Lee Filter Holder for the 14-24mm?

andrew_keam

<p>Hi, I saw that Lee plan to bring out a filter holder to accomodate the 14-24mm lens, overcoming the curved front of this lens. I also saw that they have no plans to have a polarizer work with this system. I hope this isn't a silly question but is there any thing to stop a modification made that enables the polarizer to go at the back of the lens (in between lens and body) or am I missing something optically here? Ideally, it would be an adaptor of some kind that still enables you to rotate it and determine the level/angle of polarization. If this did work then it should also be able to work with other lenses with a curved front. Any thoughts or suggestion would be greatly appreciated. <br>

Best regards Andrew</p>

<p>We also had a recent thread on this topic: <a href="http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00VzQr">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00VzQr</a></p>

<p>You can view the YouTube video demo by the Robert White camera store in the UK here: <a rel="nofollow" href="

target="_blank">

<p>That filter is huge; of course that is what it takes to have a filter for an ultra wide. It looks very inconvenient to me and I am sure it will also be expensive.</p>

<p>I have this lens on order, it will be in today or tomorrow.<br>

I dont think it was ever intended to have filters used on it anyways, i myself plan on using it more for indoor and night shots of people and landscape.<br>

I have seen some great long exposures with this lens and they look amazing, the sharpness is second to none!<br>

Ive also noticed other photographers use it mainly for HDR , therefore i would say its more of a marketing strategy by the Nikon corp. 14-24(ultra-ultra wide special application lens) and the 17-35 wide angle(general purpose) for normal people that wanna use filters.</p>

<p>Andrew, to answer your question, such a modification that you proposed would be, at the very least, extremely expensive or downright impossible due to lack of clearance between the rear element and bayonet mount. A simpler solution is to mount a 130mm square Schneider pol on the front of the lens via a modified Cokin X-Pro filter holder. A bit of googling and searching the Miranda site ought to shed light.</p>

<p>Many normal uses of a polarizer for a lens (especially those involving sky) don't work with a lens that wide, so don't sweat it. The only real useful use of a polarizer on y 11-16 (DX) for instance, is to work with reflections on water and such (also to "deepen" colors in a scene), but watch out if you have any sky because you will get a strange and unwanted effect.</p>

<p>If you want to use a polarizer a lot, this is the wrong lens. The 17-35 takes one just peachy, though.</p>