Adaptall-2 to EOS

sknowles

<p>I'm selling off most of my Minolta manual focus equipment, but in the collection is a Tamron 300mm f2.8 LF-ID with the 1.4x and 2x TC's and the complete front and rear filter sets which I'd like to use with my 5D. I noticed there are Adaptall-2 to EOS mount available. Has anyone used one, and if so, what is your experience? I realize the AF function doesn't work, but does the metering and infinity focus?</p>

<p>Metering and infinity focus work. However, because there is no linkage between the lens and the camera, the lens stays at whatever aperture you set. So if you shoot at f/16 the image in the viewfinder will be extremely dark. So to focus, you need to open up the lens, focus, then close it down.</p>

<p>Hi Scott,</p>

<p>I had one of these Tamron lenses briefly back in the EOS film era. I found that I could not focus adequately with it even on a static subject such as my son's soccer team huddled on the sidelines. Trying to focus on action was beyond my abilities, but you may be able to do better. I never was an action guy before the AF era.</p>

<p>I do now have a Katz Eye split image/microprism focusing screen in my 40D that would have helped out using the Tamron long ago on my Elan IIE. Live view will obviously help with static images. But everything the previous poster said is true. I found the lack of auto aperture even more difficult than lack of AF.</p>

<p>I used an M42 Adaptall mount with an M42 to EOS adapter. Going through a Nikon mount will be more secure than an M42 mount, but I'm quite sure you already know that. The native EOS Adaptall mounts are exceedingly rare and expensive when you find one on the used market.</p>

<p>Finally, where are you selling your Minolta equipment? I know you have some good stuff. I might be interested, but probably will not be able to afford it. My SRT102 has found new life in the hands of my artistic 16-yo daughter. It makes me very happy and proud.</p>

<p>Larry</p>

<p>You can find Adaptall to EOS mounts on ebay. I bought a couple that are made in China and are quite well made. Mine were chrome-plated brass, but I've recently only seen aluminum ones. I shoot primarily wide open or a stop or so down so the aperture issue isn't much of a problem for me-I can focus on my 5D at the working aperture. But as Larry mentioned it can be difficult for some.</p>

<p>I noticed almost all the adaptall-2 to EOS adaptors are sold through China or Hong Kong. Some now have some of the contacts for the EOS camera-lens connections. Has anyone experience with these? I'm only considering this because Tamron doesn't make an equivalent EOS mount lens and Canon's is beyond my financial reach. And ps, I got the initials wrong for the lens, it's the green IF-LD.</p>

<p>As for the Minolta gear, I'm working on a Web page with photos and descriptions, but for now you can get an overview and links to the lists of gear on my <a href="http://wsrphoto.blogspot.com/2010/03/equipment-for-sale.html">photo blog</a>.</p>

<p>The contacts are for focus assist. There are so many problems with them (really bad problems that could damage cameras) that I've never been tempted to try them. I can focus fine without the focus assist. BTW, Tamron's adapter didn't have focus assist.</p>

<p>Does anyone have any experience with the newer crop of aluminum (at least I guess they are, since that's what they look like) FD to EOS adapters? Or even Adorama's version? Wondering about fit, build quality, and function. Anyone?</p>