What to do...stick with screwmount or move to M?

rmeskill

<p>So I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do here. Recently I purchased a IIc screwmount with a 3.5cm f3.5 Elmar lens. Unfortunately it has a bit of a pinhole problem in its first curtain (<a href="../leica-rangefinders-forum/00W5r5">http://www.photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00W5r5</a>), but otherwise it works well. So I'm in a bit of a pickle. I like the compactness of the III series, but I love the functionality of the M2/M4/M6 for their auto framelines with multiple lenses. Unfortunately I'm a bit daunted by the sheer price of most M-series lenses, and while I know I can get adapters for the screwmounts the only screwmount lenses I have are that 35mm Elmar and a 50mm f2 Jupiter for my Zorki 4. I'm willing to spend a bit of money to get into the system as I just sold an old camera and have roughly a grand to make it happen, but I'd rather not back myself into a corner one way or the other-either with outdated and decaying iii bodies/lenses or by not having enough money to get the lenses I'd like for the M series.<br>

So if I keep the IIc I'll need to have the curtain replaced, which I think I can get done for ~$150. I might try to apply some liquid electrical tape first to see if that helps, but I'm betting it's going to be a new curtain for me. I generally like fast lenses, used mostly for available light shots, indoors and out, so I'd probably want at least a 35mm and 50mm, with perhaps an upgrade to a 28 or wider and maybe a 90 or a 75 for portraiture. I like the collapsible Elmar 50 in screwmount-it is just about as small collapsed as a lens will get with a Leica, but granted only as fast as 3.5 or 2.8. I'd like to keep the system as compact as possible as I'd like to use it primarily for discrete street photography. Ok, I've rambled on enough-thanks for everyone's help in advance, and I know this is really a personal preference call, but just wanted some help on it...</p>

<p>If you have the money, get an M. I shot with a IIIa for about two years before I moved up to an M3. The viewfinders on the Screwmounts can be a pain due to having to switch between viewfinder and rangefinder. You can find a user M3 or M2. Around five years ago I picked up a very nice M3 for around $500, and about a month ago I picked up an M2 for around the same price.<br>

In terms of lenses you have your choice of Leica's (most are expensive, but some can be quite reasonable), VC's, Older LTM's, and the Zeiss offerings. I bought a 1969 DR Summicron about three months ago for under $300, it had an engraving where the eyes go and it doesn't bother me, I'm a shooter, not a fondler.<br>

In terms of fast lenses you could could consider the ltm Nikkor 50/1.4, the Canon 50 1.2, 1.4, and 1.8. The 1.8 is a stellar performer and can be found fairly cheap.<br>

I'd say you're best bet would be to try one out and see if you like it, you could also consider the Bessa's. You can get a new one for about the price of a used M, and I think they all have internal meters, if that interests you.</p>

<p>I have a Leica III which I love but if I use it to any extent, it always ends up needing maintenance. Kind of like my old 1959 <a href="http://austin-rover.ru/wp-content/uploads/Austin-Rover-Healey-Sprite-1958_2.jpg">Austin Healey Sprite</a>. I loved driving that car but it was always in the shop for something. </p>

<p>I would consider retiring or selling your old Barnack body. Consider an M2 with lens adapters or a IIIg. After a good CLA by <a href="http://www.sherrykrauter.com/">Sherry Krauter</a>, either should give you years of trouble free service.</p>

<p>I have a M2 and a M4-P. Had them both since the early '80s. Just got a IIIf a week ago. I dedicated it to a 15mm Heliar for a while until I can find a 50mm collapsible that I can afford.<br>

The IIIf is nice but not nearly as ergonomic in so many ways as the M2 or M4-P. When comparing to the M's rangefinder is a little difficult and the viewfinder in small and squinty. Still, it's compact and nice to hold.<br>

Sometimes it's not all about taking pictures.</p>

<p>If your main interest is to take pictures with a Leica an M2 or M4 is the way to go. Look for one in good condition then add a 50mm Elmar or 35mm Summaron (if you can find one). Take a long range view and add lenses as your budget permits. My preference is to stick with Leitz or Leica lenses but others have different views. I've also taken some fine photos with a Kodak Pony 35, but only because its the camera that slways sits in the back seat of my car. </p>

<p>Pick up a user quality M-2 or M-3 (read not great cosmetics) leave the mint ones to the fondlers/ collectors.<br>

Use adapters with thread mount lenses, consider Cosina/ Canon LTM lenses, again look for Leica M lenses in user condition, older ones that are perfect cosmetically but have clear optics (no fungus nor haze).<br>

Your budget seems to justify expenditure on the above comments. I'd contact Youxin Ye in Canton, MA as he sells M2 and M3 Leicas in user condtion that have been cleaned, lubed and adjusted by him.</p>

<p>Ryan, get the Leica IIc done right. Besides, you'll have to get it done eventually anyway.</p>

<p>You can always buy the other M bodies later and the screwmount will always be usable as say for example, an ultra wide body (when you <strong>marry</strong> a favorite wide lens and viewfinder to it)<br>

I did that with my Leica I f, and it's become an essential compact specialty camera for me.</p><div>00WBNA-234951784.JPG.6ddc197e86e26102a28dcabe3a178fad.JPG</div>

<p>"I generally like fast lenses, used mostly for available light shots, indoors and out, so I'd probably want at least a 35mm and 50mm, with perhaps an upgrade to a 28 or wider and maybe a 90 or a 75 for portraiture."<br>

You have described the M6 (or M-4P, which is the same as the M6 less the meter). </p>

<p>Another vote for an M2 or M3 with a LTM adaptor. This gives you the best of both worlds- LTM and M series lenses. If you are patient you will find what you need at fair prices. Sell the IIc body.<br>

You can also look for a Bessa or Canon body. Both have more M like ergonomics and very bright combinded viewfinders with frame lines. <br>

Good luck.</p>

<p>I think you're all right-I'm probably going to end up with an M4 or M6 at some point, but might bridge the gap with something less expensive while I accumulate some lenses. Though Mark-what's a Canon L1-that's the first I've heard of that one...</p>

<p>I started with a IIIa and a Summar and used it for about a year, until I had the money for a VERY used M3 and collapsible 50mm Summicron. I eventually sold the M3 and lens to buy an M4 and then, eventually, I bought a 50mm Summicron. A few years later, I bought a 35mm Summicron. Think of it as building a kit. It may be expensive, but it will last you years and years.</p>

<p>Well I'm a bit of a impulsive buyer, but I picked up an absolutely gorgeous M6 for a very reasonable price. I figured if I was going to spend $500-700 on a clean CLA'd M2/3/4 why not just spend the extra couple hundred and skip the interim step? Now the question is to sell the IIc or to keep it around as a second body. Unfortunately I'm left hanging for a couple days until my LSM>M adapters come in, so I don't have any usable lenses for the time being. All I can do is drool at how sexy the M6 is and wait...</p>