DSLRs along with a Lumix m4/3s G1! I asked this question only because I have never had the pleasure of having a D700 (or any other Nikon DSLR for that matter) in my hand, and wasn’t sure how the mechanics of the 51-point AF worked. Should take the time and drop by the camera store, I guess.

When I say Face Detection, it doesn’t have to be literal Face Detection per se’. As long as one can easily turn a wheel to focus whatever part of the subject (such as the eyes) he wants, that’s fine. Mark S, you kind of touched on it. Exactly what are the “excellent auto-focus capabilities of the D700” that you mention? Can you do with it what I just asked, without removing the camera from your face (if you’re using the VF)?

Wouter Willemse, you are correct sir… I believe we will see Auto-Face-Detection capabilities become more prevalent on all cameras – including all pro DSLRs. Anything to make things easier. I personally don’t like the focus and recompose method (even with a tripod), because if you’re using a shallow DOF, you can lose the eye and face focusing pretty easily--especially noticable when you print enalargments.

Thank you all too, for your input on lenses.

<p>Michael C-- <br>

First of all, if I came across as condescending, I apologize. It was not intended to be that way...just informative.<br>

All current Nikon DSLRs allow you to choose your focus point by using the selector on the back of the camera.<br>

<a href="http://www.d300s.com/nikon/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/d300s-vs-d300-back.jpg">Back of Nikon D300 and D300s</a><br>

Here are examples of the Nikon viewfinders and focusing systems:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D90/D90VIEWFINDER.HTM?r=44323719">Nikon D5000/D90 Viewfinder and Focus Points</a><br>

<a href="http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D300/D300VIEWFINDER.HTM?r=44323719">Nikon D300/300s/700 Viewfinder and Focus Points</a></p>

<p>Hopefully this helps you visualize how you would compose in frame. I suggest the following:</p>

<p>Compose, then select your focus point, focus, shoot. This will keep your DOF and focus where you expect it to be.</p>

<p>Hope this helps.<br>

RS</p>

<p>I think you would be better off with a P&S if those are your requirements, as you would be wasting your time with a D700. The D700 is a <em>professional grade</em> camera. The assumption with a camera of that stature is that the photographer would be more involved in the making of the image, rather than using it as a very expensive P&S.</p>

<p>Richard Snow, no, you didn't come off as condescending... no apology necessary. Your last sentence answered my question... it can be done. Thank you.<br>

And Scott Murphy, the D700 is a professional grade camera?! Really?! It's a good thing that folks like Gary Woodard and yourself are here to keep stupid people like me in line!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Exactly what are the “excellent auto-focus capabilities of the D700” that you mention?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It can track the progress of moving subjects and adjust the focus in real time to keep them in focus.</p>

<p>It can focus in relatively dark conditions.</p>

<p>It can focus decide which object is closest to the camera and focus on that one automatically.</p>

<p>And for landscape work, you can turn off autofocus altogether and focus in Live View for very accurate results.</p>

<p>A fast lens for both portraits and landscapes? The 70-200 f/2.8 VR is a versatile lens, but it's telephoto only. You might want to consider added a second wide-angle lens for landscape work.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I personally don’t like the focus and recompose method</p>

</blockquote>

<p>me either. To me, this method may not give an accurate result. Choose the AF point would take a long time. 'Face detection' (if exists) would not work because I may want to focus on a nose, a flower, or a butt (instead of a face). My solution is so simple and cheap. Even with a cheap D1x and a cheap AI 50mm 1.4, manual focusing will do</p>