50d vs 7d?

jennifer_bishop2

<p>i had no idea which forum to post this in. i'm a photography student looking to invest in a new camera, and currently have a canon xsi. my original plan was to invest in a 50d with a good lens, but now i'm not sure, and am starting to lean towards the 7d. i've been hearing a lot of mixed reviews of the 50d, a lot complaining about stuff involving the focus and noise. i've had my heart set on the 50d for a while now, but now am undecided. i'm starting to get the gist that the 50d a bridge between prosumer and professional.<br>

i guess i just need a little help deciding.<br>

<br /><br /></p>

<p>The first thing I would suggest is ignore what you have heard/read on the Interent.<br>

Either camera is an excellent addition to your gear. I have the 7D and got because of the new AF and minor weather sealing and the fact I can now control flash via the camera body. I have also started to play around more with the video and can see how its another tool that can be used when needed.<br>

When I made the choice between the 2 bodies.. I created a list of pros and cons, and made my choice via the features I knew that I would use.. Price was a major con for me. In the end the extended features of the 7D won out and I haven't regretted my choice once.<br>

The 50D is also a excellent camera, I don't think you can go wrong with either camera body.<br>

Purchase the one with the feature set that most suits your current needs.</p>

<p>I can write with a total lack of prejudice since I have neither of these cameras (by rocking chair across the camera world: ignorance is just another form of not having a bias).</p>

<p>Nonetheless, I can say something about the "principles" of the two cameras. Both, as you know, are APS-C bodies. So there is no worrying about whether EF-S lenses will work or not.</p>

<p>However, the 7D is a new class of APS-C camera. It has many top-end features and improvements like better weather sealing, and so on. Besides, it is also a "newer" camera--I would not be surprised to see something like a "60D" in the near future.<br>

The 50D is exactly as you say, but the 7D is farther along the "bridge" toward professional than the 50D or whatever its replacement will be.</p>

<p>The scratch nails on the chalkboard about noise and the like on the 50D are typical of <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme">viral memes</a>, {beware: awkward phrasing coming} about which it is as well to not worry too much.</p>

<p>my budget is around $2,000, but am willing to spend more, it would just take me a little longer to save up for it. i don't want to spend over about $3,000 including lens. and as i said, i'm still a student, so i would be doing a wide range of different things with it, but i specifically prefer working in a studio, and i like scenes that are outside with people, not specifically landscapes though, more along the lines of a city type enviornment, since i live close to NYC i go there to shoot often.<br>

it recently crossed my mind to get a refurbished 7d, but i've never purchased refurbished equipment before.</p>

<p>Most of the criticism the 50D received is due to the fact that people did not feel it was enough of an upgrade compared to the 40D. I have got an 40D and think it is great. The 50D is certainly at least as good in any aspect.<br>

If you do not expect to need weather sealing or the new autofocus system of the 7D, you might want to save the money. There are many more improvements (like better high ISO noise performance and 100 % viewfinder), but only you can decide if they are worth your money.<br>

I like the reviews at <a href="http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-Digital-SLR-Camera-Reviews.aspx">The Digital Picture</a>. The 7D review compares many features of the two cameras.</p>

<p>I hate to muddy up the water even more but with your budget I would get a 5D Mark II. Just the DOF of a full frame is worth the investment. Make no mistake I have a 7D too but when the speed is not needed I grab my full frame over and crop body. Like I said the 7D is a great camera and looking at files side by side with my full frame, I CAN tell the difference. My clients on the other hand can't. Final answer...Full frame. v/r Buffdr</p>

<p>I think you should slightly rephrase the question: should you invest in a 7D, or a 50D with an additional $500 in photo gear. E.g., you could buy a 50D with a good flash, or Canon's superb 60 mm macro lens, or one of the good Tamron standard zooms, and have a little cash to spare compared to what the 7D costs. People tend to answer questions like yours as if there is no opportunity cost to spending more on one piece of your kit. There is, even if you are committed to spending all of it on photo gear.</p>

<p>I don't have a 7D--they came out after I bought a 50D. Whether it would be worth foregoing $500 in other gear depends on what you do. The big plus of a 7D for me would be somewhat better high-ISO noise performance. (the tests I have seen suggest an appreciable difference, but not the huge difference some posters have written about.) I have no interest in the video, and not much interest in the better AF. All of that is because of what I shoot. For most of what I shoot, you would not see a difference based on which of the two I used. However, you would see a difference if I had to give up the other stuff, like a flash, a tripod, other lenses, etc. Whether the calculation would be the same for you depends on what you will shoot.</p>

<p>Any other day I would agree with Buffdr 100%, However, in this case with a young lady still in school embarking on a career I would suggest the old adage cheap body, expensive glass. The xsi is a good body, both of my daughters shoot the xsi. FWIW I would suggest that Jennifer, go with good glass and good studio lighting since her statement and great photos in her bio would indicate that is where her career will start. </p>

<p>For Harry, find something else to do with your time besides counting posts. A young lady could use your expertise in photography and not your criticism of what she posts. You don't like the post, don't open them.<br>

Sorry guys and girls, the old father of two daughters in me comes out sometimes.</p>

<p>Any other day I would agree with Buffdr 100%, However, in this case with a young lady still in school embarking on a career I would suggest the old adage cheap body, expensive glass. The xsi is a good body, both of my daughters shoot the xsi. FWIW I would suggest that Jennifer, go with good glass and good studio lighting since her statement and great photos in her bio would indicate that is where her career will start. </p>

<p>For Harry, find something else to do with your time besides counting posts. A young lady could use your expertise in photography and not your criticism of what she posts. You don't like the post, don't open them.<br>

Sorry guys and girls, the old father of two daughters in me comes out sometimes.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>However, in this case with a young lady still in school embarking on a career I would suggest the old adage cheap body, expensive glass.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's what I am thinking, too. The best "bargain" is a second-hand EOS 40D at the moment, which pretty much can do all the things the later cameras can do in most situations. If, not when, you <em>really, really, really</em> have a need for a professional-grade body because otherwise you just cannot take the shots, only then buy a 7D or 5D-II. Or if you don't need all the latest features but love a big viewfinder and all its other advantages, get a used EOS 5D full-frame camera.</p>

<p>And by the way, camera bodies are poor investments. They lose their value extremely quick and usually wear out after a couple of years if your an avid photographer. Buy good lenses, they will last you a long time (especially if you have them checked and recalibrated every few years). And don't forget a flash unit!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>one of the main reasons i wanted a new body was because i needed a sync terminal for the studio lights.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Uh, I am sure that all *0D bodies have a PC connector. Even the old EOS 10D has one. And I guess you can easily sync studio lights with Rebel cameras via a cheap PC-hotshoe adapter.</p>

<p >Hi,</p>

<p ><br />strangely enough if you look at the overall quality of the images and Signal To Noise Ratio, Tonal Range, and Color sensitivity:<br /><a href="http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Image-Quality-Database/Compare-cameras/(appareil1)/329%7C0/(appareil2)/267%7C0/(appareil3)/178%7C0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Canon/(brand2)/Canon/(brand3)/Canon" target="_blank">http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Image-Quality-Database/Compare-cameras/(appareil1)/329%7C0/(appareil2)/267%7C0/(appareil3)/178%7C0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Canon/(brand2)/Canon/(brand3)/Canon</a><br />you will see that 20D is the best camera, followed by 40D, then by 50D then the newest 7D takes last place :-)</p>

<p ><br />The reason is simple 20D Pixel pitch size is 6.3 µm, 50D is 4.7 µm and 7D is 4.3 µm. The camera with fewer but bigger pixels will capture a greater tonal range, and will produce a better image. So get 20D I would say ;-)<br /><a href="http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/does.pixel.size.matter/" target="_blank">http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/does.pixel.size.matter/</a></p>

<p >Any camera you get after 20D is good enough, concentrate on the lens more, here is some must to have beginner lens (obviously L ones are the best but the value for money is just ridiculous for me, unless you are pro and make money out of it):</p>

<p >1. Nice 20D body from ebay: 200 pounds.</p>

<p >2. Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens – 80 pounds new from Amazon. No point to search second hand for this one, ebay prices are sometimes bigger the new ones, that speaks volumes about this lens.</p>

<p >3. Canon EFS 17-85mm Ultrasonic Image Stabilizer – 200 pounds.</p>

<p >4. Canon EF 100-300mm F/4.5-5.6 f4.5-5.6 USM – new from ebay 200 pounds. <br />Or Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Image Stabilizer USM Lens good second hand from ebay 300 pounds.</p>

<p >5. CANON EF-S 10-22mm USM LENS WIDE ANGLE - new from ebay 550 pounds (good second hand ones are about 500 so better get new one)</p>

<p >Total: 1330 pounds</p>

<p >For 1100 pounds you get 7D body only. I rest my case.</p>

<p >Cheers</p>

<p >Valko</p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p ><br /> </p>

<p > </p>

<p>I have said it before and say it again: Stay away from entry-level cameras if you want to learn photography. Due to the poor user interface changing important setting takes too much time and is too counter-intuitive. A "prosumer" camera with a thumb wheel and an overall higher build quality will make a real difference, I think.</p>

<p>Jennifer IMHO the 7D is a far better camera, I have had my copy of the 7D for nine days now and it is a fantastic camera, as I own both the 50D & the 7D I can truthfully say they are both great cameras. You won't be disappointed on your choice of either one.<br /> Bob</p>

<p>FWIW, although I don't have the 50D or 7D, I <em>do</em> have a 20D (which is nice, but I wouldn't be too dazzled by Valko's post), a "Rebel" XTi (xxxD), as well as a 5D.<br>

I fully concur with Bueh on the greater desirability of the two-wheel, top-display cameras like the 50D or 7D (or 5D. for that matter).</p>

<p>You really need to be sure what you are looking for and what type of shots you take. I have the 5DII, 7D and 1DIIN (but not the 50D). Camera bodies have different attributes but fundamentally they achieve the same thing. Assuming that you do not need / cannot afford or have EF-S lenses then either of these two APS-C bodeis will work. The advantages of the 7D are it's very fast AF and frame rate which is really only useful if you shoot sports. Similarly the wireless flash or bigger brighter viewfinder of the 7D may appeal. I suspect that it's high ISO performance is better than the 50D. Thus it really depends on what you shoot. If you only need ISO 100 and do not shoot a lot of sports then the 50D or even 40D may be the way to go. With camera bodies (especially digital) lenses offer a better investment than bodies as they last longer (bodies become obsolete) and hold their value much better.</p>

<p>every post i read raises a really good point.<br>

i want to go for the 50d, i think i'd be happier with it than the camera i have now, and with the fact that i'd be able to have some extra money for other things that i need, like a lens, which i wouldn't be able to get with the 7d. <br>

i feel like it's a good middle ground for where i am currently with my photography, a student. <br>

i still really don't know what lenses i'm going to end up getting, but i think i'll ask my professors to help me with that question. <br>

thank you everyone, this really did help me out a lot. </p>

<p>Jennifer:<br>

I was in the exact position You are in Now! I went from Point and Shoot Hybrids to the Canon xsi and then was questioning the next step. The 1ds were overkill for me, not that I may not make that my next step, but for present and what I do I do not need something so large!<br>

I spent 3 months searching reviews(un-partial) ofcourse and doing research on the 5dmkii and the 7d!<br>

I have to say very clearly!, the 7d won out easily! Being a New System and with all the new innovations Canon has put into this Camera, the limitations are only because of the Photographer!<br>

This 7d System has more options and settings than any other DSLR on the market at time of release!<br>

Canon could easily make this the TOP aps-c sensoron stating so Camera for many years to come. With the firmware updates we 7d owners are waiting for come along, You could easily see some increases in Video Recording times, Fimrware Version1.2.1 has already done this and I have the e-mal message from Canon stating so!<br>

Other that the Crop sensor of the 7d, most other aspects of function can be controlled by Firmware/Software updates. 7d Owners need to contact Canon and request fine tunning of the Firmware/Softwaare! Canon listened and deleloped the 7d and it is my hope that they will continue to improve the 7d.<br>

Since I purchased this 7d, I have purchased 2 L Series Lens and nunerous other Lens and Filters! I am very sorry I didnt decide to purchase this 7d sooner. Good Luck in Your choice and I hope You are Happy with Your Decision!</p>

<p>The 7D winning out clearly over the 5D Mk ii? That's opening a Pandora's Box for sure.<br>

I for one started with a Rebel and quickly dumped that for a 50D. A week after I got the 50D they released the 7D. At first I was kicking myself but I soon got over it. The savings allowed for more gear and a sooner jump the the 5D Mkii. The 5D and 7D are two different cameras with different end uses. The 7D moves you closer to sports photography and the 5D is the go to portrait/wedding/landscape body. Until you're sure about what you want to do, go with the 50D as it places you solidly between the 7D and 5D (although, honestly, it sounds like the 5D will be your destination).<br>

I'll also echo the earlier comment that the prosumer body will help you to learn the ins and outs of the camera system you'll end up using in the future. When I first started using the 50D and still had the Rebel around I found myself making all kinds of mistakes when I went back to the Rebel. The layout just doesn't make any sense after you use a prosumer body.<br>

Also, avoid the kit lens that comes with the 50D. It's really a sad piece of glass. It looks impressive, with the shear size of it, but once you get another lens you'll never put it back on your camera. Get the body only which I think can be had for about 900 new, and invest the rest of your money in good lenses. If you get the kit lens you'll just end up selling it anyway.</p>