Filters for Leica R lenses?

dave_kim3

<p>Hi all,<br>

Just had a question regarding which filters I could use for my Leica R lenses...<br>

I have a 24 f/2.8, a 50 f/1.4 (e55), and am planning on buying the f/4 80-200 (which, I believe uses the 60mm thread)...<br>

I am limited to only Leica filters, or I can use brands like B+W? Leica filters are extremely expensive, but I'd definitely prefer to spend some extra $$ for the well-being of my lenses :)...<br>

I was interested mainly/primarily in UV filters - since I'll be traveling this upcoming year...<br>

Thanks,<br>

Dave.</p>

<p>B+W and Heliopan are very high quality but still much cheaper than Leica filters. They are readily available in 55mm (I have tended to order them straight from Germany) - as regards 60mm, I've never seen a non-Leica filter in this size (but there may be some somewhere!). I've never seen a 55 -> 60mm step-up ring, either. B+W and Heliopan filters have mounts made of brass - much less likely to get stuck in the lens filter thread.</p>

<p>Thanks for your replies... So from what I figure, all the manufacturers use the same standards for the threads - i.e. a 55mm filter for a Leica would fit another brand lens? Forgive my ignorance :D... Just trying to make sure I got this right.</p>