Just a few tips on a beginners start

<p>I was considering the D5000 but plan on having this body for a while so I need an AF motor in the body and want a better LCD screen. And I don't understand why it would be all to necessary for a swivel LCD screen, like on the D5000, possibly for macro photography. I don't understand why but I can't get my mind off of the D90, I am looking on buying that body but just still haven't manned up to buying it new/used/refurbished or what lens to get or possibly just get the kit lens of 18-105 f/3.6-5.6.</p>

<p>Nathan,</p>

<p>One thing you should consider.</p>

<p>Right now there's a D90 with your name on it sitting on a shelf in a store or warehouse somewhere. You've decided that much.</p>

<p>The problem is: it's still sitting on a shelf...it's not getting used.</p>

<p>Buy the D90 with kit lens and go take pictures.</p>

<p>When you decide that you've outgrown the kit lens, you do some more homework and figure out which additional lens to get. But you can still be taking pictures while the lens is on a shelf...you can't while the D90 is.</p>

<p>GO BUY YOURSELF A NEW CAMERA!<br /> :D</p>

<p>I'm no expert of any kind. After 40 years of trying to take pictures I learned only one thing - camera bodies aren't very important. I'd shop for the best and fastest wide angle or normal prime lens your money can buy, then buy whatever camera body that attaches to.</p>

<p>I'm new to this too, but here's my 2 cents to add. The D5000 has the same image sensor as the D90. The LCD screens are not that much different. The D90 has a 3 inch, the D5000 has a 2.7 inch. Are you really going to notice a 0.3 inch difference? As for the swivel screen, even if you don't use it in live view mode, it still allows you to turn the screen "closed" which will help protect it from scratches when not in use. The D5000 is a couple hundred bucks cheaper, which if you're on a budget could mean money for an extra lens.<br>

The D90 being able to use more lenses refer to older lenses that do not have the AF motor built in. I believe the new ones all do. Both can mount an external flash to the hot-shoe. Someone said the D90 can fire the flash from off camera, you'll have to decide if that's an important feature for you.<br>

Just a couple of things to think about. BTW I own a D5000 and so far I love it. But if any of the other things people mentioned about the D90 are going to be important to you then you may want to consider it.<br>

The D90 is a very popular and reliable Nikon camera. I considered buying it myself but at the time it didn't fit my budget, so I went with the D5000. I've not regretted that decision yet, knowing that I'll likely progress to a point where I'll need to upgrade eventually anyway. I can always get the D90 then if need be, or whatever model meets my needs at that point, and still keep the D5000 as a great backup camera.</p>

<p>Doubthing about body and lens to invest; but i have an idea of what to take pics of?! <br />As a beginner I totally understand how Nathan is feeling as I have the same issue. I have been using consumer digital cameras for years. <br />Now I have been playing with the idea to start taking pictures for social gatherings for the last year and stepping up in using a digital SLR camera. I see myself staring with a wedding of a friend which is coming up in August, it will be an indoor evening event with low light areas whit candles etc and a fully lighted podium. Once I get comfortable with it hopefully other weddings, social events of family and friends to follow. I would also like to have the option to take the couple outside for outdoor photography eventually as I really like using my creative mind in positioning people in different settings, I really enjoy that already with my " old & simple" camera. <br />Next to that I would like to use the camera during our dance events and holidays me and my husband are both active and go salsa dancing, we like hiking, visiting pretty nature etc. <br /><br />Now I am doubting between de Nikon D90 and D300s, I have been on the internet a lot the last months to figure out what to start whit, having done some research a lot of the used terminology is really new to me so the main differences is not that clear. <br /><br />Most of the reviews regarding the Nikon D300s has been very beaming which got me exited to perhaps invest in a good solid camera that can take me for a while together with the Nikkor 18-200mm VRII lens…which I understand is a very good starter lens? <br />But the D90 is sooooo much cheaper which makes me afraid of investing in a camera like the D300s. My husband is voting to go for the more durable and newer camera which will last longer before I can imagine replacing it…..and play with the D300s and my first lens for the first year and start investing in other lenses later depending on what i enjoy doing with my camera. I would really like to know what your advise is?</p>

<p>Just FYI, Nathan already purchased his camera so I think it's already pointless to give him alternative suggestions.</p>

<p>As for Macaan, I'd recommend getting the D90, and saving the money to buy more lenses. The D300s is a great camera, but a D90 is already a *lot* of camera for a beginner. There are differences between the D300s and the D90, but for a beginner (and for most people in general), 99% of the time these differences won't be used. On the other hand, the D90 is lighter and more portable.</p>

<p>For the photography situations you mentioned, nature, indoor weddings, etc., your picture quality will depend much more on your range of lenses than on any difference between the D300s and the D90.</p>

<p>@ Philip & Luc; thank you for your advice!<br />I have read on a lot of different forums that its all about the lens instead of the body so i am taking that advise and go ahead with the d90 especially if the difference is not that noticeable. I was also very afraid that after doing such a big investment something better would come on the market?! <br /><br />I have done some research yesterday to learn about Aperture, shutter speed and ISO....so i get your comment on getting a low f-stop for low lighting and a flash :)</p>

<p >What kind of lens would you suggest as a starter? <br />I have read somewhere that a lens with a non variable f-stop lens would be a great investment? But if i get a lens with a fixed f-stop number am i still able to change the Aperture settings in the camera to get the result i want?<br />Let me refrain my question…what would be 1 or 2 good DIVERSE lenses, that are also afordable? I will deff go and look for second hands, as advised above.<br>

Thnx</p>

<p>Macaan:</p>

<p>You seem to like weddings, so "which lens" is actually kind of a tough question to answer. If anybody with wedding experience chimes in, I'd take their advice over mine. My impression is that for weddings, the most important lens is the standard zoom (for APS-C cameras like the D90, roughly 18-55mm). There are *SO* many lenses to choose from in this category. Budget options include:</p>

<p>Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8<br>

Sigma 18-50mm (Sigma has tons of lenses in this range with varying features, such as optical stabilization, better macro capability, some constant f/2.8, some variable f/2.8 to something)<br>

Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 HSM Macro OS</p>

<p>These are all roughly around $450. You really just pick around your shooting style. 70mm gives you a tad more reach (you can take pictures from further away... less chance of disturbing people or being distracting). Macro lets you take passable pictures of smaller objects (rings or flowers and such). f/2.8 performs better in low-light and lets you blur the background more. The Nikon brand lenses with roughly these configurations are really, really expensive.</p>

<p>You may be tempted to get the kit lens: for the D90 it's the 18-105mm. This is a decent versatile lens with longer reach but doesn't have as wide of an aperture capabilities. It's a great starter lens, but just keep in mind that, as far as I know, 18-50'ish, f/2.8 lenses are the bread and butter of wedding photographers. Eventually if you find wedding photos fun, you might want to focus on this type of lens and not double cover the focal length (i.e. consider forgoing the 18-105mm in lieu of a zoom with f/2.8).</p>

<p>The next thing you'll probably want is a flash: Nikon SB-600. $230. Easy. Done.</p>

<p>For a 2nd lens, consider a prime. They work better in low-light, and they do great with portraits... same exact advice we gave Nathan. Either the 35mm f/1.8 ($200), or the 50mm f/1.4 (the AF-S version is expensive, the older AF version is very affordable). Most people prefer the 35mm... but what you can do is get your camera, put on the zoom lens, and zoom to 35mm, snap some photos, zoom to 50mm, repeat, and see which feels more comfortable. 50mm might feel a bit cramped.</p>

<p>And, just a standard disclaimer: getting this stuff isn't going to instantly make your photos better. You still have to know how to use them well, and that's a matter of practicing, reading, and maybe taking classes.</p>

<p>@ philip; Thank you for taking the time. The wedding is not something that is leading but as i would also like to do inside pictures for personal social events; like work, salsa, concerts (once i get the experience) a lens that would be good for low light would be good to have?!<br>

I am just not sure to pay the extra and go for the kit or just play around in the shop (will head there in a min) and see what lense to buy?! in the meantime scroll the internet for 2nd hands!<br>

Totally with you on the learning part, i am reading, watching tutriols and hopefully once i get the camera do workshops! <br />regards</p>

<p>by the way if i would go for the prime being 35mm or the 50mm what kind of zoom would i combine with that?<br>

And can i not usin e the 35mm for ' learning" in the low lighted socail events also like weddings before spending the price on a 17 or 18 -50.55mm lenses.<br>

note: a friend lives near a formule 1 racing track and i would love to be able to take pics of that?<br>

Thnx</p>

<blockquote>

<p> i would also like to do inside pictures for personal social events; like work, salsa, concerts (once i get the experience) a lens that would be good for low light would be good to have?!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>People generally use lenses with larger apertures for low-light and 'people pics'. It's why I'm recommending f/2.8 zooms and prime lenses.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>by the way if i would go for the prime being 35mm or the 50mm what kind of zoom would i combine with that?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Pretty much what I recommended, given the picture situations you have been talking about. Although, if you're aspirations aren't as grand as super pro wedding photographer, maybe which zoom you get doesn't really matter.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>And can i not usin e the 35mm for ' learning" in the low lighted socail events also like weddings before spending the price on a 17 or 18 -50.55mm lenses.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Hrm, a lot of people will tell you that prime lenses make a good starter lens. The reason they say that is because generally they force you to walk around to compose a shot, which is always a good mindset for a taking pictures. People with zooms get lazy and just turn the ring.</p>

<p>But I tend to think that prime lenses have a narrow usefulness, which tends to be bad if you're only going to have ONE lens for awhile. They can't focus close/do macro usually. You can't always walk around and get in the right place: you're going to be pissed at the zoo. Both other people might disagree with me and recommend that you start with a prime. If you think the f/2.8 zooms I recommended are expensive, they're really only marginally more expensive that the cost of the 18-105 kit lens IIRC.</p>

<p>The thing about wedding/event photography: the 'Kodak moments' are really fleeting. Smiles come and go, kids pose and then shy away. You sometimes don't have time to run around and get in the right place with a prime. If you think you're going to be posing people, and have time to compose the shot, then of course a prime lens will be great.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>note: a friend lives near a formule 1 racing track and i would love to be able to take pics of that?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Just note: you can snap a few pics with any lens. Any lens will take a picture. The question is, whether or not it'll take the kind of picture you want. If you want to zoom in on the cars from long distance and 'freeze' them... since they're fast moving objects, you're moving into expensive lens territory. I've never been to the race track, but I'm guessing 55-200 f/2.8 type lenses, or even more reach. If you had a cheaper 55-200 f/4'ish... you could crank up the ISO, but I don't know if that would be sufficient. If it's not a specific/frequent hobby of yours, I wouldn't bother with buying the lens (maybe rent it).</p>

<p>Thank you...perhaps i want toooo much to start with?!<br />Found a great course in my country really exaited about that and will go for the D90 with 35mm or 50mm prime and figure out what kind of zoom during the course as part of it is experimenting with different lenses!<br>

thank you!</p>