Film and air travel

<p>Aside from the idiots at PHI that didnt know my Canon A1 was a camera, handled it in such a way i was getting ready to call someone over to witness it falling out of their careless hands, nearly getting arrested when i reached over to pull my backpack top (i only had the one camera, so just through it in my backpack along with some clothes/computer etc) incase my camera had moved to the top of the bag it wouldnt fall out of the bag and onto the floor - i have had no issues flying with film. I have in the past asked for hand inspections and have gotten them, but that film was approaching 15passes under the xray. If its new, it is definitely not worth the hassle.</p>

<p>I've had more problems with security personnel handling my cameras. They're just not used to old film cameras anymore. Digitals they just ask you to power them up and see if they are in fact cameras, same they do with laptops, but they look genuinely perplexed with film cameras as they don't know what to inspect or what to look for in them.</p>

<p>Remove the lens, carry them unloaded, some agents ask you to open the back door, if you have grips or power winders, take them off too. The simpler your camera looks, the less parts to check and/or remove, the faster you'll go through inspection and checkpoints.</p>

<p>If I plan to shoot Tri-X at ASA 1600/3200 I mail the film to my location. Post service does not X-ray small packages. <br>

Otherwise, you just carry it in your carry on. Scanners are legally safe up to 400 in USA; 800 in Japan. Europe - depends.<br>

Typically, you need not worry about fog unless you plan to push your film.</p>

<p>If you are concerned about x-rays, you need to place your film in an x-ray bag made for transporting film. <br>

I work with the air transport industry and with the TSA occasionally. The level of x-ray radiation that you and your film will receive while in flight is quite a bit more than what you will receive going through the airport security screening. You can find the specific levels online from some of the universities and from a company that makes the x-ray equipment (Smith's Detection). I've had to deal with this very issue concerning product that I ship around the world. <br>

As far as dealing with the TSA...it depends on the airport and the particular personnel that you deal with. Some are very understanding and will be glad to help. Some are knuckle-dragging thugs whose only purpose in life is to bully people. I've been lucky not to have crossed paths with the thugs. <br>

I'm sure some other people here have specific experience with film and can tell you which one's are more susceptible to x-rays. <br>

That's my 2 cents.</p>

<p>Rob,<br>

Yes it is true. I've seen the results. Many airports rely on automated scanners for checked bagage. they start with a low power scan and then zero in on "interesting" areas according to their programming. The high power scans on selected area have destroyed many images on film.</p>

<p>Carry-on scanners are another matter. They are limited to 1 milli-Roentgen for each scan. The film will get that much radiation in 3-5 days in most areas of the world. I have yet to see a confirmed case of radiation damage from carry-on scanners.</p>

<p>I had a hand in designing two different generations of 800 speed film. We ran may radiation sensitivity tests. It takes about 35 milli-Roentgens (at least 35 trips through the airport) to cause an effect big enough that a very critical observer might be able to find.</p>

<p>I've never had any problems with color or b&w film being scanned as carry on. Mexico and Europe require it to go through the scanner. I've never had any problems with film up to 800iso. Keep in mind some countries like Mexico do limit how many rolls of film you may bring into the country. Most of the time they don't enforce it but sometimes you get the magic red light at customs and they do enforce it. Trying to explain that 30 rolls of 120 film isn't a lot of film compared to 35mm is pretty much useless. </p>

<p>Hi </p>

<p > </p>

<p >I have travelled with and without a lead lined bag for my films and I alway have them in my carry-on luggage as most of the others have mentioned I have never experienced any problems (damaged or deteriorated film) with my films being x-rayed while travelling. A few members have mentioned that you might have problems in some airports if you have your films in a lead lined bag, I personally never been questioned or had the luggage hand checked and I travelled trough Australia, Thailand, Singapore, Austria, just to name a few. However as Emilio mentioned I encountered an airport staff member once that was a little bit perplexed on why I was still carrying a film camera around and asked if he can have a look at it. I found that in most cases if anything like this happens the best thing to do is be polite and courteous explain your situation and you should be fine. Keep in mind that every time you travel might be different, if in doubt you can always contact the airports you plan to travel trough regarding any restrictions.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I Fed Ex my film to arrive before I do and Fed Ex it back directly to the photo lab for processing. Sure it costs more but the peace of mind is worth it.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>A brilliant strategy, with one fatal flaw.</p>

<p>Airfreight despatches are scanned at point of international embarkation and again on transfer through customs at the destination. (Otherwise smugglers would just ship firearms, drugs and explosives around the world disguised as ordinary packages). The only difference being — your film is probably getting scanned with a lot more power than if you took it with you as carry on luggage.</p>

<p> </p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>Not too long ago I flew from Kansas to Los Angeles and back, I had about 6 rolls of 400 (loose) and 1 roll of 1600 in a little Olympus XA-4. The 400 looked fine; the 1600 was clearly fogged to the point of unusability. The XA and all the film was in a plastic baggie so it could easily be hand-checked, but in LA they wouldn't do it -- said they didn't have time.<br>

<br /> Tomorrow I'm leaving for South Carolina; all the film is gonna be in a lead bag.</p>