Other options besides Zenfolio

<p>

<p >Hi folks,</p>

<p >I’m about to do my first big photo shoot/fundraiser for a local preschool. Originally, I had planned to do all the print orders myself, however, after coming across Zenfolio, I’m thinking about setting up an account, with the expectation that it will make life for me a lot easier. I’ll potentially have over 100 orders. I like the fact that Zenfolio partners with Mpix and that I can offer more than just prints to potential customers, not to mention not having to do all the orders myself. </p>

<p >My question is: what other services similar to Zenfolio should I be looking at before deciding. </p>

<p >Photography is very much a hobby for me, but in the next few years I’m planning on investing more time and money into promoting my business. I would love to have the option of providing password protected galleries linked to an online printing service. I don’t think Zenfolio offers that, but I might have missed it when I was reviewing their site.</p>

<p >Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.</p>

</p>

<p>Alex, I'm fairly certain (but not 100% positive) that zenfolio provides password-protected galleries (that are, in turn, linked to Mpix). It's very convenient for you and your prospective customers.</p>

<p>I put together a <a href="http://www.mdelrossi.zenfolio.com">Zenfolio site</a> to mimic my <a href="http://www.delrossiphotography.com">Photofolio site</a>, and to offer prints to a few clients.<br>

One thing I found was that even though Zen is flash based the sites are able to be viewed on a iPhone/iPad pretty much like a regular web browser with the plugin.<br>

Zen is also constantly adding new features and options.<br>

good luck.<br>

mdr</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I am a Zenfolio customer and I can tell you that password protected galleries are possible and very easy to do. They offer a great interface and the integration with Mpix is excellent. The customer experience is excellent too. Thats the good.<br>

the bad - they have their own way of thinking and I find myself constantly trying to figure out how I change something.<br>

the ugly - uploads. You have two basic choices - the Java based upload and Lightroom uploader. Both have issues. I have been trying to upload about 2000 images from a marathon. It is an exercise in frustration. 25% "lost" their file names in upload meaning I have to go back in and figure out the runners number. Both uploaders are dirt slow compared to FTP or even flickr uploadr. The Lightroom plugin makes you dump everything into one folder and then sort it out from the web interface. For the Java uploader, you can only put files into one directory per session. If you want to do multiple uploads to multiple directories, you have to open a lot of windows/tabs. If the Lightroom uploader encounters and error, it locks up lightroom while it waits to clear the error so forget about trying to do any editing while you are uploading. <br>

The uploading issues are really the only serious issue I have with Zenfolio but it is almost a deal breaker for me. Despite the serious difference in cost, I am close to moving to Photoshealter when my year with Zen expires. http://www.photoshelter.com/index <br>

Photoshelter has its own issues. The cost is $329 for the "standard" package - the bare minimum in my opinion. Storage is limited to 35GB and bandwidth to 50GB a month.<br>

On the positive side is FTP access, fotoQuote service and 10% fee vs 12% for Zenfolio.<br>

My 2000 images took about 15 hours to upload to my personal site. It took 5 hours to upload just 150 with the Java uploader and I still have to pick though and rename. If Zenfolio offered FTP I would pay for the next 10 years in advance. The experiences for buyers is excellent but if I cant get my images in front of those buyers, it doesnt matter. </p>