Happy Birthday Kodachrome -- Photo Historical Society meeting

<p>I've been celebrating the 75th anniversary of Kodachrome all year. I almost missed the fact that 16mm Kodachorme movie film was introduced on April 15, 1935. I went to a meeting of The Photographic Historical Society last ngiht. Bill Lane (who spent over 30 years supporting Kodachrome processing) spoke on the history of Kodachrome. Among ther things, I leaned that:</p>

<ul>

<li>Before the consent decree in 1955, all process designations were internal. That is why the first published process designation is K-11.</li>

<li>There are distinct versions of Process K-14 for 35mm, super 8, 120 format, and minilabs (K-lab). The 120 version used high agitation to get the necessary uniformity. Coupler levels were reduced to match the contrast of the 35 mm version.</li>

<li>Many labs converted 35mm machines to the high agitation, low coupler process.</li>

<li>Dwaynes runs an intermediate process with moderate agitation and coupler levels. </li>

<li>Dwaynes could not keep running K-14 much beyond the end of the year even if they wanted to. They are using coupler leftover from Fairlawn and Lausanne. The couplers have not been produced in several years.</li>

<li>K-lab was a technical success, but a failure in the market. This minilab version of Kodachrome produced excellent results. The idea was to provide K-14 processing in many more locations. Most of the K-lab units were acquired by existing labs who were then able to get rid of their chemical analysts and other technically competent staff.</li>

</ul>

<p>We also viewed a video of the final rolls of Kodachrome coming off the assembly line.</p>

<p>Long-time member Rolfe Fricke displayed two Leica cameras. One was once owned by Leopold Mannes and the other had been owned by Leopold Godowski. These two Leopolds were the "Man" and "God" who invented Kodachrome.</p>

<p>There was a question on Kodachrome that no-one in attendance could answer. Are there any images left from the first (dye bleach) Kodachrome process that was used from 1935 to 1938? None of us have had ever seen one. There are many examples from 1938 on. (This was the year that the selective re-exposure process was introduced.)</p>

<p>I've updated my K-75 celebration site with new links to historic and contemporary Kodachrome images. I will add more when I find them.</p>

<p>Ron - noting your comment that Dwaynes are using left-over couplers which have not been produced in several years.....does this mean that there is any risk of them "running out" and not being able to continue processing to the target date of 31st December? <br>

(I'm thinking that there must be very many Kodachrome films now being brought out of freezers, fridges and cupboards with this final date quickly approaching! Hopefully Kodak have allowed for this.....)</p>

<p>John - Thanks for the tip. I will have to look harder. The only color photographs I've found so far that were taken before 1938 were clearly sheet film. These were likely autochrome or dufaycolor or one of the other additive screen processes. If you have a link to those pre-1938 Kodachrome images, let me know. Otherwise, I;ll keep looking. </p>

<p>I never used Kodachrome films before, but i would like to try a few rolls while i still have the chance to get them developed. Mainly so i can say that i have done so. However the only place i found to purchase some rolls was the auction site. They are usually short dated, and always for auction, so i always end up getting out bid at the last second, mainly because I'm never sure how much to max my offer at.<br>

Does anyone know where i could just buy out-right some rolls of Kodachrome film, preferably from the last run.</p>

<p>dan,</p>

<p>If you look for "buy it now" prices on eBay, you can purchase directly and avoid the bidding. The last emulsion number was 1563. It expires in November 2010. Typical prices run from $15 to $20 for a 36 exposure roll. </p>

<p>More Kodachrome trivia: In 1989 when John Duncan (mentioned in the article earlier in this thread) and I were both working in film manufacturing, John decided to paint the post in the middle of our office that holds up the building. John chose a cassette deisgn for its pleasing graphics even though it was out of date. After DX coding started, cassettes got very busy. This is the same version that Anne Laddon used in her "<a href="http://www.anneladdon.com/artwork/gallery.php?image_id=45">Exposed</a>" poster. </p>

<div>00WHJB-237761584.jpg.2c96a2ac00b9774337cb1e17d4f72d7c.jpg</div>

<p>Kodachrome is like a favorite uncle who has a terminal illness. We are all coming to visit while we can. We are sad for the loss, but we all know that this product had a long and successful life. How many photographic product lines (in addition to Leica) have been around for 75 years? I wouldn't consider myself an apologist, but I will admit to nostalgia and affection for what Kodak used to be. I have a number of friends who still work there. I have no affection or loyalty for current management.</p>

<p>When I left Kodak 4 year ago I started posting here more often. I set two rules for myself. I wont write anything that is false or misleading. I wont write anything that would be harmful to the company. I've been gone long enough that there is very little about plans for future products that I know that could be harmful. </p>

<p>Ron...I always look forward to reading your posts about film in general and Kodachrome in particular.</p>

<p>My introduction to Kodachrome came in 1959 when I received my first 'real' camera (meaning it had adjustable focus, aperture, and shutter speeds)...a Kodak Pony IV. I loaded it up with a roll of Kodachrome and now over 50 years...and 10's of thousands of slides later...it's time to say adios. BTW...I still have that Pony and it still works perfectly, although it's no longer my go-to camera.</p>

<p>Recently I was going thru a bunch of 20-year old slides...some Kodachrome and some Agfachrome. One particular building ended a roll of Agfa and also began the roll of Kodachrome. The Agfa had gone completely magenta...while the Kodachrome was still dead on the money. Both were stored under identical conditions and never subjected to adverse temperature or humidity conditions.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Bob,</p>

<p>You're 100% right. I've seen Kodachromes taken in WWII and Korea. Compare them to Agfa, Dufaycolor or Ansco shot at the same time and the Kodachromes look like they were shot last month, not 60 or so years ago. The non-Kodachromes have turned magenta and are totally unviewable, never mind making a print or scanning.</p>

<p>I have about 15 rolls of K64 in the freezer that I will shoot off in the summer and get over to Dwayne's by September or October. I don't ant to get caught short if they use all the couplers before 12/31/10.</p>