Camera switched to time delay on its own?

paul_heagen

<p>I was taking pictures today when all of a sudden, the camera changed modes. I pressed the shutter button and the shutter stayed open until I pressed it again -- essentially going to a mode as if I wanted to do a manual timing of the shutter. <br>

I have not used the camera for many years, so I have forgotten the settings. I don't recall changing anything for this to happen. <br>

I do not have the manual anymore. Does anyone know if/where the camera has a setting for this I can turn of -- or any other explanation?</p>

<p>Thanks. </p>

<p>Interesting....camera is now allowing me to operate shutter w/o flm being loaded and I am not getting the "B" or mirror lock-up syndrome (whichever it was...). <br>

Still curious about what may have happened. Grateful if anyone can tell me where the mirror lock-up control is on my model. Unless the chip is getting old and losing its mind. </p>

<p>The mirror lock-up is controlled via custom function #5 (0 = no mirror lock / 1= mirror lock). Mirror lock is linked to using the self timer only, so that there would be no need to hit the shutter button again to drop down the mirror (it only works when the self timer is set and automatically drops down the mirror when the photo is completed). When using Bulb, holding down the shutter button keeps the shutter upon and releasing the shutter button closes the shutter. I don't know what settings could have caused the issue you outlined.<br>

You can certainly operate the camera without film.</p>

<p>First, where is B bulb setting on the camera? Several of you have mentioned it but I do not see it.<br>

I concluded it is a glitch in the chip at this point. It is very intermittent but happens on several different settings, although mostly aperture-biased settings. Getting worse by the day. Shame to put much money into an old film camera that I can buy on eBay for $75 but I am stocked with more lenses that money with which to buy new ones to fit a decent digital.</p>

<p>Thanks for the help. </p>

<p>Bulb is the shutter speed setting after the 30 second setting (setting the shutter speed in M or Tv mode).</p>

<p>This may help you navigate the settings on the camera: http://www.eosdoc.com/manuals/?q=ElanII</p>

<p>It sounds as if you camera is malfunctioning or perhaps it needs a battery or you have a problem with battery compartment (see the referenced website under "known problems"). Would not spend money to fix since used EOS film cameras are quite cheap.</p>