Sanity check: lightweight universal Nikon body

Andrew Garrard

<p>The N80 with a AF 35 or 50 is the best lightweight, walk around, automated film SLR on the planet. Sure the F100 is a bit quicker but you pay for that in size and weight. The N80 is very quiet and can be had in like new condition for $100 or less. I wouldn't go with a lesser model. Those two control wheels on the N80 come in handy.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Does anyone use the Novoflex Nikon lens to micro 4/3 adaptor?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If you go to a m4/3 forum and do a search and will know that this has been discussed a million times. There are many much much cheaper adapters on e Bay that can control the G lenses for as little as $50.</p>

<p>To me, the F75/N75 has a fatal flaw that I have mentioned a few times: no manual file speed setting. If DX decoding is wrong or you need to push process a roll by a couple of stops, it will be a major pain. You can set exposure compensation, but you'll need to set that back when you process your next roll normally. The chance is that you will forget and mess up some day.</p>

<p>The N8008 cannot AF with AF-S lenses and the N90 has no sub-command dial and is not compatible with VR.</p>

<p>Personally, I think the F100, D300, and D700 are light enough for me. If those are too heavy for you, you'll have to make some fairly major compromises and give up some features.</p>

<p>Now that I've read a bit about the N75, I still feel that the N80 is a better lightweight alternative to your bigger Nikons, just because of the two-knob user interface. Yes, it's a few ounces more, but having your fingers accustomed to just one way of controlling aperture and shutter speed may make a difference between getting the shot or not.</p>

<p>The FE/FE2 are nice. Their main disadvantage IMO is that viewfinder information (aperture, shutter spead) isn't as easy to read as with modern film and digital SLRs, same goes for the industrial grade knobs... as indestructible as they may be, they are also difficult to read in dim light.<br>

If you're only planning to shoot (only) in daylight, the FE2 is fine, for any dim lighting scenarios, modern SLRs are far easier to use.<br>

What's left? I guess N80 (an inexpensive and compact full frame), or D5000 (smaller image circule, but has all the digital adventages).</p>

<p>Another vote for the F80/N80. I have this body and a D700 and love them both. Just took the F80 out, with 50mm prime, and after hefting the D700 with a telephoto zoom it seemed light as a feather!</p>

<p>As it happens, I came to Nikon a few years ago and have never got into AI or AIS lenses, so I don't have the metering problem, but you now have a good excuse to get a decent external lightmeter (if you don't have one already).</p>

<p>Thanks again, everyone. The N80/F80 has such resounding support that I'll definitely try to have a play with one before shopping. If anything, the most interesting thing to me about this thread is that I'd no idea the N80/F80 was so popular.<br ./>

<br/>

Shun: I spotted your concerns about film speed in another thread; I have to say that I've never needed to push film, and rarely needed to set the film speed explicitly (I think I may have had to for HIE, but since I couldn't get any more if I wanted to and it would fog on the F80 even if I could...) - but that might be a limitation of my photographic ability. The second command dial on the F80 is obviously an advantage, but I'm used to the press-and-roll shuffle from my Canons (although Martin's comments about the interface of the N70/F70 confirm my suspicions about what would otherwise be a good low-end universal option; I'm only happy for the interface to be compromised so much). The F80 is obviously a higher-end camera than the F75, though - I'll look into it. It's just a shame that it's a bit chubby compared with the Eos 500 that I'm used to. Don't get me wrong: the F5 and D700 aren't "too heavy" most of the time, but they're a little much to carry when I'm not sure I'm actually going to do any photography...<br />

<br />

It's a pity that there's no more universal solution. Maybe I'm unduly scared of external light meters; a fair bit of manual interaction I can live with, but even my Bessa R has a TTL meter. Maybe someone will take the financial risk and license the F mount to fill the gap in the market - I'd have thought Nikon might cut a discounted deal if there was a "no digital" clause.<br />

<br />

Thanks for the opinions, all.</p>