E410 and 420

kevin_dixey2

<p>I have a Nikon D40 and I am feeling like I would like to switch back to an Olympus DSLR body. I had an E500 a while back and I liked it. I though the color was terrific and hated the tiny viewfinder and the kit lens (well, I like the 40-150 lens). The D40 is fine but I have a nice little collection of OM lenses (as well as an OM1n and 2n) and getting them to work on my D40 is a pain.</p>

<p>So...I was thinking I might want to switch back to having an Olympus DSLR body to simplify matters. I like shooting film but I shoot digital from time to time so I figured I could pick up a used body. I have been put of the Olympus E-VOLT loop for a while so I am not sure where to start. As I recall the E400 was a pretty cool little camera and was wondering what the fine folks here on the Olympus and Four-Thirds forums would recommend?</p>

<p>As I understand the viewfinder is still atrocious. I know there are some focusing screen options that help so I may have to do that (The D40 has a pretty nice viewfinder). Also, has the dynamic range issue with the cameras gotten any better? I never though the E500 was too bad in that regard and I think the much nicer color it produced more than made up for it.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>You might think about the m4/3 models EP-1 or EP-2. Also, Olympus has indicated they will have two new models coming out this fall - one believed to be a semi-pro model (don't know yet what they mean on that issue).</p>

<p>Using your OM lenses on an Olympus DSLR will be no easier than using them on your Nikon DSLR. Both require an adaptor and neither offers more utility than the other, other than Nikon's better quality finder.</p>

<p>Both the E410 and E420 have been replaced by the E620, which is a really good camera, but have you also looked at Nikon's D5000? Looks like a very nice camera for someone already invested in the Nikon system.</p>

<p>As the first responder noted, the micro four-thirds system is better than any DSLR for using older manual lenses because of the electronic finder's advantanges in enlarging the screen for focusing accuracy. The better electronic eyelevel finders in the Panasonic G1, G2, GH1 and the Olympus E-P2 and EPL-1 cameras fitted with the electronic VF2 finders would be hard to beat as a basis for using OM glass.</p>

<p>I primarily shoot film so I'm not too interested in spending a lot for a body. The idea is so I can use my OM lenses on digital when I shoot digital not to migrate from film to digital. FWIW the EP-1 and EP-2 are pretty nice and I suppose when I can no longer shoot film I might be tempted in that direction.</p>

<p>I was thinking the E420 because it is about the same size as my OM2n. I could also pick up a used E500. To be honest I have a bit of an aversion to the megapixel arms race in DSLRs (and digicams in general). My D40 at 6mp produces very nice images for what I need. For beter I would likely use film anyway.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Using your OM lenses on an Olympus DSLR will be no easier than using them on your Nikon DSLR. Both require an adaptor and neither offers more utility than the other, other than Nikon's better quality finder.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><strong>Greg </strong>- The problem is that there aren't any decent options to use the OM glass with the D40. The only one I have found is the <a href="http://www.leitax.com/OlympusOM-lens-for-Nikon-cameras.html">Leitax</a> and that requires me to disassemble the mount and put their mount on. That means a separate mount for each lens. I don't mind the assembly part, but at 60 Euros each that can get spendy. The Olympus E series at least allow me to use a single adapter that I can easily move from lens to lens in the field.<br>

<br /></p>

<p>If there is another way I'd love to hear about it.</p>

<p>FWIW I am not invested in the Nikon system. I have a D40 and a kit lens. I have no issues with the Nikon but I don't think its the best thing since penicillin either. It is simply a decent little DSLR that I use on occasion. I would like to be able to use my OM lenses with whatever DSLR I have. I don't like the Nikon kit lens (no offense to Ken Rockwell) and when I had the E500 I liked the 14-45 kit lens even less. I realize that there are better lenses (the 14-54 DZ is very nice) but I am not interested in spending that kind of money when I shoot film most often. Maybe someday but right now it isn't a priority.</p>

<p>In hindsight I should have kept the E500 but I didn't so...</p>

<p>I see your point about OM lenses to Nikon DSLR's. I googled the question and found this..</p>

<p><a href="http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00O0px">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00O0px</a></p>

<p>There are plenty of OM to Canon adaptors on eBay in addition to the OM to 4/3rd's adaptors, but it does look like you're pretty much outta luck on using them with your D40.</p>

<p>I would imagine the biggest reason for there being no adaptor for OM to Nikon F mount is, Nikon has never changed their mount like Canon and Olympus did so Nikon users can mount, without an adaptor, practically any Nikon F lens going back to 1977 or even any earlier lens adapted to the AI standard so there are thousands of inexpensive manual focus Nikkors</p>

<p>I think you are right, the D40 (as well as other Nikon DSLRs) tout the fact that any and all Nikon lenses can be mounted. Some lenses cannot meter and others have no AF but almost all of them fit and can work in some fashion. At first I thought that Nikon being so common that I could pick up a few nice lenses for the D40. Well it turns out that despite the sheer amount of Nikon glass out there they aren't all that inexpensive. If only I could use Konica lenses...those are both cheap and REALLY nice.</p>

<p>I think I am leaning toward an old E500. I like the smaller size of the E410/420 (close to the size of my OM bodies) but I found a mint E500 (in a box) with about 3K shutter actuations for $200 shipped. It's pretty tempting. It's a known quantity, I like the color that the old Kodak CCD produced and if I pop a KatzEye focus screen in it I should be able to make the manual focusing easier. I still think an E410/420 would be cool but as I said, I won't use it enough to make me want to invest a lot of time or money into this process. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>No guys, there's a physical thing, no marketing or any of the like. The OM and F mounts are like only half-a-millimeter difference in depth, and OM is shallower than F, so it's physically impossible. The EOS mount is a good 3 millimeters shallower than OM so there is plenty of room for an adapter.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Well it turns out that despite the sheer amount of Nikon glass out there they aren't all that inexpensive.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>They are not cheap b/c they can still be used in all the current Nikon dSLRs. When compared to the super expensive modern zoom lenses, they are relative "inexpensive" thus heavily sought after. By contrast, the Canon FD, Olympus OM, and Konica lenses are much much cheaper b/c they can no longer be used on the digital cameras from their parent company. However their prices are going up b/c of the popularity of the m4/3 systems, and you should really look into that instead of going back in time to get the last generation of dSLRs. You may be able to get a used G1 for around $3-400, and if you do so by selling the D40 kit, it should not cost you that much. With a cheap adapter for $50, you can use all the OM lenses. I use a 50/1/4 and 135/2.8 on my GH1 this way and really like it. The electronic view finder and the ability to zoom in make MF much much easier than E500 and the G1 may perform better in low light with better DR than E4xx and E5xx. </p>

<p>The current lines of dSLRs have been much improved over the D40 and E410 so you may want to take a different look. If you like the D40, keep in mind that it has been replaced by the D60, and the D60 has been replaced by the D3000. Thus the D40 is several generations old and the new ones may be even better for your needs. May be your photograph does not need AF, but AF is very helpful if you subject moves. It is difficult to mount the OM lens on the Nikon as you need to physically change the mount. This means that you may have to keep two separate sets of lenses and cameras for different needs. No one makes a perfect camera yet so sometimes this is inevitable.</p>

<p>All great suggestions...thank you everyone. I ended up picking up an Olympus E520 with under 500 shutter actuations for under $300 that I will pair up with my Olympus lenses. I'll sell the D40 kit to pay for it (it also has pretty low shutter actuations).</p>

<p>I'm looking forward to seeing how it all works out. Down the line I may opt for something like the G1. I even have an old OM to 4/3rds adapter somewhere. I'm going to look at a KatzEye focusing screen or at the very least the magnified eye piece to help with the tiny viewfinder.</p>

<p>CC - I can see why Nikon lenses are in demand. They did a smart thing by keeping the mount consistent. Also, Nikon makes really great lenses. I have some Konica glass sitting around that I may try to adapt to 4/3rd. I know there is a way to do that. I have a Konica 50/1.7 that is very VERY sharp. I'd be curious to see how that works on the E520.</p>

<p>Again, thanks everyone for your help.</p>

<p> </p>