Xtol or DDX

david_clark4

Xtol is an excellent developer. I am one of the authors of previous threads regarding 'The Trouble with Xtol'. Kodak provided me with 30 1 litre replacement packages of developer and I have just purchased a case of the 5 litre packages. I have not had a single problem with any of them and my confidence has been restored.
William D. Lester

I have used Xtol for a few years and have yet to experience a problem. If you go the Xtol route, use distilled water for stock and dilutions. Make sure you use a minimum of 100ml of stock for every 80sq inches of film. I also mix at the highest temp listed on the package. Mixes easy. You may end up with a few granules left after mixing. I usually run mine through a fine mesh strainer if I see some. The only consensus on possible failure is shelf life. I would not let stock go past 30 days. I don't because I process enough film I use 5 litres up in a month. I would also decant into smaller bottles after mixing to prevent premature oxidation from partially filled containers and repeated opening.

I find Delta 100 and Xtol make a great combination. no grain in 8x10 enlargement, minimal up to 11x14 and great sharpness. I expose at ei50 and cut the Anchell and Troop time by 15%. I have pretty much settled on Xtol with 35mm except for PanF for which I will sometimes use Rodinal, depending on the subject matter.

Glad to see The Yellow Peril actually made good with someone on Xtol. It is a product I won't use after three failures & The Yellow Godfather not wanting to do much about it but replace the packages. Yep, they sent them to me and when I opened the box they were shipped in they had leaked in the box due to improper sealing of the foil packets. Really confidence inspiring. When the stuff works it is fine but the spectre of clear negatives right after having developed some successfully keeps me away from it.

> widest exposure lat

I know this isn't what you asked, but....

...just about anything will give a density range with Delta 100 that's _far_ wider than is printable on silver paper. I just took a quick look at my curve plots and they're all fairly straight from the speedpoint out 14 stops with normal development.

So...are you asking in order to solve a specific problem or just a general developer-recommendation question?

Anyway, about Xtol; I used it for a couple of years and it was particularly nice with Delta 100, but the "dreaded Xtol failure" occured and that was the end of that. I'd never had that experience with any other developer in 30 years.

XTOL is a very inexpensive and non-toxic developer and from my experience, yields very impressive results.

Delta 100 developed in XTOL 1:1 is heaven sent. The best way to describe my negs developed in it is they have an eye catching sparkle. You hold them up and look at 'em and you say "Wow!" to yourself. Sharp, lots of shades of gray with perfect highlights.

I mix up XTOL in 5 gallon batches, then top of the jugs to eliminate air and put partially used jugs in a spare refrigerator to extend the life. Unrefrigerated jugs of XTOL show no sign of spoilage after 6 months. Now, when you start using a jug and after a few weeks it is partially filled (7 months old now) it will begin to turn to a yellow color, but it takes weeks if not months. Even though it has turned yellow, I still dilute it 1:1 and have not noticed any change in neg density due to yellow color. In other words, it appears to be just as good as the fresh clear XTOL.

Although I don't bother to do this, anyone with past bad experience with XTOl might want to test it before using it on priceless negs. Whatever problems Kodak had with it before, they seem long since corrected and gone.

• 2 weeks later...

Xtol is easy to work with. Mixing it is the only challenge to worry about.

I recently experimented with Xtol (mixed solution) stored for 5+ years! And it was okay-- although I used more quantity than the minimum 100ml, simply because I had a lot of it, and I did not want to experiment too much! I don't recommend this, but the developer is stable!