Yet another lens question: if you could only have 2 lenses...

misou_ho

<p>the Nikon <strong>18</strong>-<strong>70mm</strong> f/3.5-4.5 <em>$450.00</em><br>

<em> </em></p>

<blockquote>

<p>I did a quick search & that's what it said. I also found it to be high. I guess with some time you can find it cheaper.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><em> </em></p>

<p>To Eric; thanks for your quote. I`m sorry, I was probably thinking in spanish, or even worst, in "spanglish"... I have already checked that this word isn`t listed at the dictionary. As you say I wanted to mean something close to versatile, in the way that it could offer more aesthetic possibilities for different needs.<br /> ----<br /> <small>(I unconsciously translated "polivalencia" (=<em>polyvalent</em>) to an inexintent term. In spanish, the chemical term <em>polyvalent </em>is also correctly used instead of <em>all-purpose</em> or <em>versatile. </em>This words can be also applied to the spanish languaje, which could be <em>extremely</em> subjective, as its terms are usually so versatile).</small></p>

<p>okay, Misou shoots landscapes and portraits, so why on earth would he need auto focus? not only is it not a limitation of the D40, but it's one less bit techno crap that won't get in the way of his creativity. </p>

<p>And what's wrong with spending $1500 on a lens for a D40. Do you honestly think that a print made from an image shot with a D40 is going to be inferior to that of the latest flavour of the week digicam? Misou asked for lens upgrade options, not poor advice on upgrading a camera that is probably one of the best SLR's that Nikon have made.</p>

<p>I have to say this one more time. We seem to have named every lens made in the US. Some of us just trying to add noodles to the soup.</p>

<p>For 1369.00 delivered (and he has a $1500.00 budget and old camera) he can buy a brand new D90, an 18-105 vr lens and a 70-300 AFS VR lens! All new with a waranty. All from Adorama; a highly reputable dealer. </p>

<p>Which of the suggestions above give him more capability than that? He will vastly increase his low light performance. Vastly increase his resolution. Gain a screen he can actually see. Gain video. Gain 40 autofucus points. Gain half again in frame rate. Gain live view which for macro is a nice thing. Gain the ability to add and use non AFS lenses for the future and wind up with a back-up camera. And much more. </p>

<p>And he is not supposed to do this so he can get two sigma or two tamron lenses?</p>

<p>OP here. Thank you everyone for your responses. I'm sure you all have very good reason to recommend what you did. I will explore all of the suggestions I receive.<br>

<br />To clarify things a bit, I've only had the D40 for about two months and it's my first DSLR. Got it on clearance for 1/3 the original MSRP so I feel like I can splurge just a bit on the lenses. So far I really like playing with it but I feel the lens I have is limited so I plan on upgrading in the near future so I can further my photography. I don't mean to drop $1500 right off the bat. I just wanted to get expert opinions on what lenses I should really focus and do research on (there are sooo many out there.)<br>

Thanks again.</p>

<p>whatever you do, don't splurge $450 for a new 18-70mm. i love that lens --- i have two. really.you can get that used for less than $200. i had that lens for months with the D40 as my everyday-carry camera. very nice kit, even for street.</p>

<p>a great move to get good glass and learn from your camera, the D40 is a very good learning tool. i suggested the 18-50mm f/2.8 and the sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 earlier. now if you're in the mood to splurge, add the 35mm f/1.8 or the sigma 30mm.</p>

<p>you hit the pause button on your splurge there and continue on after a few years for a camera upgrade. the D40 is a wonderful second body.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>okay, Misou shoots landscapes and portraits, so why on earth would he need auto focus? not only is it not a limitation of the D40, but it's one less bit techno crap that won't get in the way of his creativity.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>i agree with the reasoning here, but manual focus is an acquired taste, especially considering we're talking about someone who's only had their DSLR for 2 months.</p>

<p>but, if the OP were to go the MF route, two sweet lenses would be the tokina 35/2.8 macro and the voigtlander 58/1.4.both are well within budget.</p>

<p>Not necessarily recommending the Nikon 18-70 for your needs, given that you have an 18-55 kit lense, but if you buy one, be aware that Adorama has them used for less than $200, KEH has them used for $250. B&H doesn't have them today but it's worth checking there too if you buy one. All three of these stores routinely get recommended by Photo.net members (see the "Community" tab) and I have been happy with used purchases from all of them.</p>

<p> </p>